5TH wheel hitches----Reese VS B+W

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
5TH wheel hitches----Reese VS B+W

Looking to updgrade from my current "redneck" toyhauler to a real toyhauler in the near future. I have the factory prep package installed in my truck. While I've done plenty of towing with a gooseneck, I'm totally new to 5th wheels.

I did a search but didn't come up with much feedback on the B+W hitch for the factory prep package. Anybody using one? Any benefit of the two jaws, VS the single jaw on the Reese? The single seems to have less margin for failure. I'm up in the air on which way to go, I can get either one within $50 of the other. As far as adjustability goes, is more better? I was thinking of going with the reese 25k, but then saw it loses 1.5" of adjustability over the 18K.

We will only be looking at smaller toyhaulers, I'd like to keep it at 34-36 feet, and tandem axles, not looking to get into any trailers past 14k GVWR, so the 25k would be overkill, but would allow me to use the truck to it's full potential (22,800) if need be.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reese 16k hitch

I can only speak for my Reese but very happy with my 16k unit. We pull a 32' toy trailer, triple axle with a 15,500 gvwr.
It's a dbl jaw unit and a slider, even though not necessary with my long bed, it sure helps when able to move back in maneuvering position. Very well built.
For what you sound like pulling, 25k sounds way too much more than needed.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can only speak to the hitch head itself as my B&W is a Companion mount, but the hitch head is extremely well made, tight and quiet. Mine is rated 18K, but I think the version you're looking at is 20K. I certainly can't give you any reason to be dissuaded from the B&W except maybe cost. They aren't giving them away but the build quality is superb. Sounds like the Reese is good also. Life is good when you have dilemmas such as this!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 AM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
I have a 20K Resse and it's been a good hitch and I have looked at the B&W and it's a very good hitch. When I ordered our new truck I was going to buy one but with the way the release arm goes forward it would not clear my tool box so I keep my Reese. I would not buy another Reese because they moved their production to Mexico, the B&W is made in Kansas by USA workers.

Denny

Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I would not buy another Reese because they moved their production to Mexico, the B&W is made in Kansas by USA workers.
Some of the Reese products are made in China as well, although I do not know about the 5er hitches.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I have a Reese Elite™ Series Fifth Wheel 25K hitch. I works well, is sold, no rattles, easy to maintain and easy to remove because it breaks into two parts. It leaves may bed clean when the hitch is removed.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 PM
BuddyB
Mountain Pass
Do I understand that you already have a gooseneck? If so look at the Reese/Bulldog Part # 9481. This uses your existing goosneck hitch and looks pretty easy to install and remove, plus no rails to install. I just purchased one to haul our new to us 40' toyhauler.

Buddy

Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I do have a gooseneck ball. I pull that out of the bed when I am not hauling a gooseneck trailer.

With the Ford factory prep, mount for the gooseneck ball is there under the bed. as are the mounts for the Reese Elite series fifth wheel hitches. They all have covers or pucks to plug them when not in use. I like the system.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM
BuddyB
Mountain Pass
I've heard about the tow prep package, but don't you still have to buy the hitch and hardware? That is not included in the package is it?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
redfire42
Posting Guru
I wouldn't get the single slide bar type, It will over time wear a grove into the king pin since its always pulling on one area, JMO. I have the reese 16K with the double jaws and love it. Have no issues at all with it. You can't go wrong with either Reese or B&M.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
The tow prep package included the under the bed mounting for a gooseneck and fifth wheel. It is made by Reese for Ford. It also includes the trailer electrical connection in the bed as well as under the rear bumper plus a receiver for a tow hitch. There are some others things included also like the electric brake controller.

You have to buy the hitches for whatever you want to tow: gooseneck ball, fifth wheel hitch, and/or trailer hitch. I tow all three types of trailers.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
If I were a betting person, I would bet this is a matter of preference with both contenders competing quite well and without a clear favorite. Folks tend to buy what they like and then explain why. JMO

Steve

Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I agree. Steve. I had a good Husky fifth wheel hitch in my 2000 F-350. I elected to buy the Reese Elite because I did not have to install the rails. The F450 I bought had the factory tow package. And I really like having the clean bed when the goodneck ball and the fifth wheel hitches are out.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
The hitch prep package is everything that is under the bed. I have the gooseneck ball that fits it that I bought aftermarket(all reese, just not from Ford)..........I wanted the 1" extended ball to keep my trailer sitting level. The prep package also has the holes for the 5'ver hitch. I'll buy the 5'ver hitch, adapters don't interest me.

I'm still kind of unsure on the B+W. I like the idea and the 20K, but while I loved the funtion of the turnoverball in my old Dodge, I know that B+W's powdercoat flat out sucks, doesn't hold up out here in the rust belt. While I'd rather stay american made, I'm leaning toward the Reese at this point. Just not enough feedback from B&W users.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
B&W makes a darn good hitch, no doubt about that. If it would have fit the Ford system, I might have bought one. However, I am well satisfied with my Reese.

I bought my gooseneck ball and my hitch from a Reese dealer, not from Ford. The dealer lubed and set up the fifth wheel hitch properly and made sure it was in working order.

Quick Reply: 5TH wheel hitches----Reese VS B+W