Sponsored by: Moser

2010 F150 Bent Fuel Pump - Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM
JTF150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F150 Bent Fuel Pump - Part 1

Hello. I've experienced a couple of problems the past few weeks and took my 2010 F150 in yesterday. Problems - check engine light on, occasional stalling, wouldn't start after filling the tank with gas and not taking a full tank of gas. Yesterday the first 3 problems were fixed with the replacement of a vapor solenoid - vents gas vapors from the gas tank to the engine. When I picked the vehicle up I drove to the gas station to test the fix. While the engine did start immediately after filling up, I still only registered 3/4 of a tank. I returned this morning and explained the situation. I later received a call that after dropping the gas tank the dealer found a full tank of gas, but a bent fuel pump. I'm not a very knowledgeable vehicle person but to explain - the fuel pump / tank level float are submerged from the top of the plastic gas tank. The pump hangs via two steel rods from a plastic plate that mounts on the top, outside of the gas tank. The dealer called and asked me to come look at the pump. When I arrived they asked if I had been in an accident or if I bought the vehicle used. I answered no to both of these questions and explained that the roughest terrain the truck had seen are the train tracks near my office. The gas tank showed no evidence of impact or damage. The dealer explained they could not replace the pump under warranty as I must have caused some impact or force that bent the fuel pump steel rods. Nothing like this has occurred, not even locking up the brakes.
Can anyone provide an explanation of how this could happen?
Please read on. I did recently purchase a new travel trailer. My F150 Supercrew has a 4.6L V8, tow package and 3.73 axle ratio. I should be able to tow 9300 lbs and handle a payload of 1420 lbs. I've rechecked all of the numbers and I am within the parameters given by Ford. I approach the GVWR of 7000 lbs at 6886lbs. The hitch weight is 764 lbs. Now I do have a weight distributing hitch. In order to attach the hitch I must engage and lock the ball and then raise the back of the truck via the trailer hitch tongue jack. In order to snap the sway bars in place the back of the truck needs to go up roughly 10 - 12 inches. Once the bars are in place the truck is lowered and the hitch as designed should distribute the weight across all for tires, I believe essentially reducing the hitch weight on the rear two tires and spreading some of it to the front two tires. I've never towed a trailer before and this 34', 7500 lb trailer loaded does cause some bouncing of the rear of the truck when I encounter bumps in the road. Could any of this have somehow put a load on the gas tank or exerted forces strong enough to bend the fuel pump?

Thank you to anyone that can provide a possible cause.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
No, not unless the frame bent which is doubtful. The only thing that may have happened it somehow, something has hit the bottom of the tank pushed it up enough to bend the pump. Or it was probably bent from day one. Hard to say.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Is the fuel level problem new? or has it been there since new?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:43 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man I'd be on the phone to the regional rep or call Ford themselves. Isn't there a # for Ford in the manual? I'd have to go look, but I'm heading out with the wife for a few

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
glincecum
New User
Her is my theory: If it was the canister vent solenoid that failed, it could be possible that the solenoid may have not vented, causing negative pressure (vacuum) on the plastic tank, thus imploding the tank. For example, take an old plastic water bottle empty, suck on it and it will collapse. If you are low of fuel and the Vapor management valve is commanded open to send the evap fumes to the engine to burn, and the vent solenoid has failed, it will not pull the stored fumes from the charcoal storage cannister. Just like the water bottle it will collapse, and possibly bending the fuel Delivery Module ( Fuel Pump Rods). My theory.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I'm no lawyer, by any means, nor do I know anything in particular....

but don't they have the burden of proof? Most times when there is a part that failed and they are refusing to honor a warranty, they provide specific reasons.

If the tank was hit, there would be an impact mark. If the truck was abused there would be other proof: alignment, bent rim, broken exhaust ... something.

I think you can demand a letter from them explaining in detail the exact reasons your warranty is being denied "so that your lawyer can review it and file a grievance" they may be more apt to honor the warranty than to go thru the work of explaining why it is being denied and then get sued over it … they are taking the risk of being wrong, you on the other hand have nothing to lose.

Usually if strong language is used in a calm authoritative manner, positive results ensue, particularly when one demands exacting reasons to be in writing.

I get told no quite often, comes with the job, but I rarely let the issue die there.

just a thought.

Last edited by meborder; 08-01-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Formatting is all screwed up ....
Old 08-02-2011, 06:10 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
It's pretty clear that the truck hasn't been abused otherwise the dealer would have noted that immediately.

I would fight Ford and I would pay to replace the pump only so you'll know how much gas you actually have in your tank. Then I would fight Ford for reimbursement.

Or, you could go the more expensive route and trade her in on a 2012.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
Originally Posted by meborder
I'm no lawyer, by any means, nor do I know anything in particular....

but don't they have the burden of proof? Most times when there is a part that failed and they are refusing to honor a warranty, they provide specific reasons.

If the tank was hit, there would be an impact mark. If the truck was abused there would be other proof: alignment, bent rim, broken exhaust ... something.

I think you can demand a letter from them explaining in detail the exact reasons your warranty is being denied "so that your lawyer can review it and file a grievance" they may be more apt to honor the warranty than to go thru the work of explaining why it is being denied and then get sued over it … they are taking the risk of being wrong, you on the other hand have nothing to lose.

Usually if strong language is used in a calm authoritative manner, positive results ensue, particularly when one demands exacting reasons to be in writing.

I get told no quite often, comes with the job, but I rarely let the issue die there.

just a thought.
I agree that Ford has the burden of proof. They have to investigate the problem and identify its source before just refuse to repair it. I also agree with either pretending to contact a lawyer, or even just doing it.

