Clutch problems in 1993 F-150 6 cyl

Old 03-11-2003, 08:06 PM
gatorgrabber
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1993 F-150 6 cyl with 5-speed manual. I was driving to work today and stopped at a light. I felt some resistance when I shifted up to speed. When I hit the next light, I had no shift at all. The clutch depressed, but only returned half way from the floor. I was able to shift to neutral, but not back into first, or any other gear. I got a push out of the intersection and there my truck sits. I added fluid to the clutch reservoir and pumped the pedal a few times until I got complete return on the clutch pedal, but I still cannot shift out of neutral. Any ideas?

josh

Old 03-11-2003, 11:49 PM
gatorgrabber
New User

I was looking around the site and found Jeff Fisher's tech article. I'll have to check this out on my truck after I drive my wife's Saturn home from work today.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:49 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Slave cylinder is probably shot. Is it the external type, or the concentric?

Old 03-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi gatorgrabber and welcome to FTE

How low was the clutch fluid? Did you remove the rubber cup/gasket when you filled the master cylinder? If you didnt, the fluid just sits on top of it and doesnt do any good.
It sounds to me like your clutch slave cylinder is probably leaking. If you look under the truck at the bellhousing you might see fluid leaking out from it or stains from where it has leaked. If that is the case you will have to pull the transmission out and replace the slave cylinder.
And it can take LOTS of pedal pumping before enough air is out of the sytem for it to work at all, even after replacing the slave cylinder.

Old 03-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Big300
New User

How cold is it there ? I had 86 & now have 96 that uses clutch fluid below 0 F . Was at dealer yesterday & mechanic had no explanation but said alot of people say same thing. After adding fluid (below rubber) it takes alot of pumping pedal.Not only need full pedal but not much freeplay or easy pedal at top of travel. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2003, 07:23 PM
gatorgrabber
New User
Thumbs down Clutch problems in 1993 F-150 6 cyl

All,

Racerguy- Yes I did pull out the rubber cup in the clutch reservoir, but there was minimal need for fluid. I had difficulty shifting once before and the cylinder was just about dry, but this time there appeared to be plenty of fluid. I also checed the pedal linkage and all was in perfect working order.

I did have some leakage coming from between the motor and the transmission, but had always assumed that to be motor oil because it was black and the dipstick showed a measurable loss of fluid after a week or so.

I did some further research and reading and determined that I have the internal hydraulic clutch. I also learned that it is not recommended that the casual mechanic attempt to replace or repair it. So I took my truck to the shop and $794.00 and five days later, I got my truck back with an entire new clutch, slave cylinder, and appreciation for the amount of effort the job required.

The mechanic who did the work tells me he had my truck up on the lifts no less than three times with close to thirty man hours involved. He only charged me for the first time he put the truck up because it didn't work when he brought it down.

Thank you for your assistance. My grandfather always said there was a gaping hole in my education. He and my father used to work on dirt track racers in the Fifties and Sixties. I never felt the calling when I was younger. Instead I, as my grandpa used to say, "wasted my youth on those damned computing mathings."

Gatorgrabber

Last edited by gatorgrabber; 06-14-2003 at 07:33 PM.

Search this Thread