6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

All Injectors Blow Out at the Same Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM
vgrrl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Injectors Blow Out at the Same Time

I don't know if anyone can help with this but we are at our wit's end and have been financially devastated by our 2003 F250 6.0. We had our truck completely checked over by a diesel shop, and we spent $4,000 in repairs on our 6.0 in June having a new high pressure oil injection pump put in, 1 new injector, new oil cooler, new EGR cooler, FCIM and a few other odds and ends. We had this done before leaving Michigan to spend 6 months on the road for my husband's job while pulling our 5th wheel. We were on the road for 6 hours, got to the middle of Pennsylvania, and every injector blows out of the engine all at once. One head is cracked, all injectors are burned, brand new oil pressure pump is destroyed, oil is pouring out of the turbo. The mechanic we were towed to says we got bad fuel that caused catastrophic failure and he proceeds to rebuild our engine. 2 injectors were so badly destroyed that they could not be rebuilt. Now, 3 months later having spent another $8,000, we had the fuel tested by a lab and the lab says the fuel is fine. Does anyone know what would cause such a catastrophic failure like this?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Will Bite
Elder User
Sounds like first shop was just tossing parts at the truck.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM
vgrrl
Senior User
At this point, *I* want to toss parts at the truck but in a somewhat different fashion...We STILL don't have the truck back from the shop. Its been down 3 months now and we've spent $12K, more than the truck is worth. Neither the mechanic nor the Ford dealership he's been consulting can figure out why the engine blew up. The concern is, we haven't replaced whatever made the engine blow up and it happens all over again after another 5 hours on the road. Would a bad FCIM build up too much pressure and burn all the injectors out killing the brand new oil pressure pump and turbo as well?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I don't Buy All that Stuff went Bad Again from Bad Fuel

I KNOW the First Shop Screwed Ya I would have been Surprised to see an 03 EGR Cooleer Die BPD modeled there Bullet Proof design around it

I don't Buy that Many Different Systems Failed all at Once on the First Go around

This second time Sounds Like the IPR May Have FAILED From the FIRST SHOP Did NOT do a Clean Job on the Oil Cooler

You need Gauges ASAP

And What Oil Pump keeps Blowing out??? Low or High Pressure oil pump

Where did you get your FICM

Im sorrey you had to pay that Much

This Pisses me Off right Here I think Both Shops Have Played this out I mean your One Very Very Few That Has repeated blow ups of ALl Kinds of Separate Systems and Lots of Parts

Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I hate hearing these kind of stories and I find it hard to believe that all that would happen at once even from bad fuel.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM
vgrrl
Senior User
It was reported to me that the diesel "was fine" but now that I have the test results in front of me, it states that the fuel is very dirty. the >4 limit is 10,000 and this fuel is 26,172. Even with dirty fuel I don't understand how all these parts can go bad at one time. We had the engine completely gone over in Michigan and had all weak parts fixed, 5 hours later all injectors are blown, all cups destroyed, 1 cracked head, brand new hi pressure oil pump is destroyed, turbo pouring out oil, fuel pump destroyed, and no one can figure out why.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hopefully Cheezit can weigh in on this but it seems to me if you can prove you got bad fuel that resulted in engine damage your auto insurance may cover the damage.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:41 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vgrrl
It was reported to me that the diesel "was fine" but now that I have the test results in front of me, it states that the fuel is very dirty. the >4 limit is 10,000 and this fuel is 26,172. Even with dirty fuel I don't understand how all these parts can go bad at one time. We had the engine completely gone over in Michigan and had all weak parts fixed, 5 hours later all injectors are blown, all cups destroyed, 1 cracked head, brand new hi pressure oil pump is destroyed, turbo pouring out oil, fuel pump destroyed, and no one can figure out why.
I can see the fuel causing damage to the injectors and possibly the fuel pump but not to the HPO or LPO system or the injector cups. Worst case scenario you lose LPO and the engine dies due to lack of oil supply to the HPOP.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM
vgrrl
Senior User
Yes the insurance company has put $7,000 into the repairs but they are now considering asking that money back from us because they are questioning that simply dirty fuel has cause this much damage. We drove about 40 miles after filling up at that gas station. The engine was losing power within 1 block after leaving the station but we figured it was just a little water in the fuel and it would clear. At first it would only go 60 mph, then only 50, then 40, til it finally quit. My engineer friend is saying that if particles clogged up the injectors sticking them open, then too much fuel flows into the cylinders causing all that pressure to push the injectors out. The mechanic says "back pressure" destroyed the HPOP but Ford did replace that for free as we had just replaced it. For anyone who reads this post, I would avoid the Sunoco station in Snow Shoe, PA. I have fuel sample test results that I am more than happy to forward to anyone who might want to see them.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Were all of the filters OEM. If not then there's a possibilty that the lower filter was indeed letting water into the system.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:14 PM
vgrrl
Senior User
yes, all filters were OEM and had just been replaced

Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
have they been trying to put new injector cups in vs replace heads??

Old 09-05-2013, 08:55 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Subscribing to thread, because this doesn't sound right.

The fuel filter system is designed to stop this kind of catastrophic failure .... Unless something got by the filters somehow. Did the water in fuel light come on?

I thought injectors sticking open would only burn the pistons up.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Subcribing to this thread. Doesn't make since.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
A lot of it doesn't sound right -- but maybe someone is trying to make cents of it...

you ever get those emails from someone you don't know that just got robbed in some foreign country and all they have left is their passport and they need to pay the hotel bill and catch that flight home....?

Quick Reply: All Injectors Blow Out at the Same Time