Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 F250 Project

Old 04-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Vadis
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Didn't get much done last weekend as it was spent swapping tires onto DDs.
I did manage to hit up my cab corners with the clean disc and got a good look at what I'm dealing with. My grandfather had done some repair in the corners as I had a layer of bondo to get through first.
Passenger side:

Driver side:

I'll have to get some corners on order.

In other "parts acquiring" news, I managed to trade the 16" 5x5.5 wheels on the new part F-150 for some of the 16" 8x6.5 wheels I was looking for for my truck.
They need polishing so I'm looking up methods right now.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:28 PM
88dually
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did my rims with a nylon clean up disk on a drill, and then re-clear coated.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Vadis
Tuned
I just picked up some aluminum polish and a Mothers Powerball Mini for a drill and tried to polish them up. It didn't work out too well. There's too many rough patches, nicks and dings. I'm going to try the sanding method another day and see if I can get them to look better.
Here's about an hour or so of effort with just the polishing compound and the drill attachment.
The top is uncleaned and the bottom is polished:

and the above here is just soap and water:

Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Clean your powerball, use some 120+ grit sandpaper to smooth out the nicks, sharp edges, etc...(WET SANDING!!!)

And then try a cutting compund like you'd use on car paint.

Then try the Mother's Polish again.

An alternative, is to polish the wheels up, and clean them really well, and clearcoat them.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Vadis
Tuned
I was going to follow this video and see what I can do.
There's a rim with a good size ding about the size of my little finger's nail in it. Think I might need to start with 80 grit and work my way up.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:50 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
PM Gary Lewis down in the 1980-86 forum. He has a REALLY good "How to"

Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Vadis
Tuned
Thanks SideWinder, with the truck out of town at the in-laws working on these kinds of little projects at home makes it seem like I'm actually moving ahead even though the rest of the build seems to be moving at a snails pace.
Too many updates of just parts acquisition and none on the rebuild, gotta change that

Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Vadis
Tuned
Surprise surprise, more parts acquired
A trade went through last weekend for my rough and non-running '78/79 Bronco. I walked away with a non-running '75 F-150 that I'll be using for another build later and a set of 285/75r16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac with 80% tread left on them. Not a bad deal I'd say.

And last night I picked up a pair of Carr Hoop IIs for $20.

This weekend is shot for working on my truck sadly but I'm hoping to finally get the cab off and start on the frame on the May long.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Vadis
Tuned
Cab corners came in yesterday and I took a run out to the In-Law's place to drop off and set up my new engine stand, welder and do a quick mock up of the corners
Looks like the bulk of the rust will be gone with these corners

Going to have to put a smaller patch in above the patch panel but that shouldn't be too hard.

These panels are slightly wrong as there's an indent behind the cab that isn't on the replacement panel but I can just cut the panel before the indent.

Game plan this long weekend is still to remove the cab, pressure wash the frame, diffs, etc and then start removing everything off the frame. Hoping for the best case and can start prepping the frame for paint.
I'm leaning towards Rustoleum gloss black for a top coat over the Chassis Saver.

Cab will be going up on some saw horses for rough body work, then on it's back for prepping and then Chassis Saver/Rustoleum.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Vadis
Tuned
Day 1 of the long weekend seemed like not much got accomplished but in reality it was a bunch of minor crap that had to be taken care of.
Cleaned up the work area and organized parts before pulling the truck out in preparation of the cab removal.
Managed to bend the rear cross member pulling it out
Hoping it can be hammered back into place. Otherwise I'll be finding one off another truck to put in.

After that I removed the 4 remaining bolts holding the cab on and then spend the rest of my time building sawhorses to put the cab on before heading to a family BBQ.

Tomorrow's goals:
-Lift the cab off and onto the sawhorses
-Pressure wash the frame
-Start removal of everything left on after taking lots of reference pictures/videos

And if I manage to get all that done I want to try to get my 300 on the engine stand and start on final assembly on that. Otherwise I'm aiming for Monday for that

Old 05-19-2014, 01:17 AM
Vadis
Tuned
Day 2 went well.
Pulled the cab off finally and got it on the sawhorses with no issues.

It seems a little high but in reality all the sheet metal repair required is on the lower half so I won't have to be leaning over too much

Dragged the frame down to the road

and pressure washed it with a rotating nozzle

then it was back to the pole barn

Got the rear half lifted and on jack stands in preparation for the full floating diff swap from the 6.9 diesel truck.

