1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 no title what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM
ford_truckjpm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 no title what to do?

ok i finally found my dream truck for a reasonable price and in decent conditon. problem is no title. can somebody send me in the rite direction on geting one. thanks in advance

Last edited by Fomoko1; 07-29-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Buying, selling or swapping titles is illegal!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Where are you located? A bonded title just might be the answer, I know that here in AZ it is very easy to get one.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the madness, er, I mean forum. Check the laws of the state where you are needing the title. There are lots of threads on here about folks trying to obtain titles. And good luck.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I agree with raytasch, find out what legal options you have.

Call the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles: 225.925.6146
Ask them if you have any legal options to obtain a title.

If this one doesn't work out, keep looking.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 PM
ford_truckjpm
New User
Thats what my dad said, i found a 57 super cheap cause its super rusted, but does have a title, thought about buyin it an using that title for now, geuss i got alot of long days tryin to figure this out, i just hate to get in it to far without it been officially mine

Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ford_truckjpm
Thats what my dad said, i found a 57 super cheap cause its super rusted, but does have a title, thought about buyin it an using that title for now, geuss i got alot of long days tryin to figure this out, i just hate to get in it to far without it been officially mine
We have all heard some real horror stories regarding a title. The BEST advice is to NOT spend another penny, or do any more work until you have a title in your name, in your hand. BTW, I doubt you could fool many folks that a 55 is rfeally a 57.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:47 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Fly a skull and cross bone like I do. Now this dump Mass. to renew my license
to have a health card that means go to some quack and get stabbed with an ice pick I dont think so and who pays for that, Ya know what "catch me if you can"
If I had the money Id move out of this tolet

Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would advice you not to use the wrong title, that can have a way of coming back to bite you . One accident , even not your fault and some body gets killed or hurt badly and the family will be meeting you in court. Do as others have said , check with the D.M.V. In my state i was able to get a title for a 1935 car . The state issued me a title with a I.D number and a control number on it . All i had to do was show a dated bill of sale on it and any parts i bought for it . Show proof of any sales tax i paid on parts. Any parts i never paid tax on was paid later when i paid for the title. Not all states will be that easy but some are less work.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:34 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM
ford_truckjpm
New User
thanks for all the replies, i am goin to get on the phone today and hope i can find out something

Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Is there a data plate on the glove box door?
Are there license plates on the truck?
IF the answer to either of these questions is YES, then go to the DMV (or a local law enforcement officer) and have them check to see WHO the registered owner is for that truck. If it has been sitting for some time (7 years here in CA) then it is possible that the records have been purged from the system. If the DMV has no record of the vehicle in their system then you should be able to have the person that you bought the truck from fill out a Bill of Sale form that the DMV will use to generate a new title for you in your name. This could be easy or it could be hard, it all depends on how Iowa runs its DMV. In any case, go to Registering a Motor Vehicle in Iowa - Motor Vehicle Division - Iowa DOT and learn a little more about your DMV and you will be better prepared to tackle this issue. Whatever you do don't try to use a 57 title on a 55...you are only asking for trouble down the road.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option (depending on how far you plan on tearing it down)... get a frame with a good title and data plates where everything matches - i.e. a scrapper, like a junk yard unit where the yard keeps the titles not just all "salvage titles".

Title goes with the frame technically in almost all states... take everything from the good truck you have no title for and put it on the frame you have a title for. While the cab has a data plate on it, the cab is technically considered a part - replaceable (move the data plates).

That's a lot of work, but if you are planning on tearing down to frame anyhow...

And until it is done and you have it all together, someone could possibly come in and lay claim to the vehicle making your life hell - possibly you could loose out on the entire vehicle.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM
brain75
Elder User
I'm going to advise AGAINST going through the process of trying to title it yourself... I think there are a couple others here saying this but not so clearly:

Offer the seller an additional $100 or something if they will do all the title work to make it legal and fully titled. Make the seller do all the work, anything else puts you way way to far out there for risk.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
my 53 is a case of one good truck with no title and a pos with a title , and thusly the two merged and became one . it is liscenced and titled as a 54 but it is a 53 ............. and some of us have historical documents we tend too hang onto in case no other alternative is left . it was common practice back in the day here in illinois to take one truck and use it for parts fodder for another and use one or the others title to make it legal , and noone got any crap from it then till now ........ but things are a changing and big brother is definitely got his nose further up our ***** than he needs to be nowadays .......................

Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM
HDWrecker
Freshman User
In 1989, I purchased my ’55 Ford wrecker from a dealership, who bought the truck new, and never titled the truck - always ran it with dealer tags. I contacted the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), and they suggested that I contact Ford Motor Company, to obtain a duplicate certificate of origin from when the truck was built. I wrote a letter to the Fo Mo Co, I explained my situation thoroughly and asked for a certificate of origin, or any official document which would allow me to secure a title for this vehicle. I also included a little "brown nosing" in the letter, as I stated that I would never drive anything other than a Ford. The Fo Mo Co, sent me a certified letter, as well as taking the liberty of sending a certified copy of the same letter to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration. The letter stated that all records pertaining to that truck were no longer in existence, and they officially made a request for the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration to issue me a MD title for my truck. Two weeks later I had a title in my hand, along with metal plates. I was truly amazed that such a large corporation as Ford, would take the time to help me obtain a title for my old truck. Great Company!

Maybe the Ford Motor Co. Public Relations Department can be a resource in your case.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 55 no title what to do?