351m / 400 transmission & TC options in early bronco

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 AM
landshark99
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thats what i was thinking.. we will see when it comes in as its a dual friction but not a Centerforce.. don't remember the actual brand as i ordered it from a local race shop.. Mc something..

Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 PM
landshark99
Junior User
Slowly but surely....

got the flywheel chamfered today to match the spacer so they sit flush and after work I installed the flywheel and spacer with the special flywheel bolts I picked up...

still pretty clean back here...

metal plate thingy installed had to grind a little off by the frame, probably have to do the same to the bellhousing on the zf.. we will see....

spacer on the crank...

and the flywheel torqued and installed

thats about as far as I got tonight, tomorrow I need to unscrew the stud from the exhaust manifold and then probably try to stab the zf in there to see what happens and take the grinder to the bits I need to relieve on the bellhousing.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looking good! Sure looks familiar. But, did you move the ring gear forward on the flywheel? I moved mine right to the front dredge of the flywheel to get as much starter engagement as possible.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:58 PM
landshark99
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Looking good! Sure looks familiar. But, did you move the ring gear forward on the flywheel? I moved mine right to the front dredge of the flywheel to get as much starter engagement as possible.
Hmmm no i didn't, should I? I had to look up what you were talking about..

I'm going out there in an hour or so to put the clutch in and get the trans mounted up so I guess if I was going to do it I have to now.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I wanted every little bit of engagement I could get, so heated the ring gear a bit and tapped it forward. Was very easy. Surprisingly easy. But, I don't know that it is necessary. Just gets you that much more engagement.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:13 PM
landshark99
Junior User
I wanted every little bit of engagement I could get, so heated the ring gear a bit and tapped it forward. Was very easy. Surprisingly easy. But, I don't know that it is necessary. Just gets you that much more engagement.
OK i have help coming over.. i might just do that.

Does the 351w Auto starter require any modifications? I was re-reading your thread and you had a spacer in there? or did you remove the metal spacer that goes around the starter hole?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I removed the spacer. And then discovered that it is also the flywheel shield/guard. So I cut it such that it isn't between the block and the tranny. But it bolts up and guards the flywheel.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 PM
landshark99
Junior User
Ah so you cut the bottom half off the metal spacer to fill that void... got it.. crap thats what i should have done... we wrestled with that thing trying to get things aligned. Maybe i will just cut that sucker off as I have to pull the tranny back out to try and realign the clutch plate. The clutch didn't come with an alignment tool and I will guess a 1 1/4 alignment tool isn't too common. We just couldn't get the zf all the way in right now.

The good news is, its fits.. barely.. man its tight but its going to work out. I will pull the ZF back out tomorrow and clean up the underside of the floor, clear the starter area for the manifold and anything else i can do before I try again.

After that I will need to fab up a cross member so, time for a ride to the metal yard to go through their scrap

Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 AM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Do you know your flywheel run-out, landshark99?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Glad it fits. You are closing in. And, Ken is suggesting a step I should have mentioned. (And, btw, he's the one that came up with the process to make the spacer.). You should check the runout on your flywheel. I think factory is something like .010" IIRC, and mine was .004".

Old 01-18-2014, 11:02 AM
landshark99
Junior User
Glad it fits. You are closing in. And, Ken is suggesting a step I should have mentioned. (And, btw, he's the one that came up with the process to make the spacer.). You should check the runout on your flywheel. I think factory is something like .010" IIRC, and mine was .004".
I have not but I will this morning.

Actually I should have looked up the flywheel install procedure before.. so no worries

Old 01-18-2014, 01:30 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wyoming checkin in, cool build!

Eating popcorn and reading, to be continued! will be checking in. Nice bronco!! gonna be a stump puller for sure!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM
landshark99
Junior User
so not too much done today, more running around picking up a few things i needed.

Found a clutch centering tool thought it would be good to have as I was having quite a bit trouble centering the zf, but turns out it was probably not the case.

Pulled everything apart again, measured the run out and was no more than .055 so it looks good.

I wrestled with the zf for a while and realized the throwout bearing center housing was hitting the fingers on the centerforce clutch.

Tomorrow I will take the clutch off once again and grind the fingers down 1/8th of an inch and try again. You can see where the fingers are hitting in the pics.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Is that the Dodge bearing?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:45 PM
landshark99
Junior User
Is that the Dodge bearing?
yes its is.. iam wondering if i should just put in a stock zf bearing. However right now thats not the problem.

Are you thinking that dodge bearing may not work? is there a way to check? Would rather make sure the throwout bearing works before i get this thing together..

Quick Reply: 351m / 400 transmission & TC options in early bronco