Noticed a major issue while inspecting today's handy work though.

That's the front bed bolt hole on the driver side. Going to have to weld that up and hope it doesn't crack further

And just before the end of the day I got the engine on the stand and ready to be worked on later

Tomorrow I'll be getting to removing the lines and left over pieces on the frame. It feels good to finally make some progress on the truck and not just buying parts

Old 05-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Progress is looking good! That crack shouldn't be an issue, since it's already edge to edge. Vee it, weld it, done.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vadis
Well my brother and I added yet another parts truck to our stable of parts trucks
This one started life as a 4x2 '94 F-150 with a 302 then some one converted to 4x4. I got it mainly for the 2 gas tanks as they've been ran and aren't rotted out like the other parts trucks that have been sitting for unknown years. The aluminum headache rack, trailer hitch, "go fast" parts on the 302 (shorty headers, MSD coil and throttle body spacer) and Magnaflow exhaust tips were just bonus
[URL="http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/s-parent/media/IMG_1058_zps3e737d5e.jpg.html"][IMG]
I don't know if anybody told you this or not but the 94 gas tanks are different then your 89 gas tanks. I am pretty sure of this as I grabbed 91 fuel tanks and tried putting 88 fuel pump in the rear and it didn't work. The front did but not the rear.

Anyways looks like you are doing a great job on the truck and I am subscribing to see how this comes out. It is sad to see so much rust makes me happy I live in AZ.
Trav

Old 05-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Vadis
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
Progress is looking good! That crack shouldn't be an issue, since it's already edge to edge. Vee it, weld it, done.
Thanks Bob. I'm less worried about the crack now that I looked into fixing it. I plan on fixing it exactly how you described

Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
I don't know if anybody told you this or not but the 94 gas tanks are different then your 89 gas tanks. I am pretty sure of this as I grabbed 91 fuel tanks and tried putting 88 fuel pump in the rear and it didn't work. The front did but not the rear.

Anyways looks like you are doing a great job on the truck and I am subscribing to see how this comes out. It is sad to see so much rust makes me happy I live in AZ.
Trav
I noticed the connectors for the sending units are different but the '89's wiring harness has a connector for the sending unit's plug wire to connect to the harness further up the line. I should be able to swap them and have it work, no?

I may end up not using that side tank from the '94 anyways as my brother has an almost brand new side tank from a donor F-350 frame he bought for his Dana 60 swap. Was probably going to use that as he already has a plastic side tank for his build.

As for today's progress, it wasn't as much as I would've liked as I only got 3-4 hours to work on the truck because of another BBQ. With good weather comes many distractions to keep me from working on my truck

As many know, rusty fasteners can slow you down a ton and that's what I was dealing with today.
Got the exhaust system unbolted (or ground off in some cases) and ready to be removed.
Took a TON of pictures showing where the plastic clips that hold fuel, power, etc lines go and then removed all the clips. Managed to only wreck 2 or 3 tops. Luckily I have many extras from the donor trucks
Pulled apart the metal return line on the passenger side apart and pulled out the wiring harness on the driver side. Just break lines and the fuel lines up at the front by the fuel tank selector valve on up left.

Next weekend is shot because of a road trip but the following week/weekend it's game on

Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vadis
Thanks Bob. I'm less worried about the crack now that I looked into fixing it. I plan on fixing it exactly how you described

I noticed the connectors for the sending units are different but the '89's wiring harness has a connector for the sending unit's plug wire to connect to the harness further up the line. I should be able to swap them and have it work, no?

I may end up not using that side tank from the '94 anyways as my brother has an almost brand new side tank from a donor F-350 frame he bought for his Dana 60 swap. Was probably going to use that as he already has a plastic side tank for his build.
Nope your 89 has 3 fuel pumps. 2 in each tank which are low pressure ones and 1 high pressure one on the fuel rail. The 94 has a high pressure only fuel pump. You can't swap them I tried and no luck it just wouldn't pump. Lucky for me though I have a 91 that I can throw those tanks and pump into if I have to.
for you I think you have to use 87(Not for sure on 87s) to 89 as in 90 they went to that style and some 86s may work (not sure again) but not all as some are carbed I believe and they have the small fuel pump.

Nice progress though. Sorry to let you know this just would hate to see you go through that trouble and not have it work.
Trav

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 F250 Project