Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

New gal from Tempe

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 AM
rivenoak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New gal from Tempe

Hi all, I'm a first-time Ford & diesel owner.

Well, not quite an owner yet as the title isn't transferred, but soon-to-be-owner! Hopefully the paperwork arrives late this week or early next week, I can go to the MVD, get it "official," and go start up my new baby.

1990 F350 7.3l 4x4 crew cab, but not a dually. I'll try to post a few pictures later.

It's one-half of a horse-hauling rig. It'll be a change from my 1976 International Loadstar 1600 with a 3-4 horse box on the back.

I'm looking forward to some of the modern conveniences (power windows, more than an AM radio, climate control that works)!

Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WELCOME to the Arizona Chapter.

Be sure & post on the Arizona chat board as much as you want.
It is still hard to beat those IH. Many of us here are old school guys. My wife & I are from old Ranch families in Northern Nevada.
I was a professional Farrier for many years, mostly Rodeo Roping Horses, some Barrel Horses along with Endurance Racing Horses.
Anyway hope to hear more.

Craig

Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 AM
Krisverde
Elder User
i love idi's be on top of that coolant. Also im always down to help working on the idi's

Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM
rivenoak
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krisverde
i love idi's be on top of that coolant. Also im always down to help working on the idi's
Checking the coolant is priority for me, as I'm not sure I am going to get complete records on the truck and want to make sure I take the best care of it. I have some test strips on order.

Anything else I need to check out ASAP?

I know the A/C isn't working, but I don't know why.

(The previous owner, a friend of mine, is deceased, so there's no one to ask some questions)

The truck will mostly live out at the barn as I don't have room at home for it. What is a good minimum driving schedule for it? I will haul the horse out a couple times a month, need to make a feed store run, every 6 weeks or so, but other than that, and am not sure that'll be enough.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Krisverde
Elder User
a/c work is pretty simple on these trucks.

I think these trucks like to have air leaks in the return fuel line. So just keep your eye out for any diesel spots.

I'd run every couple of weeks. Diesel fuel can get algae growth.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:05 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by rivenoak
Checking the coolant is priority for me, as I'm not sure I am going to get complete records on the truck and want to make sure I take the best care of it. I have some test strips on order.

Anything else I need to check out ASAP?

I know the A/C isn't working, but I don't know why.
I believe on the 90 the A/C is an R-12 unit unless someone has converted it. Might check & see if it has been converted. If not you will have to have it converted to R134A. Which requires a system flush removing ALL the oil. Then replacing the oil with a PAG or Ester. Mineral oil in R-12 units will not flow in R-134. Then evacuate & recharge, you will also have to change the charge High & low side fittings along with change the Receiver/Drier because that is the only way to remove the oil from it.
You can get help on this board of if you go the the vehicle specific board there are always people willing to help. Many here are mechanics, parts people, or like myself an old retired mechanic/farriers. & contractor.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 AM
rivenoak
Senior User
Question

Originally Posted by kermmydog
I believe on the 90 the A/C is an R-12 unit unless someone has converted it. Might check & see if it has been converted. ...
You can get help on this board of if you go the the vehicle specific board there are always people willing to help. Many here are mechanics, parts people, or like myself an old retired mechanic/farriers. & contractor.
Here's where my ignorance shows: how will I know if it's an R-12 unit?

And I am grateful in advance for anyone & everyone's help!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 AM
rivenoak
Senior User
Just a few pictures of the truck. Until the title's in my name, I'm not comfortable really climbing around it photographing everything.

Truck Photos by rivenoak | Photobucket

And here's its other half (the color-matched trailer; this truck is someone else's):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Last edited by rivenoak; 08-29-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: tried to be more clear about the trailer
Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by rivenoak
Here's where my ignorance shows: how will I know if it's an R-12 unit?

