1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 F100 Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
1LIFE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few calls.
After couple calls to NoLimit the girl answering let me say needs a day off with class in Customer Relations 101.

Today called Fatman's. Never got his name & I know I've spoken with him couple years back about this build. What a great guy! Huge info under his belt. After brief bucket list conversation only change would be to investigate rear bags. Why? Bags will drop further for less without rear suspension loss. Am I sold on this? Not yet but will be digging to find out more.

Another member mentioned having new chassis. Quickly denied it but after seeing FatMan's chassis build quality & strength benefit the price may come close with time, parts & labor to just ordering complete chassis. The price will be the answer.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 PM
1LIFE
Junior User
Found another option by another member -Chevy C4 IFS & IRS.

Many are trying to steer me away from ShockWaves around but still something to investigate. Who do we have out here with '56 F100 w/C4 IFS & IRS w/out ShockWaves & FlatOut Eng?

Again thank you for any feed back & if there is non I will not bore forum further.

-Cheers

Old 09-06-2013, 06:21 PM
rzns60
Senior User
1Life, sorry for delay in responding. There are at least 3 people on the forum who installed the No Limit IFS. The customer service at No Limit was hit and miss and Rob should really focus on the front of his house and less on being the autocross champion. That said I think the engineering is excellent, Rob will stand behind his products, and the cost is similar to others. I believe the IFS design is better than the others on the market. However that could have changed with the Roadster shops recent release. I have not gotten around to a build thread, but some of the pics are in my Album.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 PM
HEAVY100
Senior User
I recently bought a complete No Limit ifs and irs , Rob is a nice guy but Tina (his wife ) who answers the phone was very rude and hung up the phone on me twice in a row because I asked to speak to Rob . she said that she felt insulted , in my opinion if im spending over $4k I have the right to speak to who ever I want to speak . anyways my suspension is getting done as we speak , I will chime in once their is progress .

Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 PM
1LIFE
Junior User
Originally Posted by HEAVY100
I recently bought a complete No Limit ifs and irs , Rob is a nice guy but Tina (his wife ) who answers the phone was very rude and hung up the phone on me twice in a row because I asked to speak to Rob . she said that she felt insulted , in my opinion if im spending over $4k I have the right to speak to who ever I want to speak . anyways my suspension is getting done as we speak , I will chime in once their is progress .
^
Ha! Good to hear wasn't just me & yes updates are great from you & rzns.
That Coyote is another whole new investigation.. .

Old 09-06-2013, 07:36 PM
HEAVY100
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1LIFE
^
Ha! Good to hear wasn't just me & yes updates are great from you & rzns.
That Coyote is another whole new investigation.. .
yes the suspension and the coyote are getting installed as we speak , i hope its a smooth install

Old 09-08-2013, 06:12 AM
1LIFE
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1LIFE
Found another option by another member -Chevy C4 IFS & IRS.

Many are trying to steer me away from ShockWaves around but still something to investigate. Who do we have out here with '56 F100 w/C4 IFS & IRS w/out ShockWaves & FlatOut Eng?

Again thank you for any feed back & if there is non I will not bore forum further.

-Cheers
^
Bump .. .

Old 11-23-2013, 06:29 AM
1LIFE
Junior User
Update
Parts now piling & build should be starting soon.

Suspension first to show.
C4 w/Dana 44

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56173600@N06/10162699704/
Mount kit (front)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56173600@N06/10965418714/
Mount kit (rear)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56173600@N06/10965488813/
After long debate looking at my future plans retiring at some point.. .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56173600@N06/10763183303/
Enjoy

Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 AM
1LIFE
Junior User
Next up is updating the brakes.
Getting ready to pull the trigger on new setup from Z06 & been looking for used set for front/rear with no luck. Any leads out here finding used or opinions going this route?

If Purchasing new this is the best I've found.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56173600@N06/11008259294/
Thank you!
-B

Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I can't answer any questions or provide info about the upgrade you're doing, but I appreciate you sharing this thread and look forward to seeing it move along! While pricey, it looks like you're going to have a real quality ride when you're done that you can be happy with for a long time.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:51 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There are very few on here that can afford to/are willing to put that kind of money into a truck suspension. All said and done you end up with a truck that can "lay frame" (of no value than to prove how much money the owner has) and handles about as well as an average new truck. Rob calling himself an autocross champ running the wimpy wide open Good Guys courses is like someone winning an indoor go kart race calling himself a road race champion. I'd love to see him bring his $1/4 million truck to an actual SCCA national autocross event where he'd get smoked by $5000.00 stock class 1970's Honda Civics.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:36 PM
1LIFE
Junior User
Originally Posted by Schuyles
Sorry I can't answer any questions or provide info about the upgrade you're doing, but I appreciate you sharing this thread and look forward to seeing it move along! While pricey, it looks like you're going to have a real quality ride when you're done that you can be happy with for a long time.
^Many thanx Schuyles & others. Have no plans getting rid of this but myself also appreciating 'til the end. I know I've not been involving myself in other threads in this forum so not sure if feed back of my own build would happen. Almost hung up my coat on this thread so again thanx!

Originally Posted by AXracer
There are very few on here that can afford to/are willing to put that kind of money into a truck suspension. All said and done you end up with a truck that can "lay frame" (of no value than to prove how much money the owner has) and handles about as well as an average new truck. Rob calling himself an autocross champ running the wimpy wide open Good Guys courses is like someone winning an indoor go kart race calling himself a road race champion. I'd love to see him bring his $1/4 million truck to an actual SCCA national autocross event where he'd get smoked by $5000.00 stock class 1970's Honda Civics.
^
AX unsure what the meaning of your post is but I do see you are a "post fiend" so my guess is there is more to it.
Definitely not here to prove I'm better than the next person but to keep learning, hopefully help others & keep having a blast. Now the second part my guess is you ("AX"racer) making fun of yourself but then again

Cheers to all & enjoy the upcoming feast.

-B

Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 PM
ztartops
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is amazing to me what can be done with these trucks for very little if you are cleaver. I have been running the orignal I beam leaf spring set up and I find the ride to be relatively pleasent. My springs are wore out. However with good bushings, snubbers etc It works well. The cool thing is the nearly flat springs give the perfect hot rod ride height and stance. My plan with the 56 is either the JAG ifs which is a reasonable swap or the popular late model Crown Vic which can be had for peanuts. I installed a Fat Man on my Father's lincoln and I would never do that again. Poor design, dangerous brake problem-lousy customer service.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:27 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Somebody having a bad day???

Old 11-24-2013, 08:07 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
So can someone please explain in simple terms that an old guy can understand what "lay frame" means.

Quick Reply: '56 F100 Suspension Upgrade