Tune up recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 12:17 PM
chia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune up recommendations

I'm not very knowledgable with doing my own work on my 3.0L Automatic 91 Ranger. So I'm wondering what you guys think about what I should get tuned up here. It's been over 9 months since I had a tune up. I have no idea what the previous own took care of on this truck. Idles low and feels like I have to use a heavy foot to get the same response as I would see in most other vehicles I've driven. I don't want to pay for what I don't really 'need' and can't afford so tips from you guys would be appreciated. thanks!

Old 06-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Tune up recommendations

Hello chia, welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

When you say it was tuned up 9 months ago, what kind of service was performed on the truck? Do you recall?

Old 06-15-2003, 09:37 PM
chia
New User
Tune up recommendations

Fluid levels, oil change, spark plugs, spark plug wire set and that's about it. Pretty basic.

Old 06-15-2003, 09:51 PM
saintthomas
Senior User
Tune up recommendations

I recommend that you buy a Haynes Manual. It will give you a schedule for all needed services. The instrutions are veryk detailed. Don't get me wrong. The people here are very knowledgable. The yall have good ideas and tips. But nothing beats a good picture.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Tune up recommendations

Originally posted by chia
Fluid levels, oil change, spark plugs, spark plug wire set and that's about it. Pretty basic.
If you had all that done just nine months ago I wouldn't do any of it again. You might want to pull the plugs out and make sure that they are the right ones and are gapped properly. Maybe clean or change the pcv valve. And check all your vacuum hoses and connections for cracks or leaks.

Getting a Haynes Manual is great advice, it will give you all the info you need to take good care of your truck.