Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big tires? Wide rims? Fire it up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Big tires? Wide rims? Fire it up!

There was no way in hell we were getting the bead seated on these rims... till we put some fire to it.

Big tires? Wide rims? Fire it up! - YouTube

Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 PM
ExSKARsion
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice!

pretty sure this will be the route I'll have to venture when I take my 20x12s to mount on my 42/15/20s

Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
These are 39.5/15/16 on 12" wide rims, so yea, pretty much the same idea.

When I picked up the tires they were stuck on some 7" wide rims, boy were those a pain to get off. My buddy and I gave up and I took them to the tire shop.

I have detirmined that I need to cut back about 3" of fender to clear these, and that is with an 8" lift!

Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
ExSKARsion
Senior User
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy
These are 39.5/15/16 on 12" wide rims, so yea, pretty much the same idea.

When I picked up the tires they were stuck on some 7" wide rims, boy were those a pain to get off. My buddy and I gave up and I took them to the tire shop.

I have detirmined that I need to cut back about 3" of fender to clear these, and that is with an 8" lift!
crazy haha

I have 10+" total lift so hoping I don't have issues with mine. That and the offset is -44 so I think I'll be ok

Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
My tires do hit the springs when turning, I really didn't think that would happen with 12" wid rims and -52mm offset... but it does.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I've done that alot of times. I use starting fluid. I've got a set of 235/75R15s to bead up on 10 inch wide wheels before.
Just to have small tires to bolt on so the big tires can be stored inside and the vehicle outside.
Alot of times have to hit the tire with the air hose right away to keep the tire on the beads, if you just let it go, the fire sucks all the air out basically and pops it back off.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:46 AM
ExSKARsion
Senior User
My tires do hit the springs when turning, I really didn't think that would happen with 12" wid rims and -52mm offset... but it does.
My fenders are already pretty chopped so hopefully I only rub a little lol. How does yours ride?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 AM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Alot of times have to hit the tire with the air hose right away to keep the tire on the beads, if you just let it go, the fire sucks all the air out basically and pops it back off.
Yea, you have to hit it with air right away, otherwise the air inside cools down and the tire starts to implode.

Originally Posted by ExSKARsion
My fenders are already pretty chopped so hopefully I only rub a little lol. How does yours ride?
The ride quality is about the same, but the new handling characteristics are absolutely terrible. This set up is temporary, I want to get some 22x14 Fuel hostage wheels with 40" Mud Grappler Radials. The combination of huge bias ply tires on 16" inch rims is not great.

I am also not pleased that these tires hit the springs on tight turns, I think a 14" wide wheel would fix that.

Here is the truck with the tires mounted, I still need to finish trimming the rear fenders and get some flares and mud flaps on.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 AM
ExSKARsion
Senior User
Yea, you have to hit it with air right away, otherwise the air inside cools down and the tire starts to implode.

The ride quality is about the same, but the new handling characteristics are absolutely terrible. This set up is temporary, I want to get some 22x14 Fuel hostage wheels with 40" Mud Grappler Radials. The combination of huge bias ply tires on 16" inch rims is not great.

I am also not pleased that these tires hit the springs on tight turns, I think a 14" wide wheel would fix that.

Here is the truck with the tires mounted, I still need to finish trimming the rear fenders and get some flares and mud flaps on.

Nice man looks good. Your's looks like a tight squeeze and I can foresee mine being about identical. I have 10" lift but on a 42" tire whereas you have 8" lift with 2" less of tire. Will probably look about the same as far as clearance. Do you have trouble turning both ways or just driver side?

Also, do you have any spacers on? I might look into going that route to keep them off the springs a little more

Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 AM
ExSKARsion
Senior User
This guy clears his 42s but he has 3" more inches of lift than me.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/318342...ord-excursion/

Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Wilmax
Junior User
Exploding Tires

A friend of mine used the explosion method quite often in mounting his dune buggy tires. Had been doing it for years. One day in the middle of the desert a tire exploded and nearly took his leg off. They barely saved him because of the distance they had to go. It took him better than 2 years to recover. I know it's a common practice but be very careful!!!!!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 AM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
we did make a trail, we were pretty far back from the boom. Did all four that way, seems to me that a bead blaster is more dangerous in most cases, since you have to hold it and it has some pretty serious recoil.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

A wider wheel won't fix the rub issue, less backspacing will.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:44 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
A wider wheel won't fix the rub issue, less backspacing will.
Nonsense, if the wheel is 2" wider it will pull the tire out an inch.

Stock wheels are 7" wide with 4.5" backspace, I ran my 315/75R16s on them and they rubbed. Upgraded to the Mickey Thompson wheels that are 12" wide with 4.5" backspace and they pulled the tires out 2.5" due to being 5" wider. No rub not even close. When I put the 15" wide 39.5" tires on the 12" wide rims, rub city.

I am thinking a temp fix might be some mini spring packs to push the axle down in concert with some half inch wheel spacers up front to push the wheels out. I might be able to get just enough clearance that way, at worst it will significantly reduce the rub.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Generally the taller the tire you go with the better chance they will rub the leafs. At some point, there won't be a way to keep them from rubbing the springs no matter how wide u try to make the rims, or space them out. I ran 44x19.5x15s on a 15x14 wheel with 2.5 inches of backspacing, they where on a D60 with radius arms. At full turn, they just bearly hit the arms.

The reason your tires stopped rubbing when you switched from 7 wide wheels to 12 wide wheels is that the tires overall measured hight got shorter, and it rounded off the tire more than the 7 wide wheels did.

Quick Reply: Big tires? Wide rims? Fire it up!