Time for new sticks

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for new sticks

Hey all,

I really don't know where to start. First please read my mods !!!!!

Im at 240k on my stock sticks. Here recently i have noticed that i have to press the skinny pedal a lot more to get it to go especially up hills etc. I also have noticed that my truck seems way louder than it was in the past. Like a bunch of gremlins with ball ping hammers and jars of rocks just making as much noise as they can. Truck runs fairly smooth but is getting rougher as time goes on.

I read that most see about 220k on stk injectors. Im 20k past this point and feel as i might need to replace them.

Im not too familiar with my AE but the little I've messed with it checking for everything to be 100% it seems as its all in check. THis being said it seems as my mileage is dropping also.

I normally run my Dp in STK when towing, DD and hwy. Very seldom do i put it in 80e tow or another tune just for the noise factor. It seems to be really loud when in a tune. Much more inj noise and cackle.

Ive been runnig PS Diesel Kleen grey bottle, 12oz with every fill up roughly 17 to 20 gal along with 8 oz of 2stroke oil every other fill up

Cold starts seem ok and warm seem the same as cold starts.

Im not for sure i need them just thinking its not too far away and want to start getting some opinions and options for new sticks. I know NOTHING about injectors and want to make sure i get the best bang for the buck. I have read about 160/100, 230/100 and hybrids, split shot, single shot, AD, stage ones, this that and the other and have no clue what any of this is. Im a learn as i go kinda guy mainly because my budget dosent allow me to throw $$$$ into my truck unless something is broke or needs attention. I then Learn and purchase LOL.

So heres what i would like to accomplish in getting new sticks.....
1. Something that is quieter than what i got now
2. Maybe a small boost in power. Im normally a dd but once maybe twice a week i haul a 10k skid loader + 2 attachments total weight not including trailer is about 13k.
3. Fuel mileage, something if there is any where i can get better mileage.
4. If you read my mods you know what i got, I don't want to do any upgrades to support the new sticks.

Thats a start, I'm going to be in and out checking back i got a busy week so i will do my best to keep up.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
Im at 240k on my stock sticks.

I normally run my Dp in STK when towing, DD and hwy. Very seldom do i put it in 80e tow or another tune just for the noise factor. It seems to be really loud when in a tune. Much more inj noise and cackle.

I know NOTHING about injectors and want to make sure i get the best bang for the buck. I have read about 160/100, 230/100 and hybrids, split shot, single shot, AD, stage ones, this that and the other and have no clue what any of this is. Im a learn as i go kinda guy mainly because my budget dosent allow me to throw $$$$ into my truck unless something is broke or needs attention.

1. Something that is quieter than what i got now
2. Maybe a small boost in power.
3. Fuel mileage, something if there is any where i can get better mileage.
4. I don't want to do any upgrades to support the new sticks.
240K... you're due.

When I had DP, my cackle was pretty harsh in everything except Stock and Quiet... but I couldn't drive in Quiet tune. Maybe someone else has a different experience.

Single shots boost power, but more air is needed if you want to utilize all of it without coal. There are arguments on both side of the noise factor of single-shots, and I'm still pursuing the quiet that is allegedly there. Sometimes mine are quiet, sometimes not (with no changes other than temperature). Proper atomization help with fuel economy and power... new injectors can improve atomization by default.

The cheapest, quietest, and most reliable option to meet all of the above? Stick with stock (new ones, not rebuilt).

Total value of this input? $0.02

Old 08-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
What Tugly said or, you can buy from your tuner and they usually include the new tunes to run the single shots. In your case I'd go with the 160 single shots standard nozzle. Lots of people love them and there easily replace able if needed.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So ima gonna have to somewhat disagree here.
These injectors DO NOT have a manufacturer stated life expectancy.
Personally.... I feel that recommendations for shiny new injectors as soon as a guy hits 200k are hogwash. The 412k mil3s on my stock injectors are a testament to how long these things can and DO go. If you are still able to turn the key and the motor lights right off... no bellows of smoke... then there is no reason you NEED to spend 1000$+ on new ones... unless you just have to "Upgrade".

Lately... with many new threads started up relating to problems that more than likely would not have shown their faces if people had left their trucks stock... im kinda getting what Cody thinks about aftermarket add on's and power mods.

Check your perdels.
Do a compression test.
Check if any are "no spitters"
Fuel pressure?
How long since you changed fuel filter in the bowl?
Any white/grey smoke under heavy acceleration?
Black/blue smoke?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Christof13T

Lately... with many new threads started up relating to problems that more than likely would not have shown their faces if people had left their trucks stock... im kinda getting what Cody thinks about aftermarket add on's and power mods.
i kinda agree with you.....but i think the problem is people wanting to upgrade their truck half-azzed and going the absolute cheapest route......and half these guys just want to make their truck more powerful and they dont take time to learn about what makes what happen....some of us dont start a thread every time something happens to our rigs......if you dont want to spend the money then leave it alone.....most of these "modded" trucks have at least 15k in them.....and im not talking about cheap or free "mods".....that being said 240k miles is definitely enough on a set of injectors to wear down some parts.....so its possible......

Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
So ima gonna have to somewhat disagree here.
These injectors DO NOT have a manufacturer stated life expectancy.
Personally.... I feel that recommendations for shiny new injectors as soon as a guy hits 200k are hogwash. The 412k mil3s on my stock injectors are a testament to how long these things can and DO go.
My good friend Christof13T, I must ask if you talked to the PO that had the truck at 200K-250K to know for sure they are original sticks.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru

Why would you want a stock truck? They suck to drive.. they suck even more to tow with...

Moderation of course.. but who would stay stock.

