1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

starter stays engaged after starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Alabama1988
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool starter stays engaged after starting

Just bought 1982 F-150 4x4 inline six and the starter is staying engaged after turning ignition over it does not happen on every start i know the previous owner put a new starter in and that is when the problem started happening the starter is the correct one for this year model.,even if you turn off key it doesn't cut off. The previous owner also replaced the selonoid all of the wiring is good as far as testing and connectivity. Really baffled on this one.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have YOU checked the solenoid rather then simply taking the PO word?
Some people will say anything to sell an item.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Alabama1988
New User
I have checked both parts by part number to ensure that they are correct for this year model.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM
MeanGreen460
Elder User
A low or weak battery can cause your starter to stay engaged .Id replace the starter solenoid first and then draw test the battery also make sure all cables and wires are clean

Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Alabama1988
New User
i plugged a new battery up to it already still has the intermitent engagments. the solenoid is brand new.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
The new solenoids are junk. Get a different brand and try it. We have at least 20 threads on here where people have the same problem. They will have one problem, put a new solenoid on it, and then have the new sticking problem. What do you do? There must be thousands of these junk solenoids in the system.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Alabama1988
New User
I have looked at a few replacements any ideas on a particular manufacturer that will work 1st time up?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MeanGreen460
A low or weak battery can cause your starter to stay engaged .Id replace the starter solenoid first and then draw test the battery also make sure all cables and wires are clean
Huh? How's that going to happen?
A normally on and latching solenoids could stay closed with low voltage, but I don't see how a normally off (like we have) would.

Originally Posted by Franklin2
The new solenoids are junk. Get a different brand and try it.
I like Cole Hersee. I've never had one fail early.
I prefer insulated ones so you have to run a ground wire which better ensures a good circuit for the solenoid coil.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 AM
kevin206
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rovernut
Huh? How's that going to happen?
A normally on and latching solenoids could stay closed with low voltage, but I don't see how a normally off (like we have) would.
Supposedly the starter will draw a higher current through the solenoid if the voltage isn't there. A friend recently had this happen. He replaced the solenoid with the cheapest available. It happened again a few days later. He replaced the new solenoid with an upgraded version. It happened again a few days later. I am convinced that some new cables and a fresh, high amperage battery will cure his ills, but he never listens to me.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
Originally Posted by Alabama1988
Just bought 1982 F-150 4x4 inline six and the starter is staying engaged after turning ignition over it does not happen on every start i know the previous owner put a new starter in and that is when the problem started happening the starter is the correct one for this year model.,even if you turn off key it doesn't cut off. The previous owner also replaced the selonoid all of the wiring is good as far as testing and connectivity. Really baffled on this one.
If you have a new solenoid and all your cables and grounds are good...I would check the ignition switch..

Sometimes, (it happened to me), The switch will wear out and the contacts will short and keep the starter engaged....

Just something to look at...Good Luck.. Trav..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by kevin206
Supposedly the starter will draw a higher current through the solenoid if the voltage isn't there.
Yes, the amperage draw in increases as the voltage goes down, but the motor's speed also decreases as the voltage decreases, eventually resulting in a burned up motor if you keep it on.
But a functioning normally open solenoid can't pass any current at all to a motor unless it has 12v going to it. When they fail and stick closed you'd still get current to the starter when you let go of the key.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:22 AM
mattparham1
Junior User
If you wanna check too make sure its the solenoid pull off the signal wire going too it and if it stops its your switch if not its your solenoid. Most likely the solenoid though, and specific ground strap for the solenoid helps but its def a good idea too either grab and oem used or NOS. or and aftermarket one from cole herse as mentioned above or perko. You can pick them up in marine stores for 25 to 50 bucks there used commonly for windlasses and winches and carry around 750 amp rated intermittent loads.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There could be the issue of the starter itself. The bendix arm could be getting stuck, especially if it is the off the shelf rebuilts at Autozone, etc.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 84espy
There could be the issue of the starter itself. The bendix arm could be getting stuck, especially if it is the off the shelf rebuilts at Autozone, etc.
With an external solenoid the starter can't keep running unless the solenoid is closed (stuck or still getting power for whatever reason). If the bendix is gunked up and not returning it wouldn't be running, but the engine could be spinning the starter.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Just had this happen to my 89 S Wagon last night. (Same type of solenoid). Had to disconnect the battery to stop the starter. Dissected the solenoid. For a sealed unit there was a lot of rust on the plunger that works the contacts, causing it to stick. The connections were corroded and made of steel, not copper which you would expect. (This was a "Duralast" solenoid. As stated above it's junk.

Quick Reply: starter stays engaged after starting