Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Fast Lane Truck: Ecoboost vs i-Force vs Ecotec (UPDATED)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Fast Lane Truck: Ecoboost vs i-Force vs Ecotec (UPDATED)

Hi everyone...I was on another site and this was posted...so I had to share it here. Thanks to Al_Kohalic for posting it on the other forum!

Anyway enjoy!

Preview Video

Coming this week: Ike Gauntlet Mega Towing Mashup - YouTube

Day 1: Toyota Tundra i-Force 5.7L

Day 2: Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5L twin turbo

Day 3: Chevrolet Silverado Ecotec 5.3L

Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Thanks for posting Rob, I've seen this posted on F150forum.com but never bothered to watch them for more than a few minutes. I think the host Roman is a class-A meat head, and I just can't handle him talking that much. Not that I'm much better, but my videos are much shorter!

I think they gave the Silverado too many excuses. Not sure if it had a tow/haul mode or not, but the transmission shifting seemed ridiculous to me. It kept grabbing a higher gear and then having to downshift again seconds later rather than holding the appropriate gear. No doubt all three trucks are very capable of towing lots of weight, but this demonstrated very well why the EB is such an outstanding engine for towing.

I have no doubt the Tundra and Silverado would tow my trailer just fine, but they certainly wouldn't do it with the ease the EB does. It would be great to see them test the 5.0 alongside the others in this test.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've watched them all. But, I love this kind of stuff! Like you Crazy, that old boy running his mouth kind of gets on me nerves, but the trucks made me endure his blah, blah, blah mess. I'm certain that Ecoboost would have kept speeding up, if the old boy hadn't let back. Did it getting 11.5 mpg too! I was impressed.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Agreed... Made a lot of excuses for the Chibby. The Ecoboost pretty handily won that competition, even with its "too deep bed."

Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
the guys are annoying, but it goes to show you how well that little 3.5 does. it really is a monster!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
the guys are annoying, but it goes to show you how well that little 3.5 does. it really is a monster!
You bet!! Now if Ford would just boost a V-8 for the superduty.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
You bet!! Now if Ford would just boost a V-8 for the superduty.
Harrumph! I second that motion!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if they boosted the V8 like Ecoboost, we'd have to get a pilot's license to fly that one.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I don't really understand the tests here. They told the guy not to accelerate above 60 but they were timed? and the ecoboost had plenty of throttle left. humm... very scientific indeed. I believe trailer weight was 7k, yet i saw no WD hitch. Makes me want my own show, however I would be bias towards Fords so no dice...

Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Robbgt
I don't really understand the tests here. They told the guy not to accelerate above 60 but they were timed? and the ecoboost had plenty of throttle left. humm... very scientific indeed. I believe trailer weight was 7k, yet i saw no WD hitch. Makes me want my own show, however I would be bias towards Fords so no dice...
Very true Robb, good point. Obviously we did a much better job in Millersburg, perhaps I should go to his producers asking for his job?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Well I watched the first two when I posted up the videos..and right before I had to leave for work I posted the Chevy video but had not watched it. It is really sad that they could not come up with a truck that had the same gear ratio as the others...at least close. It would have been nice to see since the 5.3 is their new motor...but in the end there is no way it would outdo the turbo's at altitudes like that.

I tolerate Roman...but I have to say their tests are always flawed in some way. If you are going to set out to do a real world test you need to at least make SURE the vehicles you are testing are comparable to each other!!!!

Oh well....

Ok Tom...here's the challenge for you! Try to get guys together that have these vehicles and have them tow the same weight and do you own comparisons!! At least you would make sure to keep things as even as possible! What do you say?...Do I have any supporters for Tom doing this REAL real world test?? We could even go to the GM forums and the Ram forums and see if people would like to be in the test! Have all the 1/2 tons across the board including the Titan. HOW ABOUT IT????

Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Ok Tom...here's the challenge for you! Try to get guys together that have these vehicles and have them tow the same weight and do you own comparisons!! At least you would make sure to keep things as even as possible! What do you say?...Do I have any supporters for Tom doing this REAL real world test?? We could even go to the GM forums and the Ram forums and see if people would like to be in the test! Have all the 1/2 tons across the board including the Titan. HOW ABOUT IT????
Sounds good Rob; I'm currently accepting sponsorships!

On a serious note, two years ago Mike Levine of pickuptrucks.com contacted me and was going to come out for one of our meets. Unfortunately he was double booked for the date, but we almost had some professional coverage for once! I'd be happy to do another one if we can find the participants. My trailer is ideal for this; just load up a minivan and we're at 9,000 lbs.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Sounds good Rob; I'm currently accepting sponsorships!

On a serious note, two years ago Mike Levine of pickuptrucks.com contacted me and was going to come out for one of our meets. Unfortunately he was double booked for the date, but we almost had some professional coverage for once! I'd be happy to do another one if we can find the participants. My trailer is ideal for this; just load up a minivan and we're at 9,000 lbs.
Ok so let's set some parameters for the test. I think it would be best to have trucks with real gear ratios for towing...like at least 3.73 or better gearing. Motors have to be also comparable in HP and torque (at least sort of close) and obviously they all have to tow the same load on the same roads. I would also say they have to be stock trucks in every way and all 2013 or higher vehicles. Since you guys have that area that you tow up maybe it would be a good place to start?

How do you want to go about doing a recruitment of the other trucks? I was suggesting going to other forums and asking people if they would be interested in trying the comparison. The other thing would be that of course the owners of the trucks would drive their own vehicles that way there is no holding back to eliminate any fanboy allegations.

Your thoughts?...Anyone else?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you guys seen this?
2013 Light-Duty Challenge: Overview - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports
The F-150 (EB, I think) again wins in almost all categories: acceleration, braking, towing capacity, payload, etc.
I found the braking test interesting, and encouraging. To be honest, IMO that one is even more important than the acceleration & hill performance, especially when towing.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by flixden
Have you guys seen this?
2013 Light-Duty Challenge: Overview - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports
The F-150 (EB, I think) again wins in almost all categories: acceleration, braking, towing capacity, payload, etc.
I found the braking test interesting, and encouraging. To be honest, IMO that one is even more important than the acceleration & hill performance, especially when towing.
Thanks for the link, I must have missed that one. They tested almost an exact copy of my truck, with the only difference being the paint color. And I quote:

Originally Posted by Pickuptrucks.com
The performance in this well-equipped XLT SuperCrew with its Max Tow Package was, quite simply, dominating

Pretty much sums it up.

Quick Reply: Fast Lane Truck: Ecoboost vs i-Force vs Ecotec (UPDATED)