State Fair GTG in Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
State Fair GTG in Sacramento

Hello all,

It has been suggested by a few members to have a get together at the upcoming State fair in Sacramento. Sounds like an excellent idea to me. I might even have a small travel trailer to take up with me behind the Bronco if I get any kind of decent settlement from my court case. This way I can spend a weekend up there taking everything in, instead of trying to cram it all in one day. The fair is 17 days long, and starts July 12th, and ends July 28th. So we have plenty of dates to choose from. I would think a weekend date would work out best for those who work during the week.

I don't know what my schedule will be like that far in advance, but I would think my weekends would be free. Of course, I would assume during the week would be less crowded, but I don't know how many people can make a trip there during the week. If I am still working the insurance job, it will not be a big deal for me to take a couple of days off during the week as I will be self employed.

So anyway, let's try to agree on a date that we can get the maximum amount of members to attend, and of course, the State fair is a perfect place to bring the family to, so they are more than welcome to join.

Forgot to put the link in. LOL http://www.bigfun.org/

Jim

Last edited by Nighteyez; 03-14-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add link
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Count me in and once a date is set I will book a room.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Sounds good Hank. We have three weekends to work with, 13th/14th, 20th/21st, and the 27th/28th. I have no preference, but was thinking maybe the middle weekend of 20th/21st would be good. Just throwing that date out there to get us started. If anyone can't make it, then maybe one of the other weekends will work.

Jim

Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
hell yea! rosie and i are in! i've yet to check my schedule but given that it runs for about three weeks, we can definitely make it one weekend!
heck, we may even throw the camper on the back and bring the dog!
looking forward to this get together! i'll keep checking back for more details/more info on my end. i can bring a cooler, ice, generator, tents, chairs, cornhole, booze... what else? truck parts and some tools!

i'm stoked!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

According to their site it is $10 for parking, and another $10 for general admission. I am guessing if you want to go on any rides it will be an additional fee. I have no plans to go on rides as my leg makes it difficult to fit into any. So I will just check out the sites, and bring my camera.

As previously stated, I hope to have my settlement by then, so I should have a small trailer to stay overnight in. Either way, I have an ice chest I can bring as well as two small coolers. I don't have a tent anymore, or folding chairs, but I do have a plastic chair I can sit on. They are having an Armed Forces day on the 18th. I would like to be there for that, but I will have to see how things work out. If I do have a trailer, I'll sleep in it the 18th thru the 21st. If not, I'll just skip it, and show up on the 20th.

Jim

Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Jim,
just glancing at the website i didn't see any general info about camping... is it just assumed you can once you pay for a parking spot? i know hank mentioned reserving a room out there. i'll have more details hopefully about my schedule that far out and if not i may just put in for some leave that weekend. once i do that i'll let you guys know for sure what dates i will be out there milling about.
have a good one!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I don't know about camping on the grounds, but I know Walmart will let you sleep overnight in their parking lot, so I will just find a Walmart

Jim

Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
There is a KOA in west sac for about 40 a night with a tent or farther East up hwy 50 is Folsom lake. I spent a few years living between Folsom dam and Nimbus dam, what a good time!! Yes in a house!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

The KOA is just for tents? Or can you take a trailer inside also? I am going to be a trailer toting newbie, so I am not familiar with all the campgrounds yet. I know one thing I am going to buy when I get that trailer though, and that is a Good Sam's Club membership. gotta save $$$ whenever I can. The Walmart parking lot idea won't cost me anything, but I do know I will have to empty the grey/black water from time to time, so a campground stay will be inevitable every so often.

I remember back several years ago when we went to Laughlin NV, we stayed on the Arizona side of the Colorado river, and the Mojave Indians will let you stay there for a day/week/month or year. The year permit was only $90! Of course there are no amenities there, you are just paying for the right to park your trailer, or pitch your tent on their land, still not bad for a year's rent eh? If I lived closer, I would do that now if I could afford to pay the $80 a month for satellite internet. LOL

Jim

Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Sparky2531
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in!! I'll bring the 5th Wheel, "The War Dept.", and the Granddaughter.
The 20th - 21st would be good for us as the 13th is "The War Dept's" Bday, and 14th is the Granddaughter's Bday and I would be in deep doodoo if I planned some truck fun then.
Sounds like a good time.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, we can't have you in deep doodoo, so I guess the 20th/21st will be the date we go with. The is cool that the grand daughter and the "War Dept's" bday are right next to each other.

Jim

Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Then its a date,,20/21

Old 03-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Okay, so now that we nailed down what weekend to attend, we have another issue to resolve. Where do we meet? I have never been there, but it looks like it is a fairly good sized complex. So instead of wandering all over the place looking for each other I think we need to pick out a place for FTE to meet and/or hangout when not enjoying all the fair has to offer. Open to any and all suggestions from people who have been there before, or if nobody has been, maybe throw something out and we can all agree on it.

Jim

Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Must be too early yet. I checked their website, for the daily activities on the 20/21st and nothing is listed. Checked the theme link, and they have not yet decided on a theme. Also checked the hotel accommodations in the area (also on their site) and can see that it would definitely be cheaper for me to take a trailer, and sleep at the KOA. LOL.

Jim

Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Beer Garden at noon!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: State Fair GTG in Sacramento