1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

FRONT SEAT & CONSOLE OPTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
I find this an interesting thread with some great pictures. For future entries with "what works" it would be nice to know if the original behind the seat gas tank was retained. Or if anyone who has posted would like to edit their reply, it could be helpful to some.
I second that!! AND just to make it more complicated a pic of the brackets you made/bought that made your seats fit....lol. Just asking.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Today I finally got around to installing my shifter that I had taken out of a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus. One decision that I had to make was how high I wanted the shifter to sit between the seats which made me take into consideration how I wanted the console to run. I wanted the console to waterfall from the rear window running between the seats and connecting to the dash. So I spent the afternoon killing a lot of poster board with different ideas.

I pulled a hideaway cup holder from another Chrysler product while I was at the salvage yard in hopes of maybe adapting it to the console. I guess I'm going to have to try to incorporate a curvature into the console design that will match the curves of the cup holder. I'm not sure how easily I will be able to make changes in the plastic that it's made of.

If I finally come up with a design that I like, I'm planning on taping the pattern to the underside of a piece of glass and do a thin layup of fiberglass on the top side that matches the pattern.

Hopefully the fiberglass will allow me to build a light weight console with flexibility to make changes fairly easy.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I picked up a set of center row seats out of an Olds Silhouette that seem like they're going to work just fine in the '49 F4. They slide, tilt lock in different positions and have arm rests. The passenger seat has a dual cup holder that fits between the two seats. There are several inches between the seats and room at each door side. As a preliminary, I have them on one and a half inch blocks which I believe will be about right size to fab the brackets. I like the fact that the "top of the fuel tank" storage tray is accessible.
Edit: The forward edge of the seats in the retracted position is about the same as the original bench seat.

Attached Images    
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I picked up a set of center row seats out of an Olds Silhouette that seem like they're going to work just fine in the '49 F4. They slide, tilt lock in different positions and have arm rests. The passenger seat has a dual cup holder that fits between the two seats. There are several inches between the seats and room at each door side. As a preliminary, I have them on one and a half inch blocks which I believe will be about right size to fab the brackets. I like the fact that the "top of the fuel tank" storage tray is accessible.
Edit: The forward edge of the seats in the retracted position is about the same as the original bench seat.
Those are really nice looking seats. I bet I walked past a half dozen of those Silhouettes in the salvage yards and never looked at the seats in the back. Good pick!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM
DW SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by BOB FERGUSON
Guys,

Moving right along with our '56 build. Bid question ?

Can anyone give us some info and photos of their front seat choice . Looking for Bucket Seats with Console . Everyone that looks at someone's Hot Rod pokes a head in , so we want a LOOK !!!!

Saw a lot of cleaver ideas @ this years Super Nationals in PF, but never asked a specific question about what make, model, year of seats ?

I'm sure there is a herd of ideas coming our way !

Standing by,
Bob,
I'm using a late 90s Dodge Caravan rear bench seat. I cut out the latching mechanism and will make some mounts from angle iron. The height is just right when sitting on a 3/4" shim in he rear (after removing the latching mechanism). I plan to have it covered in some vintage looking leather / twill combo.

I've never liked the caravan but the seat is comfortable. I'm confident it will look great. I'm envisioning something in,the camel to chocolate spectrum.

Did you get the headers selected and fitted?

I'll snap another photo.
Doug

Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have and still am looking for an 06 to 08 f150 3 piece bench. I have measured one and it is almost exactly the same size overall as the original bench.

If I could score one, then have Drew drop in and design a bitchin console like his for my truck I would be smiling wide.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
My seats are out of a 2005 VW Jetta. The console and shifter are from a 2007 Ford Edge.

The console is not installed yet. I am still working out the details...

Name:  DSC00833b.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  108.2 KB

Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
DW SD
Senior User
Hi Bob,
Here's a few pictures of the seat. Simple angle iron brackets on the outer corners will bolt through the beefed up cross members on the body.

I will figure out a way to remove the plastic looking covers or fabricate something more vintage looking.

I think the 1951 might be a slightly narrower cab than yours?
I will also remove the headrests and maybe have the upholstery guy build the back up a bit taller.

Doug

Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every once in a while you will run across a gem like this in craigslist:
Vintage, Chevy 2Dr Bench Seat, Complete.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by smallello
My seats are out of a 2005 VW Jetta. The console and shifter are from a 2007 Ford Edge.

The console is not installed yet. I am still working out the details...

Attachment 84023
I'm liking that console!! Good find.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM
DW SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by DW SD
Bob,
I'm using a late 90s Dodge Caravan rear bench seat. I cut out the latching mechanism and will make some mounts from angle iron. The height is just right when sitting on a 3/4" shim in he rear (after removing the latching mechanism). I plan to have it covered in some vintage looking leather / twill combo.

I've never liked the caravan but the seat is comfortable. I'm confident it will look great. I'm envisioning something in,the camel to chocolate spectrum.

Did you get the headers selected and fitted?

I'll snap another photo.
Doug
Here's another photo.

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM
hillcogolfer
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
seats

I'm trying to figure out a seat (or seats) that will give me some legroom and looks like that Olds seat you found might be the ticket. great! Just bought a '50 F1 with a bench seat in it (not the factory one) that some short legged person must have put in.....even if it's all the way back as far as it will go I'm still leg crampping after a few minutes. I too have the in-cab gas tank and the little tool holder above it....and my seatback is still 4 to five inches from that!

This Olds seat deal sounds like it'll work great. And....looks like it too. Are you planning any seatbelt and/or shoulder strap add-ons?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Hillcountry,
Welcome Aboard! We've got a '50 F1 as well. No buckets at this point but we used an S-10 seat & it fits just fine.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Old 11-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Is it only me, but when I saw that livingroom loveseat, I immediately pictured a long legged gal in black stockings stroking that steel shifter up and down....Jeez, gotta take a shower after that...

Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
A few pictures of the Olds seats on their new framework. I centered the driver seat to the steering wheel and mounted the passenger seat close to the door. These positions gave me enough room between the seats for the cup holders that are built in to the passenger seat.

Attached Images      

Quick Reply: FRONT SEAT & CONSOLE OPTIONS