Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 1996 Bronco Starter Questions

Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 PM
robjs111
Posting Guru
robjs111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford 1996 Bronco Starter Questions

having issues deciphering what is the battery terminal connection on starter pictured below.
Thanks.
1996 bronco
351w

Edit

Starter does not have a mounted solenoid , have to use a firewall mounted version.......................

Old 08-30-2013, 04:46 PM
robjs111
Posting Guru
Possible to install a firewall mounted solenoid and if so how?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by robjs111 View Post
having issues deciphering what is the battery terminal connection on starter pictured below.
Hmm If I'm not mistaken this should be it right??
]

I mean to me that looks like it's it, and maybe you use one of the other 2 for a ground? Jeeze it's been a while since I did mine, I forget how it's wired up

Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Torky2
Posting Guru
Torky2 has a great reputation on FTE.Torky2 has a great reputation on FTE.Torky2 has a great reputation on FTE.Torky2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Oh-boy! Isn't somebody from 1970 going to want their starter back?

That looks like an old Positive-Engagement starter from yesteryear, as found on small-block Fords. 460's got a Solenoid-Actuated starter instead, as did your Bronco of the 90's.

Is this for some non-Bronco project? OK if it is, but tell us first

There is only one electrical connection to a P-E starter. Some had it on the end-cap as the one in your pic, most had it on a post that stuck out through the side of the starter.

Then need a starter relay that was made to take the current of the starter.

EDIT - Didn't the 351 Cleveland take a starter like that? Will it even properly mount and engage on a trans behind a Windsor? I sure don't know.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Torky2 View Post
Oh-boy! Isn't somebody from 1970 going to want their starter back?

That looks like an old Positive-Engagement starter from yesteryear, as found on small-block Fords. 460's got a Solenoid-Actuated starter instead, as did your Bronco of the 90's.

Is this for some non-Bronco project? OK if it is, but tell us first

There is only one electrical connection to a P-E starter. Some had it on the end-cap as the one in your pic, most had it on a post that stuck out through the side of the starter.

Then need a starter relay that was made to take the current of the starter.

EDIT - Didn't the 351 Cleveland take a starter like that? Will it even properly mount and engage on a trans behind a Windsor? I sure don't know.
351Mutant does, the C and W probably did as well. I was a bit confused but I've never seen a starter besides my own stuff.

Google gave me this as a 96 starter.... Yikes!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader
Nighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputation
I have a 93, and have two solenoids, one on the passenger side fender, and another on the starter itself. Interesting that a 96 would only have one.

Jim

Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 AM
robjs111
Posting Guru
Let me clarify my original statement.

The aformentioned starter is an aftermarket piece that came with a ford crate motor that I purcased for my 96 bronco. Also have since learned that my 96 bronco has 2 solenoids one on the starter as well as one located on fenderwell next to battery. The starter in question does not have a mounted solenoid so can I use starter on bronco or do I have to add another solenoid?? Or would it be easier just to buy a stock oem replacement starter?
Thanks.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader
Nighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputation
I would buy a oem replacement starter, but that is just me.

Jim