1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First Post, Restoring 1950 Ford F2...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 AM
lchavez
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
On your F-2, you want to find the optional 3-speed heavy duty transmission. The third gear ratio for the F-1 and F-2 for both the three-speed F-1 trans., and the three-speed F-2 HD trans is the same: 1:1.

The 3-spd. HD is a drop in fit too. Nothing at all to change from the 4-spd non-synchro.

As far as the rear end, I would try to find some higher gears, that way you can leave everything as original, and still improve drivability.
I will keep my eyes open to see if I find one, or if you know about anyone who has one let me know...as far as the rear end goes, if I find a 3.54 or even a 3.73 dana 60 I would go for them, but I wouldnt like to have the 4.10, which is what I have been finding in this area...

Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 AM
lchavez
New User
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome Luis!

I'm afraid unless you can find a HD 3-sp with the same rear mount setup as your 4-sp, nothing will be a bolt-in. Even the HD 3-sp came with both a deep mount (like yours) and a short mount (like the light duty 3-sp). All that's different is the rear bearing retainer. On the other hand, if you eventually decide to go with a different trans like a 5-sp, the crossmember you have will make it easier to accommodate.

Does your truck have a lever next to the trans shifter for e-brakes? With a drum on the driveshaft?

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That tailgate looks like it's new!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM
lchavez
New User
Thank you!

Originally Posted by ben73058
Bienvenido Luis!

Good to see another San Antonio member join up. Your pics posted fine in your gallery. Hmmm.. You are going to have some fun. I also visited John's Salvage out there in Seguin - nice place but no real bargains.

There are a couple of other members on here from San Antonio. I'll shoot them to you. I found posting pics to be much easier if you become a member on here. Members get a little paperclip icon - just click on that & you can post directly from your harddrive - very easy.

Good luck over there. Start up a build thread so we can follow along.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)
Gracias Ben!

I would definitely consider becoming a member...and it would be great to get to know more people in the area with the same interests and goals...

Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM
lchavez
New User
Tailgate

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
That tailgate looks like it's new!
It's in pretty good shape, it has some rust in the lower center, and a few bangs here and there, but fixable...it was welded shut from the lower hinges (courtesy of the previous owner), I had to grind them off to remove it...

There is this guy on ebay that sells tailgates for the F2's, he is also from Texas...he had a posting for the F1 tailgate and I asked him if he carried the one for the F2's and he told me that they were 4 inches wider and he also reproduced them...so if anyone needs one, let me know and I will look up his information...

Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Please post his info. F2 and F3 tailgates in good shape are a hot commodity.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Luis,
That rear bumper you have looks great, and it looks pretty straight too.
And you have a heater! What was one of those needed for in TX? I need one of those for our cool August nights in Maine. If it gets in your way send it up here.

I have not heard of anyone reproducing a F2 tailgate, so that is great if you can find his contact information. It might come in handy if I ever damage mine or know someone who needs one.

If your truck has a parking brake drum on the transmission, be advised that the brake drum and lining are very hard to find, it took me three years of casual searching to find a new one.
Regular wheel brake parts are not hard to find, if you choose to replace yours with stock-type parts.
Tom

Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lchavez
Thank you dmack91! According to Speedway, the spindles on the F1 and the F2 are the same, so we shouldnt have any problems with that...have you driven your truck with the 9" rear end? if so, how does it handle? and what i a comfortable highway speed? Thanks!
Hello Luis.....and welcome to the forum (along with dferrel!!)

I put a 9" with 3.25 gears in my F2....which I have converted to an F1. It came out of a 65 F100. It is just right. I will say that I'm running a 351w with a C6 auto-transmission.

Are you keeping the flathead V8?

Dan

Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Please post his info. F2 and F3 tailgates in good shape are a hot commodity.

So are the running boards. Take good care of the ones you have, yours are well worth repairing.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman

I chavez,
You might send me your e-mail as I am completing a 52 F1 and might have a lot of front end trim lights, rings, glove box lid, and other junk I am not using.
I'm on the East side just inside 1604.
Bill
tractorman@billstractor.com

Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Originally Posted by lchavez
Thank you dmack91! According to Speedway, the spindles on the F1 and the F2 are the same, so we shouldnt have any problems with that...have you driven your truck with the 9" rear end? if so, how does it handle? and what i a comfortable highway speed? Thanks!
Sorry, can't tell you how it does at highway speeds yet. Just drove it for the first time in 1 1/2 years of owning it and probably hit a high speed of 25-30 mph. Still a long ways to go, but the journey is worth it.

According to a speed calculator, with my 255/60/15 tires, I should be spinning around 2220 rpm at 55mph.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pineconeford

If your truck has a parking brake drum on the transmission, be advised that the brake drum and lining are very hard to find, it took me three years of casual searching to find a new one.
Really??? I just scrapped one on a 52 F2 about a month ago and now have another one on a 52 F3. I pulled the lever and brake lining/band, but not the drum itself. Maybe I'll do that today.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:45 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I have seen there are more and more of the F2 and bigger trucks
being pulled out of the back 40 and getting worked over.

It may be a good time to start hording parts we just threw away before.

Quick Reply: First Post, Restoring 1950 Ford F2...