Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs better with SPOUT connector removed??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 PM
mejonz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=kermmydog;13443447]How & where did kjet get into this topic????)

I believe it is a Bosch fuel injection system a early one I think

Old 08-17-2013, 01:53 AM
Krisverde
Elder User
Originally Posted by tonkyman
I totally agree that the Kjet is stupid. I worked for a Volkswagen Dealer in the late '70s so we worked on a lot of them in Rabbits. The Volvo version worked a little better though.

They tell me the Volvo pulleys came apart due to people using a 3 jaw puller to remove the pulley for timing belt changes. It sounds plausible to me.

It doesn't look like I'll get to work on the truck until weekend due to work related pressures. I'll keep you guys informed as to what I find.

Thanks for all the help,
Tony
I just cant believe how long Mercedes used it for. Dunno why people are using a jaw puller on the redblock pulleys i've always been able to remove it by hand MAYBE a little tappy. Usually timing belt changes take me about an hour on those cars. Redblock is so simple.

The Mustang ECU I have is a A9L so I'm going to give that a shot first thing tomorrow.

Tony

Originally Posted by lew52
The mustang A9L will not work , its for a MAF 5.0 , your 90 will be SD.....
Beat me to it! Forgot to mention that it was for a maf 5.0
Originally Posted by kermmydog
How & where did kjet get into this topic????

I think Tony that the computer option is worth looking into. I would take yours out & open it up & see if you see any corrosion or dull solder joints. See what it looks like inside, you might see a problem right off maybe not. Only if you can get a replacement fairly cheap that will work. Maybe try that. Heck I would think a wrecking yard would trade you I would think the Mustang would be worth more & be more sell-able, maybe not.

Craig
PO was talking about bosch CIS earlier aka kjet.
[QUOTE=mejonz;13443562]
Originally Posted by kermmydog
How & where did kjet get into this topic????)

I believe it is a Bosch fuel injection system a early one I think
Yes I Believe mid 70's perhaps earlier. There were a few variants of it too Mercedes used it all the way up until they no longer made the w126. 92? I think.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM
tonkyman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jdan1993150
If you have a junkyard local to you go there and look for a truck with similar options to yours. IE. 5.0, manual or auto 4x4 or 2wd whatever your truck is.
The replacement PCM I'm using in my truck is from a '90 and my truck is a '93 but it works great cuz the truck it came out of was a 4.9l manual trans just like my truck.
They done away with all the "you pick" yards around here. Now you go in and they have a warehouse with rows of shelves and and all the parts are marked with a paint pin. They look up what you ask for and go get it by bin location, And then charge you a fortune for it.

I really miss the "you pick" yards... we found the coolest stuff every time we went there.

I'll run through all the test we talked about and if it looks like the EEC I'll take mine apart to see if it's something simple. If not then I'll start looking on Craig's list and our local "buy-sale-trade" site. Someone, somewhere has one they took off when they did an upgrade of engine change... I just need to find them.

Tony

Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 AM
tonkyman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Krisverde
I just cant believe how long Mercedes used it for. Dunno why people are using a jaw puller on the redblock pulleys i've always been able to remove it by hand MAYBE a little tappy. Usually timing belt changes take me about an hour on those cars. Redblock is so simple.
If you were doing timing belt changes on schedule then the pulley would slide off really easy but most people didn't change them until they broke and then it was a bit harder to get them off. I always pulled from the center and never had a problem.

I love the red block Volvo engines. I wish everything was built as well and as simple. If it weren't for the crappy crumbling wiring harness I think they would be the most reliable cars of all times. They fixed the wiring in 1989 and I drove a 240 wagon for 400,000 miles and only sold it because my wife died and I didn't want to see the car anymore (it was hers)..... but I have seriously digressed!

Time to get off my butt and work on the truck before the rain gets here.

Later,
Tony

Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Krisverde
Elder User
88 had a good harness on the 2.2 cars also. I just sold my 93 244. Ill miss it. Also word get to working on your truck!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:05 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

[QUOTE=Krisverde;13444183]I just cant believe how long Mercedes used it for. Dunno why people are using a jaw puller on the redblock pulleys i've always been able to remove it by hand MAYBE a little tappy. Usually timing belt changes take me about an hour on those cars. Redblock is so simple.

Beat me to it! Forgot to mention that it was for a maf 5.0

PO was talking about bosch CIS earlier aka kjet.
Originally Posted by mejonz

Yes I Believe mid 70's perhaps earlier. There were a few variants of it too Mercedes used it all the way up until they no longer made the w126. 92? I think.
Thanks, tells you how stupid I am when it comes to imports. I got out when computers came in to the automotive field.

Craig

Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 AM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much ya want for that a9l?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 PM
tonkyman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nflfreak43
How much ya want for that a9l?
$50 and that includes shipping in US but I'd really rather trade for one that will work with my truck.

Tony

Old 08-18-2013, 09:32 PM
tonkyman
Freshman User
Well, I looked at a lot of things today and I'm down to thinking it's the EEC. I checked for timing chain wear using the rotor... I had about 10 degrees of movement so the most it could effect timing would be 5 degrees up or down so we can rule that out.

I reconnected the timing light and tested by revving the engine and watching the timing. It never varied off of ten degrees. Below is a picture of the timing while running. The wide white line is TDC and the short marks are 10, 20, 30 degrees before. As you can see its right on 10 degrees.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9cvintcz0...F150Timing.JPG

I pulled the KOEO and KOER codes and there were none (except self induced codes). I did not pull the battery cable again because i didn't want to erase the codes. I did go drive it for almost and hour with the SPOUT off before I checked the codes so I was shocked when I didn't have a code set for the lack of SPOUT signal.

I didn't have time to remove the EEC and look at it but I plan on doing that tomorrow.

I think I getting closer........

Tony

Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster

I reconnected the timing light and tested by revving the engine and watching the timing. It never varied off of ten degrees.
Tony
Were you checking this with the spout connector in or out? With it out the computer will not adjust the timing, but you knew that. Right?

Just so you know, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ by asking this, I'm just making sure..

Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM
tonkyman
Freshman User
I was checking it with th SPOUT off because the truck is not driveable with it connected. I thought I'd at least see an error code for the SPOUT not being connected.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 PM
tonkyman
Freshman User
I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I was checking the timing with the SPOUT off so I could get the base timing set correctly. When you reconnect the SPOUT the truck runs like crap.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I was checking the timing with the SPOUT off so I could get the base timing set correctly. When you reconnect the SPOUT the truck runs like crap.
I realize it runs like crap with the spout in, BUT, you will not see any timing change from the computer with it out.. So when you said you got no movement when revving the engine, all I was saying is this is normal... The computer only changes the timing with the spout in... I just didn't want you to think since there was no timing change with the spout out the computer was bad...

Is that clearer? I am a do-er not a teacher, sometimes I have trouble explaining things so others can understand.

All in all I think you are on the right track, it sounds like the computer needs defragmenting!!!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Just a thought, have you tried checking the timing with the spout in? I'm wondering what yours is doing.... Usually it will change from 10° to about 20° ± when the spout is replaced..

Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 AM
tonkyman
Freshman User
With the SPOUT in the timing is all over the place. It never stabilizes. It's off the chart ATDC and instantly swings to off the chart BTDC and the light will flash and you want see a mark at all.

Quick Reply: Runs better with SPOUT connector removed??