1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best way to clean out a gas tank??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Jeff K
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to clean out a gas tank??

I finished draining all the nasty gas out of my 48 F3's tank last night and plan to take the tank out and clean it this weekend. Any advice on the best way to clean all the sludge out from the bottom of the tank...I was thinking about high pressure washing it but don't know if this is advisable...any thoughts? Thanks. Jeff K

Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Do you have a good radiator shop in your area? they can do the best job of cleaning it out.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Hello Jeff

In addition to the radiator shop option, there are kits available from Eastwood, POR15, and other sources that have a cleaner/sealer. If you go that route, be sure to follow the directions carefully to ensure a good result.

DW

Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Jeff K
Junior User
Not sure about the closest radiator shop...we live out in the sticks a bit...but I'll check in to this...might need this later anyway once I get the truck running. I'll check in to the kits from Eastwood and POR 15, seems like a viable DIY option.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
I like to start with steam cleaning it. I set up an old galvanized gas can with water in it on a propane burner, set the tank upside down and run a steam hose off the can up and into the fuel tank and steam away for 1/2 hour or more. I am reluctant to coat the tank since gasoline formulas have and will continue to change. What is good for todays fuels may not be ok for tomorrows fuels.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Jeff K
Junior User
Interesting idea Bill...thanks.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:43 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Should he remove the float unit before cleaning since i would think they are easy to damage ?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Fill it with E-85. That stuff will eat through anything.

Actually, I've had good luck with the cleaner and sealer from Eastwood.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Jeff K
Junior User
Jim, I'm definitely going to remove the fuel sending unit before cleaning the tank...a lot of good suggestions...just have to decide what best suits my needs. I plan to really inspect the tank this afternoon to see what condition it is in before deciding how to proceed.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you want ti DIY, here's how I did it: Years ago we'd hang the tank up from a tree or beam like a swing or set it in a wheelbarrow, Fill it about 1/4 full with a strong hot water and detergent solution (we used Tide, but today I would use 1/2 bottle of Dawn) throw in a 4' length of tow chain and/or a large handful of large bolts and nuts (Hint: count them before and after) seal over the openings and vigorously shake the thing as much as your arms can stand. (Hint #2: since you live out in the country, make it a "Tom Sawyer" project, buy a couple pizzas, ice down some tea or sodas, invite all the kids around you to come over a see who can get it to make the loudest noise when they shake it. ) Pour out the dirty soapy water, rinse and repeat until the rinse water comes out clean. Dump out the chain and bolts and rinse with a gallon or two of the hottest water you can make. Pour in a quart of denatured alcohol, slosh around thoroughly and empty, Set out in the sun to dry. Go to your nearest private airport or private section of a public airport that has a parts department or to a motorcycle shop that builds choppers and buy a quart of "gas tank sealer and slushing compound" (You can buy it from Eastwood but it will likely be cheaper to get it locally).
Follow the directions on the can for using it. Basically you pour it in swirl and tilt the tank until all the inside surface is coated then dump out the excess and let dry.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
AXracer, that sounds like a plan...I think I have all the ingredients minus the gas tank sealer...I'm sure my wife and two daughters wouldn't mind filling in for the cheap labor ;-) I'll have to post the results later. Jeff K

Old 09-06-2013, 02:41 PM
70BumpClubCab
Junior User
i'm with AX on this one. something else that is cheap and works for de-rusting where you cant touch or see, is distilled white vinegar. it destroys the molecular bond the rust has on the metal. a few gallons sloshed with something to break the scale up can work wonders. I am in the same situation on my 49 F3 tank. no fuel in it, but lots of brown funk and rust

Old 09-06-2013, 03:44 PM
fking1
Elder User
Originally Posted by tinman52
Do you have a good radiator shop in your area? they can do the best job of cleaning it out.
Agree, simplest and good results.
Did this with my 55's tank.
They cleaned and coated it for $50.
Must be sure to clean out the outlet pipe after.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
Thanks...I have many good suggestions...I know what I'm doing this weekend ;-)

Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
If I recall, the bonus built tanks have a couple of vertical baffles in them......so the nut and bolt/chain deal doesn't work too well. The vinegar trick might work if you leave it in for a while....

Quick Reply: Best way to clean out a gas tank??