Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 Ford F3 (O)

Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
Jeff K is starting off with a positive reputation.
1948 Ford F3 (O)

I guess this will sorta be a build thread...though hopefully I can enlist advice and assistance from some of the seasoned veterans on this forum. I've posted an introductory thread a few days ago so I'll focus more on what's going on now and what I hope to accomplish down the road.

Bottom line is that my immediate goal is to get my old girl going and just enjoy it for the time being...that having been said I still have to decide if I want to do any restoration, i.e., paint and body or just leave it with the nice patina she's acquired over the last 65 years...any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

To date I've been having a hard time getting her started...the engine is free and the oil seems clear so I'm assuming she will run once I figure out what's holding her back. At first the starter button wasn't working so I jumped it from the starter solenoid. I put gas in the tank and used starter fluid and gas in the carb with no luck. I pulled one of the plug wires and held it away from the plug and it is sparking...so I assume I'm getting fire to the plugs.

Today I figured out the starter button was bad and I was able to use the starter button wire to turn the engine over from the cab. After a few tries with no luck I started looking at the fuel system. I checked the fuel bulb on the fuel pump and was amazed at how nasty the gas was...looked like molasses. I tried draining the gas tank but the drain **** is stopped up...so I'm assuming the same gunk is in the tank and probably in the carb.

My project for tomorrow is to take the gas tank out and clean it good...and then blow air through the gas lines...replacing if necessary...anyway that's where I'm at for the moment...I've attached a pic that shows the gas that was in the fuel bulb. Jeff K

Attached Images   
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 PM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
Do a compression test. That will tell you a lot about the health of the engine. You need to have enough compression, say better than 70 p.s.i in most cylinders (this is low for a running flathead, but not unheard of after an engine has sat for a long time). If the compression looks promising, rebuild the carbuetor, make sure your fuel pump is pumping, and clean the points. Run a flex line from an external gas can to you fuel pump. Verify ignition timing by the static timing method, then try to start the engine with some starting fluid.

Neet looking truck. Where are you located? One of us might be close enough to drop by and take a look.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Cool looking truck. Man that is some nasty looking gas. Fresh gas should make a big difference.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
NE Kansas...good tips...I'm slowly working my way through the systems. Yeah I've never seen gas that nasty...I can only imagine how nasty the tank is.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Nice truck! Keep us posted on what you find with the fuel system cleaned out.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
1948 F3 update (Floor pan...paint or POR 15??)

I worked on my F3 some over the weekend...the main thing was cleaning all the gunk out of the tank...thanks to everyone who posted suggestions in my other thread on this issue. The tank was in better shape than I expected once I boiled all the gunk out...no crusty rust deposits. I also removed the seat and scrubbed down the floor pan good...which brings me to my next question...should I paint the floor or apply POR 15. My intent is to just stabilize/protect what's there and eventually cover it with a poly-vinly floor mat...I've attached some pics...any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Images     
Old 09-10-2013, 05:19 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Jeff

I would suggest that you POR15 the floor - after using the recommended pre-paint prep. You'll have good results and stabilize the floor condition.

DW

Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 AM
big job
Posting Guru
big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.
The Big Job says wow; thats fire truck quality.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Ste14mi
Freshman User
Ste14mi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice truck Jeff! I guess we F-3 owners will have to stick together.

I have used POR15 in previous restores - and I believe strongly in it, although as usual not everyone does. Follow the prep instructions and you'll never have to worry about rust coming back. Be aware that there are specific instructions for how to paint a top coat over it if you don't want to stay with it's colour.

Just don't get it on your skin - you will have to wait for new skin to grow to get it off - and that's not a exaggeration!

Good luck getting the engine fired up.

Steve

Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That cab looks very solid Jeff. I was lucky to get one of those too.

I agree us F3 owners need to stick together! I'll be closely watching both of your builds.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
Thanks everyone...I'm pleased to have found such a solid F3...there are a few spots along the bed that need attention but all things considered it is pretty nice...now if I could just get it started...tried yesterday after installing a new fuel pump but ran out of light when I got home from work...and of all things the fuel pump leaks like a sieve. Truck fires when I put gas in the carb...but it won't keep running...gonna tinker some more tonight.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
ojh
Senior User
ojh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thats a great truck to fix up and enjoy. I'm working on F3, it is so cool to start - it has like an 'on' button. You push the button and the motor runs, ain't no cankin or spinnin the starter. It just runs.
Spent time doing the carb and go thru the ignition, those distr were goofy to begin with and they ain't improved in the last 60 or 70 years. Those carbs are easy to rebuild.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
I just rebuilt the old fuel pump tonight...ran out of light to install it though...this will be my project for tomorrow. I think rebuilding the carb is next...mine will start when I put gas in the carb but dies when it runs dry.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
Still trying to get it started

Just a quick update: I installed a new fuel pump last weekend but it leaked really bad...bought a rebuild kit and put together a new pump from the pieces of the two I had and installed the new diaphram, etc...it pumps but I haven't installed it to see if it seals properly. I took the carburetor off this week and was amazed at how gummed up it was...guess 30 years of gas setting in it takes its toll. I found a really good video from Mike's Carburetor Parts that I'm using to rebuild the carb...I have it apart now and cleaned it in chem bath and will use the video beginning tonight to reassemble it Holey 94, 2100, 2110 I'll take some pictures of the carb disassembled and will post them later...hopefully I'll have it all back together this weekend and will get it going finally.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like you're getting close! How about a video of that moment when the old flattie wakes up so we can share in your excitement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1948 Ford F3 (O)

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.