Sponsored by: Moser

Another MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:28 AM
DLTtoday
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another MPG question

I have searched, read, and looked through posts till I have a headache.
Looks to me that I'm not getting the MPG that others are getting. Think I read one post that said one user had to get his computer reprogrammed and got better mileage.

I have a
2011 supercrew FX4
Ecoboost
3.73 gears
18,500 miles
18" rims, stock tires.
Not max tow.
75-100 degrees outside.
Ac on, driver window cracked.
No tools, trailer, vent shades, etc. and usually just me in the truck.

I drive
12 min down back roads with 3 stop signs at 60-65 mph.
Get on interstate for 15 min with cruise on at 75 (2000 rpm)
And 5-7 min 34-50 mph and two turns through traffic till I pull into work.

Don't have a lead foot, barely ever get into the throttle.

I can't seem to hit 16 mpg. Stays between 14.8 and 15.8.

Just took a long trip to Atlanta, 550 miles round trip. Cruise on 82 and averaged in the mid 15's mpg.

Seems like others with the same setup are getting 18-21 mpg with similar setups.

I know I'm driving a heavy brick 4x4, but if I should be getting 18-20 I'd sure like to instead of 14-16.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comparisons from people with same setup?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck is similar but with Max tow and 6.5 foot bed. I would get about 16.5- 17 mpg in a scenario like your daily driving. It drops about 2 mpg in winter. Just got 17 mpg on a 5K mile trip across the country, mostly ~ 78 mph. Never seen over 18 mpg ever! I drive about 500 miles on a tank of fuel and do not calculate fuel economy on intervals less than that. I've noticed shorter intervals tend to give rosy results that are false. The more miles you drive the better the data.

I do expect to get the worst mileage because I have the largest possible F150 that can be ordered, 4WD, and a topper. But many other people report 20 - 23 mpg with their Ecoboost and some have crew cab and 4WD. That's a huge disparity. I've stewed on that a few times (or more like steamed over it ) and noticed a trend that the really good mileage are with the lower gear sets. People with 3.73 gear get mileage more like me. Ecoboost seems to be pretty sensitive to gearing. Fuel selection is going to effect mileage too. I usually run premium fuel because I like the extra HP. Not sure what happens to fuel economy when you fill with 87 octane but I do know the engine tune changes to avoid knock and there is a noticeable drop in HP.

I haven't had any issues with my Ecoboost truck. Thinking about trading in my extended warranty and using the money for a tune and down pipe. Mostly just for the fun of it, but a little for the improved mileage.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:59 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really think it's the gearing. A lot of people saying they get fantastic EB mileage have shorter gears. The 3.73 ratio seems to keep the turbos spooled at freeway speeds, which burns fuel like mad.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:48 PM
DLTtoday
Junior User
I was just checking. Did not expect good mileage with a 7200 pound box, but wanted to make sure it was what it was supposed to be. If it could be better I'd surely make it that way.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Christin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tvsjr
I really think it's the gearing. A lot of people saying they get fantastic EB mileage have shorter gears. The 3.73 ratio seems to keep the turbos spooled at freeway speeds, which burns fuel like mad.
I have 2011 eco Max tow and get 19-21 all day long with the 3.73 gears. Turbos don't spool up anymore than a 3.55 gear set but the engine does turn a tad faster which would decrease fuel mileage a tad. I travel with a guy from work with the 3.55's on his rousch boost gauge we are running same boost but my truck turns at slightly higher rpms

Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM
DLTtoday
Junior User
Originally Posted by Christin
I have 2011 eco Max tow and get 19-21 all day long with the 3.73 gears. Turbos don't spool up anymore than a 3.55 gear set but the engine does turn a tad faster which would decrease fuel mileage a tad. I travel with a guy from work with the 3.55's on his rousch boost gauge we are running same boost but my truck turns at slightly higher rpms
And this is the reason for my questions. Why such a difference?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:02 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that many things affect the ecoboost trucks. Speed, payload, towing, tires, gears and terrain.

My 2011 Scab 4x4 EB is getting 19 mixed and 24 on flat freeway doing 65-70. My daughter goes to college in the blue Ridge mountains of Va. Going from home to school is 200 miles, first half pretty flat and the second is a constant comfortable climb.

Combined on that trip I see 20 everytime. My truck has the 3.31 axles and 235x17' tires. We're not normally heavily loaded on these trips unless it's the beginning or end of school.

I will add that the manufacturer's sticker should be looked at again. Under the large MPG estimates are smaller printed numbers that depict a more realistic MPG range. It seems like everyone on here is within that MPG range.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
n2umr
Senior User
I used to get the same mileage. I drive 26 miles round trip every day to work a mix of 60/40 interstate local roads. I would set the cruise at 72 and lighted footed on the local roads.

