Sponsored by: Moser

I think my truck hates me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think my truck hates me...

Ok guys I've got some more issues I thought I'd share with you. Any help or guidance is appreciated...

Problem #1: I can't keep the truck in a straight line no matter how hard I try. The front wheels never stay centered...it's like driving a car with manual steering because the steering wheel moves that much. The power steering system leaks...BAD. I can see that the pitman arm is all pitted up from over the years, but everything is tight (I had a mechanic check everything). The pump and gearbox leak. I keep it filled and refill the system once a week. It always leaves a puddle of steering fluid underneath where I park it. The rag joint is in good condition, and appears to have been replaced recently. I've been told that my gearbox and pump need to be resealed or replaced...which I have also heard is alot of money. So I guess I need to know what I should do here. Should I look for a system out of another truck or try to rehab my system with some new seals and a new pitman arm or what? The truck does have new tires too.

Problem #2: I've got a frickin oil leak at the front of the engine. It's coming from behind the harmonic balancer and while I'm driving the oil seeps out, collects on the balancer, then gets flung all over the engine bay. We replaced the front engine seals (waterpump, and front oil pan) after we replaced my fuel pump eccentric. The front oil pan gasket was seated properly but...I still have a leak. Oh yeah I almost forgot that the cam has a speedy sleeve on it too. What is this stupid leak from? I can't see it when I crawl under the truck while the engine is running...thats why I don't know where its coming from or how to fix it...I also have oil collecting on my lower radiator hoseand I don't know where thats coming from either...

Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
#1: Readhead rebuild. The plain bearing housings wear out and become impossible to seal. If you find a used box, it's probably going to have the exact same problem.

#2: Clean off your engine, wipe everything down till there's no grime left, then start the engine and wait for the leak to manifest its self.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Would it be better to try and reseal my existing gearbox or should I just look into getting a new one? I started looking around on ebay (I use it for parts reference) and I see that there are 2 different gearboxes or at least 2 separate price tags...any help on which type of gearbox I need? There are also multiple seal kits on the market as well so how do I know which one I need?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave145
Would it be better to try and reseal my existing gearbox or should I just look into getting a new one?
Neither. A "new" one is someone else's core with a set of seals thrown at it and a new coat of paint. It won't be machined or rebuilt in any way. As devino says, your best option is to send it in to Redhead.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 PM
70 Bronco TX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, Redhead did the PS pump on my 70 Bronco about 14 years ago and it's still going strong. I'm sure a lot of other guys would say the same thing. I'd trust them again.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
not that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have redhead rebuild everything, my truck is my daily driver I need to get back and forth to work so I unfortunately can't have it disabled for much more than a weekend...which is why I haven't had anything major replaced yet (my 400 is beyond tired as is the trans)

Thanks for the input I will have to consider sending in the pump and gearbox at some point. For the time being though, is there any way to fix this wandering issue? I bounce between the lines like I'm driving around drunk...which I'm certainly not...

Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jack up the truck and have a friend move the steering wheel and go find the slop in the linkages!!
Getting a steering gear from Red Head will not create anymore down time other than to change the gear. The send you a rebuilt unit...then you send yours back to get your core refunded.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM
fordfan32
Junior User
Ok guys I've got some more issues I thought I'd share with you. Any help or guidance is appreciated...

Problem #1: I can't keep the truck in a straight line no matter how hard I try. The front wheels never stay centered...it's like driving a car with manual steering because the steering wheel moves that much. The power steering system leaks...BAD. I can see that the pitman arm is all pitted up from over the years, but everything is tight (I had a mechanic check everything). The pump and gearbox leak. I keep it filled and refill the system once a week. It always leaves a puddle of steering fluid underneath where I park it. The rag joint is in good condition, and appears to have been replaced recently. I've been told that my gearbox and pump need to be resealed or replaced...which I have also heard is alot of money. So I guess I need to know what I should do here. Should I look for a system out of another truck or try to rehab my system with some new seals and a new pitman arm or what? The truck does have new tires too.

Problem #2: I've got a frickin oil leak at the front of the engine. It's coming from behind the harmonic balancer and while I'm driving the oil seeps out, collects on the balancer, then gets flung all over the engine bay. We replaced the front engine seals (waterpump, and front oil pan) after we replaced my fuel pump eccentric. The front oil pan gasket was seated properly but...I still have a leak. Oh yeah I almost forgot that the cam has a speedy sleeve on it too. What is this stupid leak from? I can't see it when I crawl under the truck while the engine is running...thats why I don't know where its coming from or how to fix it...I also have oil collecting on my lower radiator hoseand I don't know where thats coming from either...
Problem one. A new box is your safe bet used is often a flip of the coin. I have 2 good used one's however they have sat so long by the time I need them they may be no good. Also check the whole front end just to be sure. Fyi it's not a big job changing the box. 3 bolts 2 lines and the shaft.
Problem two. On these big mile engines the seal front and back get changed a few times eventually the seal cuts into the shaft. You can speedy sleeve it or when installing the New seal do not install it exactly where the old one was. Leave it out a bit or in deeper.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM
rogue40
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Jack up the truck and have a friend move the steering wheel and go find the slop in the linkages!!
Getting a steering gear from Red Head will not create anymore down time other than to change the gear. The send you a rebuilt unit...then you send yours back to get your core refunded.
That, or get a $10 box from the junkyard and send that in with your order to avoid the core charge altogether.
Messing with trying to reseal a worn out box has been a waste of time for me. Good intentions but poor results.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
not that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have redhead rebuild everything, my truck is my daily driver I need to get back and forth to work so I unfortunately can't have it disabled for much more than a weekend...which is why I haven't had anything major replaced yet (my 400 is beyond tired as is the trans)

Thanks for the input I will have to consider sending in the pump and gearbox at some point. For the time being though, is there any way to fix this wandering issue? I bounce between the lines like I'm driving around drunk...which I'm certainly not...
You don't have to send them your parts to be rebuilt. You can have them send you one of theirs from their stock and then, after you do the swap, return your old units as cores. A little more expensive up front but there won't be any delay or down time for you and after they credit your cores, ultimately, no more expensive.
To top it off, the price is competitive with the chain store "spray and pray" rebuilts. Mine was $226.00 plus UPS.

Just so you know, I sent them my box for rebuild. Total turn around from the time I sent it to getting it back was a week and a half.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
The title of your thread is correct, your truck hates you . I'll be a good guy and take it off your hands .

Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Mike that'll be $3000 or trade for a dent with a rebuilt driveline

Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Mike that'll be $3000 or trade for a dent with a rebuilt driveline

Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
I wish I could find a deal like that. Trade my tired truck with rare options for a plain one with a refreshed driveline...even if its kinda rusty...

Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just so you know, if you need any parts there are 3 dents (a 73 f100 and a 77 f250 and a 79 bronco with a 351) at the pick n pull in wadsworth. The bronco may be gone by now, it had been there awhile and was pretty rough to start with.

For the steering, there must be some slop in one or more of the linkages. Like mentioned before, have a buddy wiggle the steering wheel while you look at the linkages. That's what I had to do with mine and I was able to get it tightened up. There is still a little bit of play in the steering wheel, but the truck goes straight down the road without wandering. And mine's a lifted 4x4 with 12.5 inch wide tires lol so I think that's all I can ask for.

Quick Reply: I think my truck hates me...