Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New truck options, minus the zebra stripes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 368 Likes on 278 Posts
New truck options, minus the zebra stripes

Hey guys, its been quite a while since I've been on here.

I am at a point where I may need another vehicle as my currrent daily driver (68 Mustang) is going to be getting some new sheet metal and floors which will put it out for awhile while work is performed. Not to mention, the MPGss are terrible lol. I have to drive quite a ways on the higway to get to work also.

So I really only need a good vehicle to commute to/from work. I wanted something reliable and easy to maintain, so I am leaning towards getting a trusty old Ford truck.

Currently my most viable options are these two trucks.

1993 F150 short wheelbase, 2wd 300 w/ 5spd

93 f150 300cid shrt wheelbase. "Runs"

1983 Bronco 351w auto

1983 Ford Bronco

I like the F150 since it will prolly be considerably better on gas, tho the seller claims that it runs rough, only due to a fuel filter....I'd think that after putting a new battery, fuel pump, and tank as they claim...a $7 filter seems trivial not to replace to fix the issue. So I'm thinking there may be more to that then they know/ are telling

The bronco looks great, at least to me, the only thing holding me back is a carbed 351 with a cam and headers is not going to get anywhere near good gas mileage.

Let me know what you guys think of these two trucks. I am in no hurry, but I want to keep an eye out for a good deal. I want something decent with MPGs, hoping for mid teens at least, thats a big stretch for a 351 tho.

Feel free to post any comments, gripes, complaints. I am now in Austin, TX as I was relocated from WV.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For a DD, I'd go with the unmodified 93

Old 08-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Thats what I was leaning torwards, as cool as teh Bronco would be. Though I am a bit concerned about the 93 running rough. If they've done all this other work, while pull the brakes on a $7 fuel filter. I have no real experience with the 300 either, tho I can learn with the help of the vast knowledge base and experts on here

Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Completely missed that, I thought it was the Bronco that runs rough. I'd have to agree, if it's just a fuel filter they'd have replaced it. Plus, I've never, in my almost 30 years of driving, experienced a clogged fuel filter that made a car run rough. Most of the time it's just down on power (or won't start at all).

If ya have the time, keep looking. Nothing sucks harder than having two vehicles you're working on all the time!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Yeah, I really don't want to have to put a whole lot of time into this future truck. I understand that it'll need a full tune-up and fluid change, but i just don't want to always be under the hood of this vs my Mustang.

The Bronco with the 351 runs great the owner says, he hasn't measured it out but the MPG isn't going to be great.

There was also another truck worth mentioning, a 78 F350 2wd 400 with a wrecker bed. Though I sadly had to put that dream to rest as it def won't get good mileage.....ever

I may swing by and take a closer look at the 93. I might even pick up a fuel filter and change it for him so i can see if it magically runs better.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Got another reply from the F150 owner. The truck has about 209,000 miles on it. That seems a bit high, but for the price it isn't terrible. Also says the truck is in tip-top shape and doesn't use any oil, just needs a good tune-up.

This truck is very tempting, I think I need to swing by and see it in person. I want to see what the "runs rough" comment is about.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:00 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Got another reply from the F150 owner. The truck has about 209,000 miles on it. That seems a bit high, but for the price it isn't terrible. Also says the truck is in tip-top shape and doesn't use any oil, just needs a good tune-up.

This truck is very tempting, I think I need to swing by and see it in person. I want to see what the "runs rough" comment is about.
My 1992 F150 has 208,000 miles and other than the bad PCM I'm having to replace...Is relatively low maintenance (****ty PO's)..

I say go with it....Nothing easier than an I6 to work on.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Yeah, I am going to try and set up a time to see and drive the truck. They won't send me any pics of the interior, just saying "nothing in there but an old bench seat, steering wheel and shifter"....hmmm

Its not too far away from me, but that dang rush hour traffic here is a killer.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Pull the ECU codes from the 93 F150. That will give you info on what's going on. I did that on a truck I was looking at, the owner refused me to pull codes, so I walked on that truck(he did stop me from leaving and said I could, but I was pissed at him and left anyway, truck is still sitting there too...)

The dash bezel is probly busted up, a common issue on these trucks..... good luck finding one in a junk yard.....

Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
I guess if all it really needs is a tune up, and you can talk him down on price, maybe it's worth it. Hell, I bought my Centurion for $700 because the PO thought it "dropped a valve". All it turned out to be was cracked insulation, on all 8 plugs, that he had JUST replaced.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Well he messaged me back saying that he "fixed" the issue and now wants alot more money unless I come buy it tonight.....I think I'll pass. There will be another truck.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
I guess if all it really needs is a tune up, and you can talk him down on price, maybe it's worth it. Hell, I bought my Centurion for $700 because the PO thought it "dropped a valve". All it turned out to be was cracked insulation, on all 8 plugs, that he had JUST replaced.
All it'd take would be:

-6 Sparkplugs
-Set of plug wires
-Dizzy Cap/Rotary Button
-Fuel Filter
-Oil Filter/Oil Change
-Transmission Fluid Change
-Differential Fluid Change
-U Joints (Possibly, but cheap enough so why not?)
-Brake Shoes, Drums, Pads and Calipers (If you're REALLY in the mood for it)
-Brake and Powersteering Fluid Changes

That's the tip of the iceberg, as to what I've replaced on mine in 2 yrs, but it's danged near a new truck now.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Well he messaged me back saying that he "fixed" the issue and now wants alot more money unless I come buy it tonight.....I think I'll pass. There will be another truck.
Damn that sounds fishy....

Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Fishy, indeed. Good call on passing on it.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Good call,,, something is rotten with this deal.....

Quick Reply: New truck options, minus the zebra stripes