Seems like fuel tank is the four letter word of the week.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Oh man I'd be on the phone to the regional rep or call Ford themselves. Isn't there a # for Ford in the manual? I'd have to go look, but I'm heading out with the wife for a few
Sober yet?

Seriously though, Tim has given you very sound advice.

Additional assistance
If you have questions or concerns, or are unsatisfied with the service you
are receiving, follow these steps:
1. Contact your Sales Representative or Service Advisor at your selling/servicing authorized dealer.
2. If your inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the Sales Manager, Service Manager or Customer Relations Manager.
3. If you require assistance or clarification on Ford Motor Company policies, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center.
Telephone
1-800-392-3673 (FORD)

In order to help you serve you better, please have the following information available when contacting a Customer Relationship Center:
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Your telephone number (home and business)

The name of the authorized dealer and city where located

The vehicle’s current odometer reading In some states, you must directly notify Ford in writing before pursuing remedies under your state’s warranty laws. Ford is also allowed a final repair attempt in some states.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Sober yet?

Yeah, it was a good weekend!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:58 AM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 282 Likes on 131 Posts
File with the BBB.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon4
File with the BBB.
good idea ... Might not hurt to talk to the Attorney General. Sometimes they can be quite helpfull.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by meborder
good idea ... Might not hurt to talk to the Attorney General. Sometimes they can be quite helpfull.
No. Follow the procedure listed in your owner's manual.

The BBB is the last step in the process. Not the first.

THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (BBB) AUTO LINE PROGRAM (U.S. ONLY)
Your satisfaction is important to Ford Motor Company and to your dealer. If a warranty concern has not been resolved using the three-step procedure outlined on the first page of the Customer Assistance section, you may be eligible to participate in the BBB AUTO LINE program. The BBB AUTO LINE program consists of two parts – mediation and arbitration. During mediation, a representative of the BBB will contact both you and Ford Motor Company to explore options for settlement of the claim. If an agreement is not reached during mediation and your claim is eligible, you may participate in the arbitration process. An arbitration hearing will be scheduled so that you can present your case in an informal setting before an impartial person. The arbitrator will consider the testimony provided and make a decision after the hearing. You are not bound by the decision, but should you choose to accept the BBB AUTO LINE decision, Ford must abide by the accepted decision as well. Disputes submitted to the BBB AUTO LINE program are usually decided within forty days after you file your claim with the BBB. BBB AUTO LINE Application: Using the information provided below, please call or write to request a program application. You will be asked for your name and address, general information about your new vehicle, information about your warranty concerns, and any steps you have already taken to try to resolve them. A Customer Claim Form will be mailed that will need to be completed, signed and returned to the BBB along with proof of ownership. Upon receipt, the BBB will review the claim for eligibility under the Program Summary Guidelines.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Jim A
New User
Outcome on this??

I would like to know if you were able to resolve this with Ford. I have experienced a very similar issue with my 2010 F-150 XLT.

Sorry but his is a long story and I am posting on other F-150 sites

Driving home from work (50 miles each way) started trip with 1/2 tank of gas gauge reported I had around 180 mile to empty. 20 miles later got the warning tone that I was 50 miles from empty. I worked my way over to exit the freeway within four miles as I was exiting computer read zero miles to empty. As I was turning into the Gas station truck died. After several tries truck restarted and I got into the station to pump in some gas. I put in five gallons be certain that it was more than enough to get me home. Computer then read 190 miles to empty. Drove the final 25 miles home when I arrived home the computer was reading around 25 miles to empty. I parked the truck and checked over the engine compartment and underneath looking for and smelling for fuel leaks. Nothing was found but there was an indentation in the tank behind the forward band holding the tank. I opened the fuel door and while messing around with the cap-less system I heard and felt air rushing into the tank. Next morning tank was fine no indentation and computer now read 94 miles to empty. Drove to my local dealer and explained everything to service writer. Got a call that afternoon that they had re-flashed the computer per a TSB.

Four days later once again driving home similar issue truck dies as I'm attempting to enter gas station. Started trip with 159 miles to empty 1/4 tank 18 miles later it's reading 35 miles to empty 5 miles later it died showing 7 miles to empty. I the put 6 gallons of gas in computer reads 24 miles to empty. Limp the 27 miles home truck now reads 2 miles to empty.
Back to the Ford dealer in the morning with pictures of the gauge cluster. Later in the day they call to say that they believe it is the fuel level sensor but want to keep the truck for another day and put some more gas in at my expense I say go for it it has to be fixed. They called to let me know they were sure that the problem was the sender and they had to special order the part. So off to the dealer I go on the Friday before Labor Day. The service writer suggested that I try to keep the tank full when driving until the part came in (four gallons added before it overflows) tank is reading a little over 1/2 tank 250 to empty.

Went ahead and drove to work and back on Tuesday some how my work is now 46.7 miles away according to the odometer, mapping programs and my two other vehicles agree that it is 50.1 miles.
Return to Ford Thursday morning to have sender installed later in the day I receive a call saying my fuel pump is bent so service is not covered by warranty!!!!! $700 parts and labor!!!!!!!! They saying that I must have run over something or gone off-road and damaged the pump do it is not warranty claimable. In looking at the pump today yeas the rods are bent but even the mechanic agreed that there is no visible physical damage to the tank itself.
I'm looking for any help or answers.
I told the service writer and mechanic this morning I am disputing the no warranty decision but fix it.
this thread is one of two I have found in a quick search for similar problems.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Old 09-08-2012, 06:22 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy old thread. I'm curious of the outcome myself now.

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 Bent Fuel Pump - Part 1