Vehicle Specs:
1977 Ford F150 Ranger
400M
Automatic
2WD
C6 Trans
Not sure what stock rear is
California emissions truck

so I picked up a 1977 Ford F-150 Ranger from a guy off Craigslist a few weeks ago, honestly I know alot more now than I did before I bought this and based on the condition it was in I prob would have offered less and beat him down on some of the known issues, but overall I think the truck scraps for $500, I paid $900 for a rough running, needs brakes, leaking oil F150 Classic! no need to quabble over a few hundred bucks when it comes to the love of working on your own vehicles, learning new things, and successfully beating a problem through FTE members, friends, or personal ingenuity.

I have to add that my daughter inspires and motivates me to get Whitey up and running safely, she loves that truck and sits in it all the time while I work on it, she patiently awaits her first test drive!

So far Ive done a tune up which included new valve cover gaskets (had major leak from back of driver side cover), cleaned up all the old oil that had accumulated in this area, fresh oil, filter, fuel filter, locking fuel cap, air cleaner, sprayed out carb, adjusted, changed spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, changed transmission filter, gasket, fluid.

I think thats it so far besides completely cleaning and wiping down interior, pulling out old carpet, I also rewired the stereo wires and speakers, previous owner cut a and hacked a bunch of wires, Im still working on cleaning those up right.

Im currently working on a fuel leak when I fill midship tank, its a substantial leak which in turn cause me not to be able to fill tank.

Also working on an issue in instrument panel, left side of cluster doesnt seem to work includes lights and oil pressure and fuel gauge, I posted another thread on this issue and what Ive tried so far. I plan to trace wires and clean up connectors today.

Also she idles rough still, but noticably better after the full tuneup, did I miss anything on the tune up?
Im thinking she needs a carb rebuild, local carb "experts" say its $125 for a rebuild not sure what all is included in that, if its in the truck still they want an extra $90, I think I'll pull it myself soon. they say one day turnaround. I really want to learn to rebuild one someday, I'll be on the lookout for a 2150 on Craigslist thats cheap.

I put in a big order for a bunch of parts that I could replace on this truck from RockAuto, anyone use this site, prices seem good, and I've seen it used on a bunch of the DIY auto repair shows on tv.

I will update and ad pics as she comes together, Im always open to tips, tricks, or general information that may be helpful. I really think the 73-77 F150's will be the next classic truck that people will want to own, they are still affordable and have a great look to them!

Here's a few pictures to get us started, I'll do my best to snap a few shots during any type of project Im undertaking, but you know how that can be with greasy gloves and $700 iPhone5, like oil and water.
I took these pictures the first day I got Whitey, since then Ive put a few hours into her, I'll add some new ones very soon.

Feel free to subscribe, and Im always open to help from the guys who work on this Ford.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM
DieHardChief
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgot to add I did a compression test on engine, here are my results.
<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-formatther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-formatther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> DRY
Cyl1 – 130, Cyl2 – 130 Cyl3 – 135 Cyl4 -140 Cyl5 -141 Cyl6 – 139 Cyl7 – 140 Cyl8 – 139
WET
Cyl1 – 140, Cyle2 – 135, Cyl3 – 140, Cyl4 – 149, Cyl5 – 150, Cyl6 – 151, Cyl7 – 146, Cyl8 – 158

Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you got hurt for $900. It looks good. Great truck to teach your daughter in, safe, she can't hurt it and parts are cheap.

Change the fuel filter(s) and flush system, then use some cleaner in fuel before rebuilding carb. If you have that bad of a leak, maybe something got in the tank.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM
DieHardChief
Junior User
thanks man, the only fuel filter I didnt change was the one going into the carb, I'll take care of that asap.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:15 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Subscribed.

I think that's a good deal for $900 even with the issues...it's all part of reviving these old work trucks. The body looks relatively solid and complete.... I can't complain about that.

PS, PB, discs, and AC... that's pimpin' already.

The front bumper and turn signal lens are minor. Do the grill insert paint technique for a cheap little detail: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...technique.html

Do I see screw holes over the front wheel arches? Were they for fender flares or race track moulding???

Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice rig! i'm guessing the white was a re-paint?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM
DieHardChief
Junior User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Nice rig! i'm guessing the white was a re-paint?
yes its a repaint from what I can tell. looks like it used to be green.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DieHardChief
yes its a repaint from what I can tell. looks like it used to be green.
Seems that way...those green interiors are highly coveted....

Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM
DieHardChief
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Subscribed.

I think that's a good deal for $900 even with the issues...it's all part of reviving these old work trucks. The body looks relatively solid and complete.... I can't complain about that.

PS, PB, discs, and AC... that's pimpin' already.

