DUI SOS coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 PM
recovery7778
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DUI SOS coil packs

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/du...v-10/overview/

has anyone changed there coils to these SOS packs, and if so are you happy with them and did you regap your plugs from I think 0.54 to 0.65?

long story short, my 00 Ex, v10 145k started running rough, misfires etc, changed inline fuel filter, (was black crap in it ) still ran like crap, dropped gas tank, a little dirt nothing major,changed the sock in it, changed the inline filter again, still ran like crap So to the fuel rail off to check the injectors too them off and made sure nothing was in them they were a little dirty clean them up, out everything back together, still ran like crap, then took the cat off think maybe ot was clogged or something, still ran like crap, I have the gibson headers on, without the cat can really tell something is wrong.

so tomorrow going to check the COP packs I would imagine one or 2 is bad....at lease I hope.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Never tried them, never heard of anyone trying them. Honestly the info of reliability of aftermarket "performance" COPs have not been so great.

If I were you I would buy 2 OE Motorcraft COPs from Rock Auto and play musical coils swapping them around to see if your issue is resolved. A stock or even mildly modded V10 don't need a high output coil. The OE work more than fine.

If you plugs have more than 40k miles on them I would pick up 10 Motorcraft SP479 spark plugs and change them while you are there. It is my experience once you get past 50k miles you are on borrowed time and efficiency can drop off with the plugs.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:06 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
Never tried them, never heard of anyone trying them. Honestly the info of reliability of aftermarket "performance" COPs have not been so great.

If I were you I would buy 2 OE Motorcraft COPs from Rock Auto and play musical coils swapping them around to see if your issue is resolved. A stock or even mildly modded V10 don't need a high output coil. The OE work more than fine.

If you plugs have more than 40k miles on them I would pick up 10 Motorcraft SP479 spark plugs and change them while you are there. It is my experience once you get past 50k miles you are on borrowed time and efficiency can drop off with the plugs.
Yep, yep and triple yep on all this above!

I too swallowed the Kool-Aid and went with Grantelli COP's with the desire to see a massive increase in everything fuel/spark related----only to be highly disappointed with it all. Not a noticeable difference in MPG's or performance but a quick failure of one COP within a few months of installation.

The next winter began having misfires and CEL's which have been tracked down once again to failing aftermarket COP's.

While there's not guarantee the OEM or Motorcraft brand never fails the incident of them doing so is far, far less than any aftermarket brand. Take it from those of us who've been there, done that and save that money.

Repeating that plugs in our motors aren't much good after 50K miles, don't believe even for a moment that's NOT true!

Old 08-31-2013, 12:27 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
There was once a TSB issued by Ford telling dealer techs that they had to stop replacing COPs everytime they found a misfire. Ford was taking them back and testing them, and there was something like more than 1/2 or 3/4s of them that were fine.

What happened was that during the first few years of COPs being used, when someone had a problem with a misfire, the dealer would replace the COP and the boot, and the plug, and it would be gone. This led to the idea that the COPs were failing.

Roll that a few years forward through Internet forums, and the idea that COPs fail at a high rate has permeated society.

So whenever someone has a misfire, they go replace the COP because everyone says so.

Turns out, the COPs themselves aren't the problem. It's the boots or the spring. Or maybe even just a loose connection at the harness.

Now, add to this that the aftermarket always markets their stuff as "better than OEM" - so given the mistaken idea that OEM COPs suck, people replace them ALL with aftermarket. Meanwhile, the aftermarket stuff isn't that great to begin with.

I've only got 60K miles on my original COPs, they are almost 13 years old now (truck manufactured in Oct 2000), and no issues that weren't cause by water down the plug hole, dirt, crud, rust on the spring, you name it. And they've been through hell with high outside temps (85-90+), idling for hours, pulling trees in the woods (high load, low speed), and headers, raising the underhood temps way up there. Go figure.

While there are cases where the OEM COP cracked and let water in, or just died completely, most of them are replaced "just because".

If you do have a bad one, replace JUST THAT ONE with a good OEM version. Stay away from aftermarket.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:55 PM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
I have to agree with Krewat on this, mine started missing at109K so I replaced all the boots and it soved the problem. You can replace all the boots for about the cost of one coil.

Denny

Old 09-01-2013, 06:57 PM
recovery7778
Freshman User
ok thanks for the advice Ill stay away from the aftermarket ones, that is for sure, anyways I took all the COP's out put them on a Muti tester, and test from B+ to the other terminal they read anywhere from 0.6 to 0.8 and from B+ to the spring 5.8 to 6.1....I had one COP that would not read from terminal to terminal kept saying 50v 65v or OL. That one had lots of small cracks in the top of it, ......so replaced with a stock accel COP...(was cheaper to buy 2 accel for the price of one motorcraft one till this thursday. when I can get all 10,

anyways there was 6 motorcrafts n there all of them have cracks in the tops of them some of the cracks you could stick your thumb nail in, so I would assume that is bad, and the other 4 had no name on them so no idea who makes them or where they come from,

all the boots were good, not dry or cracked,

oh so replaced 2 of the COP,s and changed the plugs.

the plugs that were n it were motorcraft AGSF22WM so am sure these have been replaced I had a set of Bosch plus 2 from my other v10 that I put in there.

anyways truck ran 70 percent better it still has a misfire and still has a stutter around 35 to 45 like its not getting gas. but a lot better, I would assume the coil or coils that are bad checked good while not under load, and while under load they are bad.....

Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 PM
dkf
Hotshot
The AGSF22WM is the same as the SP479. If it were me I would not install any Bosch plugs. The Motorcraft and Autolite Platinums work very well. The Autolite XP103 Iridium plugs also work well. I put the Iridiums in my dads V10 last plug change and they have been doing good. I will put them in mine next plug change. Cracked coils is an indicator that it is time to change them. Even if they still work with the cracks they are on borrowed time. Make sure you are getting a good connection where the wiring harness plugs into the COP. There are replacement pigtails available if you have a bad or broken connector.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
You're sorta working against yourself here but kudos for digging in and learning about these motors!

Have you yet run a scanner test for your misfire situation?

While the DC resistance test is something listed in repair manuals its not that reliable a test for COP's. A high-end computer analyzer can give detailed reports on the COP's actual performance with engine running for the most part if a decent scanner doesn't show a pending or triggered code you're pretty much good to go with them as installed.

Naturally the small cracks and such found under visual inspection are candidates for replacement---moisture etc can short them out PDQ. Odd that the cases cracked, especially so many at the same time.

DKF's idea about the connectors is spot on too---NAPA sells such a replacement part number EC259 that fits all year modular motors.

Motorcraft and/or Autolite plugs are your best bet because its just too well documented here different brands just don't perform as well.

You are making progress on all this, keep it up and soon enough you'll be running smooth once again!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
When I replaced my boots they didn't looked cracked or dry but they were still bad, remember you are dealing with high voltage so it doesn't take much for them to leak and cause a misfire.

Denny

Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 AM
recovery7778
Freshman User
Guys thanks for the advice and everything else, have a order sent in t for all new COP's, should get them wednesday, and will have the trucked scanned tuesday....

this is my 2nd v10 but my first 2v never had trouble with my 04 f250

and its a learning exp all right just glad im some what small and can fit in the engine bay

Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 PM
dkf
Hotshot
If you had an 04' F-250 with the V10 that was a 2V also. The F-250 and 350 got the 3V and 5R110 in 2005.