Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Air rivet gun, which to buy? need one for mainly 1/4 inch rivets

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:14 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air rivet gun, which to buy? need one for mainly 1/4 inch rivets

I work in a truck and trailer shop. We have a shop rivet gun that works ..... sometimes. been abused a lot and has thousands of rivets through it. We have tool trucks that come through, Cornwell and snap on. They both have one for about 230$. Pretty good, but the value rivet gun is only 146$ on amazon with free shipping. Tool mark up as always! What are good ones you guys have had good luck with ?

Old 08-24-2013, 05:11 PM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had good luck with the Cleco 4x gun. I've bucked thousands of rivets with one. I really think that the Sioux guns are about the best out there, though. I've also driven thousands with these and havent looked back to the Cleco.

One of the biggest factors is how much room you have to work with. Building trailers, I'd guess you know exactly how large your smallest area to work with is and if you can simply use an offset rivet set to drive what you need to drive...Smaller guns that do the same amount of work are going to cost you, so if you can get away with either doing flush rivets or offset sets, it will probably pay off.

If you can find the same brand online that you can get off the truck (AND you like it), only for a better price, buy it. A decent truck will still honor the warranty. If they wont...screw 'em and get the Sioux.

And stop buying from that truck.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Are you bucking rivets or using the madrel pull type, aka "pop rivets" ?

Would this be another shop tool used by everyone or just you?

Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a pull type that uses mono bolt and other pop type rivets. I will be using it most of the time but will loan it out now and then to co workers. This will not be used for 1000 rivets a day other whose I was told it would be wise to get a 400$ one that is designed for consistent use.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
If what I know is correct the real Mono-Bolts require a VERY special tool to pull them properly.

The normal mandrel-style pulled rivet guns can be had at places like Harbor Freight for $80 or so. Not the best around but certainly less than the normal $400 which I'd expect to pay for a good quality gun.

Tough call unless the budget takes priority. Personally I'd opt for something available through Amazon et al in the upper quality range. They tend to last much longer and be able to withstand the normal bumps and banging such a tool takes.

I use a few variations of the Huck AK-150 but use them about once a year. Even then they're pulling 1/4" aluminum Tri-Split rivets used most often the the auto/truck glass biz. Those might not be what you need though---sorry can't be more specific or helpful.