2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

"Left Rear Door Ajar" Please Help!!!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:51 PM
kcavanagh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too had the left rear door ajar error message and tried the wd-40 with no luck. Initial inspection of the harness from the door to the pillar didn't reveal any damage, but after unwrapping the felt tape, there was a break in the green wire.

One butt splice later, the light was gone. Now they had 2 other wires damaged in the same area which may be speaker wires, but they were not completely severed. Since the wires weren't broken, I just securely taped everything back up, but will know for next time should there be a speaker issue.

Helpful hint: peel back the tape on the wires inside of the rubber accordion boot to get a good look as this seems to be a common Ford problem.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Kyle Sandoval
New User
Worked for me.

So I created an account just to say thanks. This saved me money and frustration. Opened the boot up and sure enough all but the two thick cables were snapped

Old 05-02-2018, 02:23 AM
JStauff
Freshman User
Hi Guys I'm having the same door ajar problem with my F350.
Would you please verify the wiring harness I've identified in the parts diagram looks like the correct one.

Ford Door Wire Harness

Thanks!!
John

Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 AM
calvynandhobbs
Junior User
This has been a good read and gives me some ideas of where to look. My left rear door ajar light just started coming on yesterday on my 14 Screw. I have to look at the switch area and latch first though because the door itself doesn't close as far as the passenger side. It doesn't feel the same as when closing the passenger door and seems to actually come out just a hair after closing. I can visibly see the difference in where the door is sitting when closed.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 PM
JStauff
Freshman User
My problem ended up being the switch located with the bottom latch mechanism. Not the wiring harness in the accordian.
I just snipped the wires and bypassed the switch. Problem gone!!

Old 08-05-2018, 11:43 AM
parapup3
New User
Cool Catching a clue as to where the problem lies...

Originally Posted by bddo
I went back out to do some more investigative work this morning and pulled the rubber sleeve back from the wiring harness where it goes from the door in to the door frame. What I found was very disappointing. There were 2 wires that were crimped right next to the plug to the point that wire was exposed. There were 2 wires further back in the harness that were crimped as well, and 1 wire that was completely broken.

The issue appears to be related to the plastic piece that is put in the harness to hold it straight in the rubber boot. If it gets bent, it causes the harness to bend in to a "V" shape rather than collapse like an accordian.

I spliced the broken wire and wrapped the others in electrical tape, straightened the plastic piece as best I could, wrapped everything back up in the existing wrapping, and then wrapped it all with electrical tape. It still bends a little, but I'm going to keep an eye on it and make adjustments if necessary. I checked the other doors and they are all working as expected.

I'll try to upload a couple of pics of the harness showing the damage when I get a chance.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Having read your posting; I now have a clue as to where to look for my problem / cause to the "Left rear door ajar" warning. I'm about to head out with electrical tape in hand and try to solve my problem.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Muskoka Jay
New User
FOUND IT!!

Well folks..after quite a long time I finally had time to re-address my "left rear door ajar" issue. I had simply removed the fuses for my interior lights after my battery died for the first time.

so happy I found this thread..cause I popped the rubber boot off the wiring harness to see if I was lucky enough to have found my problem..and i think it's safe to say we found it..

This is what i found...

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!

CHEERS

JAY

Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 PM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Geez! A little more than a skint wire eh.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Happy I found this thread. Led me right to the problem. Appreciate guys!

Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Sandog187
New User
Originally Posted by JStauff
My problem ended up being the switch located with the bottom latch mechanism. Not the wiring harness in the accordian.
I just snipped the wires and bypassed the switch. Problem gone!!
I don't do a lot of work on my truck, but I pulled the front door apart and cut those wires. It's still a problem, so I'm thinking it's the back door. Which wires? What color are they?

Also, does the electricity arc from the wrong wire to another one and that's what causes it to stay on? I would think if they were going bad and you just cut them completely, the problem would get worse, not better.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:00 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Sandog187
I don't do a lot of work on my truck, but I pulled the front door apart and cut those wires. It's still a problem, so I'm thinking it's the back door. Which wires? What color are they?

Also, does the electricity arc from the wrong wire to another one and that's what causes it to stay on? I would think if they were going bad and you just cut them completely, the problem would get worse, not better.
bypassed, so cut out the switch and spliced the wires together probably, according to his post. The cluster should tell you which door is open.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:24 PM
Sandog187
New User
Originally Posted by Benztechnc

bypassed, so cut out the switch and spliced the wires together probably, according to his post. The cluster should tell you which door is open.
Thanks for the fast response.

So I should connect the wires to each other after I cut them? Sorry, I must have missed that step in my research. That'll save me a lot of time if that's the case. I was using this YouTube video to try to fix it:
One of the comments says that this doesn't work on the driver's side, and I originally thought this side might be the problem because I could open the door and the light would turn off (even while driving). However, the wires were the same color, I didn't lose any functionality that I know of, and the light went off for a week or so. Then I went on vacation and didn't drive it, and the door ajar light came back on.

Sorry for the information overload.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:05 PM
VintageBikesUSA
Cross-Country
Just so you know this was a recall on the extended cab Nissan Titan, its just the fact that the wires get tons of abuse.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:29 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Overheard at a glass recycle plant " Last time I saw that door it was a jar"
Sorry sometimes I just can't help myself.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Sandog187
Thanks for the fast response.

So I should connect the wires to each other after I cut them? Sorry, I must have missed that step in my research. That'll save me a lot of time if that's the case. I was using this YouTube video to try to fix it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuK7...ist=WL&index=5One of the comments says that this doesn't work on the driver's side, and I originally thought this side might be the problem because I could open the door and the light would turn off (even while driving). However, the wires were the same color, I didn't lose any functionality that I know of, and the light went off for a week or so. Then I went on vacation and didn't drive it, and the door ajar light came back on.

Sorry for the information overload.
So the video is for a 2000, this is the 09-14 forum. What exactly are you working on, as it's slightly different for each vehicle, and you should be able to find a video or information on your particular truck.

Originally Posted by VintageBikesUSA
Just so you know this was a recall on the extended cab Nissan Titan, its just the fact that the wires get tons of abuse.
The price of milk in China is 2$ a gallon????

Originally Posted by artscott61
Overheard at a glass recycle plant " Last time I saw that door it was a jar"
Sorry sometimes I just can't help myself.
Art, so how many kids do you have...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Left Rear Door Ajar" Please Help!!!