The front bumper and turn signal lens are minor. Do the grill insert paint technique for a cheap little detail: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...technique.html

Do I see screw holes over the front wheel arches? Were they for fender flares or race track moulding???
No arguments here, I was pretty happy with all the extra options, body is def straight just looking at it, look slike it was painted in the past decade and paint still looks good, the only body issues are dents, nicks, scratches, but nothing major, at this point I like it that way, gives Whitey some character.

Im looking for an amber turn signal assembly, Ive seen them for anywhere from $20-$50 plus shipping, I'll wait till I either see one at the junkyard, or I have a bunch of cash to throw at this project.

Not sure what those holes are for, maybe I need to look around and see if I can find something on it, might be interesting to know.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
DieHardChief
Junior User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Seems that way...those green interiors are highly coveted....
I happen to come across that info while searching the internet for various things, my understanding is the green panels and dash are hard to come by. unfortunately this dash is cracked, and one door panel has a crack and missing piece, and both have been modified around the door handles. still look good though! I like the green.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 PM
DieHardChief
Junior User
I went to the junkyard yesterday and picked up a few goodies. picslater onceI get them uploaded.
1. a bunch of interior trim screws
2. Instrument cluster with all brackets attached and red circuit board, i want to say it was a 1975 Econoline that I got it from. it def had a 70's paintjob on it.
3. Matching window cranks
4. Amber turn signal assembly to replace my broken one.
5. Ground distribution, im thinking this might clean up some bad grounds
6. really nice leather steering wheel cover, fit on truck perfectly. looks great!

I need to go back and get one of the driver sun visors I saw
Also saw a fairly complete 2 barrel from a 71, i assumed it was a 2100, but if its worth it I might go back and get it and practice rebuilding on that. thoughts?

Let's see, what else have I got done....
I finalized the stereo install, hid all wires, zip tied them...sounds good.
I installed the "new" cluster and I'm betting the fuel gauge works now, saw it move up a little, I know its low on gas so maybe is reading right.
Oil gauge not working, but it may be because a previous PO re routed it to an aftermarket gauge, I have a separate oil pressure gague that appears to work, Im showing abut 80psi. is that normal?

Next project will be getting the carb rebuilt or maybe buy an upgrade, any suggestions on 2 barrel upgrades for this engine?

I plan to clean up the engine bay, rewrap loose wires or wires that have been cut from loom, make it look clean.

Also want to drop midship tank and change out the hoses down there, anyone know the best way to take care of that as far as parts? I've seen a few ideas out there, I'll post what I plan to do, I'd love to hear your guys opinions.

I also noticed the rear tank was disconnected, Ive never worked with fuel, I'm curious what I would need to do to get the rear tank functioning, from what I can tell it was disconnected, I can see the metal lines from the rear tank and they go towards the mid tank, but there is no rubber on the end of the line right there, not sure where I would route it to. also should I be concerned about crap in the rear tank if it hasnt been used in a long time, should I replace it or clean it out first?

those should keep me busy, but another project I am working on is some type of speaker box for behind the seat, something custom, nothing huge.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Fireslayer
New User
I think you got a hell of a deal for $900 on this truck. Ir sounds like most of the work you need to do is pretty standard stuff for a nearly 40 year old vehicle. The body is straight and looks pretty clean overall which is a huge plus. You've got some great plans for it. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM
DieHardChief
Junior User
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="center">'77-'79</td> <td align="center">2.75</td> <td align="center">3.75M</td></tr></tbody></table>
Can anyone explain this for me, its the gear ratio and capacity based on my vin#. What is capacity? Anyone got any ideas they have tried for a swap to tighter gears, Im thinking closer to 3.73's or 3.55's? Is there an interchange I can do for the whole rear that has disc brakes? maybe a ford car, like torino, thunderbird or something?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM
DieHardChief
Junior User
Lightbulb 4 barrel manifold and carburetor upgrade

Im thinking of upgrading the manifold and carb to a 4 barrel setup.

Im loking at the Edelbrock 2171, but it says NON-EGR, Im assuming that means it wont work with my non smog exempt 1977 truck....can anyone clarify this?

Anyone have any recommendation for a mild upgrade to a 4barrel combo?

I got a $500 budget.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 AM
DieHardChief
Junior User
Talking

Originally Posted by Fireslayer
I think you got a hell of a deal for $900 on this truck. Ir sounds like most of the work you need to do is pretty standard stuff for a nearly 40 year old vehicle. The body is straight and looks pretty clean overall which is a huge plus. You've got some great plans for it. Good luck!
Thanks Fireslayer, I agree, I think I got a sweeet deal!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1977 F150 Ranger AKA "Whitey" AKA "The Man" Restoration