And I am grateful in advance for anyone & everyone's help!
On R-12 Units the high & low side shrader valves will be screw on, the high side will be smaller than the low side. The low side will be on the Filter drier passenger side a round unit hooked to the evaporator.
On R134 units they used fittings that go on like an air hose to a compressor.
the caps are as a rule Red & Blue. Where the R-12 can be black or silver they will screw off like a tire valve stem cap.
When I say go on I talking about the charging hoses that would be used to evacuate & charge the system.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Sorry I didn't respond earlier I have been off for a while. Welcome to FTE. You don't have a 90 7.3L idi like everybody has been posting judging by your 2nd link. The 1st link is set on private you need to change your photobucket to private for us to see it. Your truck looks like a 99-2001 F250 or F350 XLT super duty 7.3L powerstroke turbo diesel which has more power by far. What Craig (kermmydog) is talking about doesn't apply to you you already have R-134A on it. If it is an auto trans you have 4r100 great trans we have that in our 02 F250 V10 and I love it every bit. The 7.3L powerstrokes keep an eye on coolant like said before and oil also plus the trans. If you go to the super duty part of the forum they will help you a lot more. You are going to need to know your exact year before going there though. The 7.3L powerstroke is a great engine lots of people have or want it. You have a Powerstroke diesel if you don't want lots of parts to rot and such drive it regularly and let it idle a bit but not to much. What Kris says I personally wouldn't recommend on a powerstroke turbo diesel maybe if it was an IDI non turbo but not this one. Climate control was not an option in 99 it didn't come out till 05 unless somebody swapped it in. The ac thing can either be a sensor, need to be recharged (which is most likely) or a leak in the line. Personally turn the ac on if it comes out hot you probably need a charge. If it doesn't blow at all you probably need a new ac blower or sensor (which go bad). Considering the fact you got this for free (minus the lost of a friend) I would say that is a great deal these trucks are hard workers. That load you have won't even hurt your diesel truck it will be begging for more all day. our 02 V10 gasser crew cab 4x4 hauls anything it hooks up to and the 7.3L has supposly even more power. I read your profile it say you have a 88 XLH1200 that is one awesome bike. We have a 73 XLCH1000 with it customized big time.
Trav

Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Krisverde
Elder User
You read the caption of the 2nd link wrong bro LOL. Good info either way.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
Sorry I didn't respond earlier I have been off for a while. Welcome to FTE. You don't have a 90 7.3L idi like everybody has been posting judging by your 2nd link. The 1st link is set on private you need to change your photobucket to private for us to see it. Your truck looks like a 99-2001 F250 or F350 XLT super duty 7.3L powerstroke turbo diesel which has more power by far. What Craig (kermmydog) is talking about doesn't apply to you you already have R-134A on it. If it is an auto trans you have 4r100 great trans we have that in our 02 F250 V10 and I love it every bit. The 7.3L powerstrokes keep an eye on coolant like said before and oil also plus the trans. If you go to the super duty part of the forum they will help you a lot more. You are going to need to know your exact year before going there though. The 7.3L powerstroke is a great engine lots of people have or want it. You have a Powerstroke diesel if you don't want lots of parts to rot and such drive it regularly and let it idle a bit but not to much. What Kris says I personally wouldn't recommend on a powerstroke turbo diesel maybe if it was an IDI non turbo but not this one. Climate control was not an option in 99 it didn't come out till 05 unless somebody swapped it in. The ac thing can either be a sensor, need to be recharged (which is most likely) or a leak in the line. Personally turn the ac on if it comes out hot you probably need a charge. If it doesn't blow at all you probably need a new ac blower or sensor (which go bad). Considering the fact you got this for free (minus the lost of a friend) I would say that is a great deal these trucks are hard workers. That load you have won't even hurt your diesel truck it will be begging for more all day. our 02 V10 gasser crew cab 4x4 hauls anything it hooks up to and the 7.3L has supposly even more power. I read your profile it say you have a 88 XLH1200 that is one awesome bike. We have a 73 XLCH1000 with it customized big time.
Trav
Originally Posted by Krisverde
You read the caption of the 2nd link wrong bro LOL. Good info either way.
All I see in the second link is a horse trailer & back end of a Ford truck. What am I missing here? The first link would not open to anything.
I guess I better go back to bed & try getting up on the other side.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM
rivenoak
Senior User
Real quick cause I am on my phone and dont type well on it.

The green truck hitched to the trailer is someone else's.
The almost-mine truck is definitely a 1990. Just checked the title.

I will double-check the photo links when I get home.

Thanks guys!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Krisverde
Elder User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
All I see in the second link is a horse trailer & back end of a Ford truck. What am I missing here? The first link would not open to anything.
I guess I better go back to bed & try getting up on the other side.
She said the 2nd link is it's other half.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I guess I missed something. But I read it is a 90 Ford & the trailer is hers hooked to someone else s truck. Did I get that right?
I mainly was wondering how Trav got a 99 Ford out of the second link? A picture of the very back of it.

Quick Reply: New gal from Tempe