The last 4 tanks of gas I cut back by speed on the interstate to 68 and my mileage went from 16.5 average to 18.1. Speed reall makes a difference.

I have a 2011 Lariat 4x4 6.5 box crew cab w/3.55 gears and 20" tires.

Mark

Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
This is ALWAYS a hot topic and has been discussed in tons of threads all over the boards.

Since there are so many things that effect fuel milage not everyone will have the same results. Obviously tire size and type of tire (mud tire or touring tire), correct tire inflation here is a clip from tire rack on under inflated tires:Disadvantages of Underinflation

An underinflated tire can't maintain its shape and becomes flatter than intended while in contact with the road. If a vehicle’s tires are underinflated by only 6 psi it could lead to tire failure. Additionally, the tire’s tread life could be reduced by as much as 25%. Lower inflation pressure will allow the tire to deflect (bend) more as it rolls. This will build up internal heat, increase rolling resistance and cause a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%. You would experience a significant loss of steering precision and cornering stability. While 6 psi doesn’t seem excessively low, remember, it usually represents about 20% of the tire’s recommended pressure.

whether you lift your truck or not, summer vs. winter fuel, wind, degree of grade, led-footedness, etc. all have a play in your fuel milage.

The first thing I would do if I didn't have anywhere near the stated milage is go back to the dealer and have them check it out. Mine just recently had a PCM recall due to some emission issues when they flashed the truck after being built. I haven't noticed a huge difference but I am seeing close to 20 mpg driving at 65 with my ecoboost. There are times when I need to get to work quicker and driving 65 on cruise control won't get me there quick enough. I drive about 35 miles one way to work and during the drive have a steady incline most of the way to work. Coming back I have to climb a 4% grade (maybe more) and then it is mostly downhill for the most part.

Going to work I get around 17-18 mpg in cruise at 65...coming home I get 20-20.5 mpg in cruise at 65 mph. (according to the lie-o-meter) I do find myself kind of rooting the truck to get better milage as I see the MPG increase and decrease during my drive to and from work..lol A lot of the time it gets pretty windy in a lot of the stretches there and back so that does obviously effect things. My truck is completely stock, max tow (3.73 gearing), with 20" tires and Bridgestone Dueler tires (my next tire will be the Michelin LTX/MS2's!).

Hope this helps and Welcome to the forum!!.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 PM
JeffHann74
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Ecoboost, Max tow, 4x4, 3:73 rear end...

I drive in town (stop sign every other intersection) with some highway and I am usually around 16.5 at each fill up. Doesnt help when I am on the highway that I push 80 sometimes.

Full blown, get on the highway and cruise I can get 21 or so if I keep my foot out of it. Its really hard to NOT drive 70+ sometimes.

I think local gas blends have something to do with it? Environment? I live in Texas and its been 100+ the past week or so. I am sure the engine compartment is 200 degrees, whereas in a cooler place, it may be alot cooler under the hood.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 PM
DLTtoday
Junior User
105 here today. Still running mid 15 mpg.
Think I will see about reflashing computer.
Couldn't hurt at least.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffHann74
I am sure the engine compartment is 200 degrees, whereas in a cooler place, it may be alot cooler under the hood.
I am sorry this struck me as pretty funny!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 AM
thomastl
Senior User
Speed on the highway is the biggest driver along with the amount of hills in your area. I have studied this for a while and if you notice, most of the people getting 19+ on the highway are not saying anything about running 75+ mph. I set the cruise on 74 on the interstate (some hills in north Alabama) and I get 18mpg average. But back road at 55 to 60 mph I can get as high as 20mpg if I try.
Your speed of 80+ is killing you.

2013 4x4 screw, 20" tires, 3.55 gear.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:45 AM
excoelis
Junior User
I have a 2010 Ford F150, SCab, 4x4 5.4L and 3.73 gears and have never got above 15mpg. But I drive with a heavy foot both city and highway. I think if I were to drive like granny I could probably get 17- 19 mpg on the highway.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
DLTtoday
Junior User
Originally Posted by thomastl
Speed on the highway is the biggest driver along with the amount of hills in your area. I have studied this for a while and if you notice, most of the people getting 19+ on the highway are not saying anything about running 75+ mph. I set the cruise on 74 on the interstate (some hills in north Alabama) and I get 18mpg average. But back road at 55 to 60 mph I can get as high as 20mpg if I try.
Your speed of 80+ is killing you.

2013 4x4 screw, 20" tires, 3.55 gear.
For testing purposes I have not gone above 75. Cruise set at 70-72. Been driving like an absolute granny. (Getting passed by granny) Still won't break 16 . Ground is all but flat the whole way.

Quick Reply: Another MPG question