To the OP.. install your HPX/FRX. Change your fuel filter. Got an AE? Datalog the HPOP..

Then maybe consider something new.. but cover all your bases. Please don't throw parts at it. That isn't good for you or the companies selling parts.

and if you do decide to do injectors then get Full Force Diesel stage 1's from Riffraff. I'm running 3 sets and they are great.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
There seem to be two schools in the 7.3 forum: power adding, and utmost reliability. I think we can agree that these two don't cross too many paths.

I'd like to believe that the readers of THIS FORUM, SPECIFICALLY, have the ability to tolerate the basic objectives of the others that hang their hats here.

Those of you that have been around here for a long time already know which direction I have taken, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy reading about the adventures of those who have gone the opposite way.

Let's not get into a liquid elimination competition here and upset our camaraderie, 'cause that's where this seems to be going right now.

Pop

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
My good friend Christof13T, I must ask if you talked to the PO that had the truck at 200K-250K to know for sure they are original sticks.
Chuck got the truck in 03 or early 04.
He talked to the original owner... bought it from him directly.
Tranny went out on Chuck around 200k.
No other major work had been done until he lost a cps... replaced it... and you guessed it... cct codes for 1,3&8... so those 3 got swapped ... needlessly in my opinion... what are the chances of those 3 injectors taking a dump directly after a cps swap... ?
The history of my truck is known and has checked out when i dug deep.
The injectors that did get stuffed in there were remans... with the big stamp on them. So who knows how many actual miles are on those particular 3... maybe the 150k or so + 100k, maybe there was already a cool million on them before they got new innards...

But guess what...
They still arent bad...
Just throw some new guts in... and whammo... sell em to the next guy for 200$ a pop.

Im seriously considering investing in a neg air filter so i can turn my bathroom into a "clean enough room". Being a weldomechanichinist has its perks. Injector parts outta be gravy...

Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Fair enough... I was just wondering.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Thanks for all the great input guys. I don't want this to turn into a pissin match but heres the deal.

Rich..... I can't afford more air at the moment and probably won't ever go that route. Although id love to. My Dp from day one in any tune other than stk made the cackle way louder. Contacted Jody and James about it they said it was the increased values sent to the HPOP BLAHA BLAHA BLAHA. Im not a big fan of the noise but power is good and tranny is better. But Ive notice more noise @ idle and driving when in stk now than before. If i go stk inj they WILL be NEW ONES not rebuilt

Christof..... I have done lots of reading and searching on here. This forum has tons of search results for inj topics. The Mods I've done seem more on the longevity durability end and not so much power. I want a little added power as Andrew said these trucks suck to drive more less tow " 20k " with. Not looking for 400 + but something little that will help overall drivability and towing.
As for mileage on inj my buddy has 430k on his stockers from what he has told me. So I'm not agreeing with the 220k replace them saying but I've herd its when you might start seeing problems like lack of power and mileage.

Bill...... Im a firm believer that if your going to do something do it right. As far as adding power etc..... Im not into adding tons of power. WHY ? $$$$$$ Don't have it to support what id like to do right. My mods are cheap longevity and durability mods i feel. Making the truck run better and fixing the small bugs that can or could cause a problem. Im asking what to go with and for advice because I'm learning and want to know what would be best for my situation. NEW stockers and about the same $ as New stage 1s from the little i have researched. I may be wrong on that but from what I've read stage 1s can run off stk HPOP Fuel Pump and turbo. So a little added power with no other mods is the route id like to take if possible. If thats all bull i want to know. Im not just posting because something is wrong and need it fixed and want to add power. Just asking what every one seems would be best for my situation.

POP...... Id be interested to hear the setup your running and or opinions on what you think my options are. I do agree that power adding and reliability clash BIG TIME !!! You cant have big power with out something failing often.

Andrew.... Agreed with everything you have said !!!! " EVERYONE " Oil change every 5k filter in bowl every 5k with oil change. Just installed the baldwin spin on pre pump filter with the hutch mod last dec. Haven't changed it yet.
I do need to install hex and frx for sure had them on the table for almost a year lol.
I do have ae but I'm still figuring it out. Need tugs advice on how to do so. Maybe a conference call between him and i or i will be going back through AE School !!!! But yes i need to do that !

So that was long winded sorry !!!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
What comes stk in our trucks ? Single or Split ?

When Bonanza mentioned above 160 single shot standard nozzle thats german to me !

Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Any white/grey smoke under heavy acceleration?
Black/blue smoke?
On a cold start in the morning 70* IAT i see a bit of blue but nothing bad. On a warm motor at idle if the lighting is right i see a bit of bluish smoke but nothing bad.

STK tune WOT i see a blackish greyish and in say 60 or 80 e WOT i see BLACK but not a huge cloud just a bit on stomping it then it clears out and i see nothing.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Rishsd
Senior User
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
What comes stk in our trucks ? Single or Split ?

When Bonanza mentioned above 160 single shot standard nozzle thats german to me !
Split... 160cc stock nozzle you can change your nozzles to give you more flow ie. 100% over stock. These are stage 1.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
No, spilt short is stock on 99.5 and are 140cc. The single shot is what international puts in there 7.3L trucks and are 160 cc. You will have to have DP retune your chip for the single shot injectors. I say stock nozzle because so many people have custom nozzles like 30 over 100 over etc.. Many of people on here go with the 160 single shot for towing and more power. And if they go out they are easily replaced any where. This engine was made for them before all the smog stuff. And to OP sounds like you mit have a plenum leaking, much harder to find then just a boot. What is your boost? Do you know, and has it gone down when powering up. Also, how old are your tunes, maybe you just need to reflash the chip. And your up pipes, they are sometimes hard to see if leaking.

Quick Reply: Time for new sticks