1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 F-100 upper cab mount cups

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:58 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
53 F-100 upper cab mount cups

I bought an upper cab mount cup set from LMC. I do not know how these are supposed to be installed. Are they meant to be welded in therir entirety to the floor and to the side of the roicker panels? If so, there is a 1/8" or so space between the floor metal and the cab mount metal. Are they supoosed to be cut into the floor? My floor is solid. It does lack the cab mount cups. Any guidnace will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Before this post starts to settle down to the bottom of the post pile and go unanswered, I thought I'd add some stuff I found. I found this link to an earlier discussion on this site regarding these mounts.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-mounts-2.html
There's a photo of an installed upper cab mount:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...6&d=1360254238
Mid fifty says in their catalog that when these cab mounts collapse and fail, the fenders won't align properly anymore. I cannot find any evidence on my truck that there was ever anything like this welded to the bottom of the floor panels. And putting a space between the plate and the floor panel seems like a crazy design. Was it meant to bend and absorb some shock? Why not have metal to metal contact? It seems like the rubber bushings on the rest of the cab mount would absorb impacts.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:03 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
The photo you posted is of the lower cab mount cup, is that the one you are asking about because in your text you say the upper cup, so which is it you are asking about?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 858 Likes on 457 Posts
Looks like the "cup" is tack welded to a reinforcing plate, welded to the bottom of the floor. It sits on top of the top rubber bushing (00134). I assume it keeps the top bushing from spreading/flattening out, and keeps the cab from moving laterally against the bolt and bushing.

See the picture below:

Attached Images  

Last edited by EffieTrucker; 09-04-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Corrected wrong information
Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Effie,
I have two cabs I just went out and looked at and that is exactly how mine are mounted and that cup is spot welded in three places to the reinforcement plate which is also welded to the bottom of the cab sheet metal.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
The cup is welded to the bottom of the cab (underside) and the bolt goes through the "L" bracket that is welded to the front door post (inside), through the cab sheet metal, cup, bushing, through the cab frame wing, through another piece of rubber, washer and gets tightened together.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
So, I see that the "upper cab mount cups" that I bought are spot welded to a "reinforcement plate". And that reinforcement plate is unnecessary if my floor sheet metal is sound. My floor's not in bad shape, and there is no evidence that the cups in my truck were ever welded to anything; they just acted like big cup washers for the rubber mount below it. But, regarding the plate, which when installed would have a space between the floor steel and cup, the Mid Fifty catalog, says:

This piece is often collapsed causing cab to lean. Note the plate shown
goes beneath the floor with a little space between. If plate has rusted and
collapsed the cab will be about a quarter inch off. If fenders and hood are
not lining up this area is often the problem. Replace this , tack weld to floor
and rocker, install new rubber and watch fenders and hood line up! that

I have to make a decision in the next day or so about whether or not to use the plate.

Also, I used to be a supporting member years ago. Now that I'm back working on my truck again and depending on the forum for information, I should re-up.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
All cabs (53-56) should have that reinforcing plate regardless of how sound the metal is in your floor. I have not seen a cab that did not have it unless it was taken off by a previous owner for some unknown crazy reason.

Here is the part shown welded together in the mid -50 catalog http://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=2760

Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 858 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Effie,
I have two cabs I just went out and looked at and that is exactly how mine are mounted and that cup is spot welded in three places to the reinforcement plate which is also welded to the bottom of the cab sheet metal.
I see what you're saying, and it makes perfect sense. The cup welded to the bottom of the cab (via the reinforcing plate) would keep the cab from moving laterally, causing shear force on the cab mount bolt. I doubt the bolt would fail, but it would most likely egg-shape the bolt hole, causing the cab to be slightly misaligned.

I replaced my floor pans and cab corners back around 1992. The cups were off, but my guess is they were rusted off. The corners of my cab were pretty rusty. I had a donor cab (for the roof and dash section) that was so rusted it was collapsed onto the frame. I looked at some old pictures, but the lighting was bad and I can't see the underside of the corners very well.

Thanks for the good information. My cab is going to paint in the next few days, and I was going to install it wrong.

I've corrected my earlier response, so if anyone comes across it they won't get the bad information.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
I guess that I must be really thick, but I am still not convinced that factory produced these with a reinforcing plate. I am convinced that the cup was spot welded to the underside of the floor. If I go ahead and weld the reinforcing plate to the floor and rocker panel, I end up with a 1/8" space between the reinforcing plate and the underside of the floor. And, this occurs at a space where the front tires will throw water and mud. What's the best way to keep this becoming a major rust problem years from now? Also, the cross section of the cab mount posted by EffieTrucker does not show a reinforcing plate; the cup is welded right to the floor steel. The cross section does not show a gap between the plate and the floor steel. Mid Fifties says that the space between the plate and the floor can possibly fix fender alignment problems. I worry that I may be actually creating a new alignment problem that I never had before by lifting the front of the cab up.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:10 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
It is possible that the 53 cabs did not have the plates and they were added in the later years to fix a sagging cab issue. I know two of my cabs were 55 and one was a 54, another may be a 53 and I have noticed slight differences in body stamping so there is definitely a difference. On the cab that I suspect is a 53 I can't tell if they were taken off or never there but I am putting a set on there because that is the cab I have been working on for my 55.

As far as rust, you know the gap is there so use a good weld through primer and seal it with seam sealer to keep the crap out. It will outlast all of us.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Jvmcc are you using new rubber biscuits? I can't figure out how you would have a space if you are, that's what the cab sits on. Something would have to be holding the cab up off the mounts. I think the space MF is talking about is the space created by the rubber biscuits between the cup and the frame mount. If the rubber has deteriorated the cab will settle until the cups sit on the frame, causing the fender misalignment.
I think the reinforcing plate is the first layer of metal just above the cup in effietrucker's diagram. If you didn't want to spot weld the reinforcing plate I guess you could drill thru it and the floor and put in a couple bolts or screws.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by AXracer
Jvmcc are you using new rubber biscuits? I can't figure out how you would have a space if you are, that's what the cab sits on. Something would have to be holding the cab up off the mounts.
I have all complete and new rubber for the cab mounts. To quote from the Mid Fifties catalog, "the plate shown goes beneath the floor with a little space between." I personally think it's a stupid design. Is that space supposed to provide some flex and cushion the ride? I called Dennis Carpenter about these plate/cup cab mount assemblies and was told that the weight of the cab will cause the plate to bend and come in contact the floor pan. And that's the way it's supposed to work. Mid Fifties writes that, "This piece is often collapsed causing the cab to lean." So, I'm hearing one parts vendor saying that the space is intended by design to be there, but it often collapses. And another telling me not to worry about the space because it will collapse just by the weight of the cab, anyway. Why not just have something solid (another rubber biscuit) between the floor and the cup? At any rate, Dennis Carpenter says that this part was part of the original stock design. I have a dim recollection of some sort of expensive urethane spacer that was offered, but I can't find it now in any of my catalogs. This will be my last post on the subject. I'm going to weld those *##**#* things in tomorrow. But, I still can't say exactly why I'm doing it, except that I'm trying to be faithful to the stock design.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Hope metal burning is going good. All the ones I have seen still have the gap unless they are nothing but rust. I have seen the frames roll and the frame ears flex but that bracket has always held its shape when welded in. You will be fine.

Quick Reply: 53 F-100 upper cab mount cups