1951 F1 Tear Down & Restore. - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 Tear Down & Restore.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 PM
fbb1951
Brent
fbb1951 has a very good reputation on FTE.fbb1951 has a very good reputation on FTE.fbb1951 has a very good reputation on FTE.fbb1951 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ZOOT View Post
I second that emotion. Disc conversion OK for safety, but a Ch**y in that beauty is just wrong. What engine is in it now?
The 239 V8 Flathead is out while I strip and paint the frame. I want to do a Toyota power steering conversion on the straight axle, but the V8 has 100HP and not any horses to spare for PS. It steers like a tank and I think it would benefit from the PS. Hence the desire for more HP.

I made a deal on a Ford 9 inch 3.50 rear axle. It's from a 1971 F100. The seller say's its got the large ends with 31 spline. Skeptical, but we'll see. $175.00

Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
These trucks really aren't hard to steer if the front end is in good shape, even with relatively large tires. If your kingpins and rod ends are in bad shape, or need lubing, they can be pretty tough. If you really need PS, flatheads have no problem spinning a PS pump.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Cat906
Senior User
Cat906 has a good reputation on FTE.Cat906 has a good reputation on FTE.
I second that emotion. Disc conversion OK for safety, but a Ch**y in that beauty is just wrong.
Here, here!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 PM
fbb1951
Brent
fbb1951 has a very good reputation on FTE.fbb1951 has a very good reputation on FTE.fbb1951 has a very good reputation on FTE.fbb1951 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Are you against anything other than the 239 V8 Flathead original, or just the use of a Chevy? What about a 302 or 351?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM
blue49f1
New User
blue49f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
WOW!! That is a solid looking old gal, I wish mine was that nice. I enjoyed the pics. looking forward to following your build.

blue49f1

Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by fbb1951 View Post
Are you against anything other than the 239 V8 Flathead original, or just the use of a Chevy? What about a 302 or 351?
A truck like yours that has survived as long as yours in such good original shape is increasingly rare. It depends what you want the truck to do. They are very enjoyable as-made but not ideal for cross-country trips.

Nothing "wrong" with an SBC, or a SBF, but it is a slippery slope, next thing you know you'll be $20k down the road and 2 years gone without driving it yet.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 PM
brain75
Elder User
brain75 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd just about bet that is a 28 spline - reason I say that, sure 31 spline existed in '71 but only on cougar's and stangs and such... trucks didn't get 31 spline until 1973 as best as I can find.

when you get the tag, look it up in this reference or fordification.com

http://www.brainsbivouac.com/cars/19...20Database.xls

If it will sway you at all, I too vote for you to please keep it as original as possible. I won't argue anyone needs to have an undriveable museum piece (I swapped rear ends and trans), but the few solid trucks like ours should be kept clean in my opinion.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM
brain75
Elder User
brain75 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd also say unless that has new shoes or anything (nodular, 9 3/8, etc) that's kinda overpriced... I picked up (and could have picked up a half dozen 70-72 9" ) for "$89 plus core, tax, enviromental fee, etc" - total was about $145 and I put together the best shoes, best hubs, etc - basically I took 3 donors trucks and assembled a dang good axle hauled it out "complete beam" as the junkyard calls it.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
topmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputation
I second that emotion. Disc conversion OK for safety, but a Ch**y in that beauty is just wrong. What engine is in it now?
If you have a perfectly good Che#y, why not? It is your truck and there is nothing wrong with a good running motor that you already own. There are lots of parts like motor mounts for SBC in it. Mine came with a SBC by the previous owner so it is still there. I would suggest that you keep the old flathead in storage in case you ever want to sell the truck in case someone wants to take it back to original, but for a good driver a modern engine with a good braking system and good suspension I think you should do the SBC. Just my personal opinion. BTW, nice lift and shop!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Mols51
New User
Mols51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 1951 f1 ground up need some info on tilt nose

Can any one who has done one email me at [email protected] and send some info it seems that Julie has done this I want to stay all steel also could use some tips on fatman mustang front end
Thanks
Mike

Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by topmoo View Post
... I would suggest that you keep the old flathead in storage in case you ever want to sell the truck in case someone wants to take it back to original,...
That's the thing, to put in a SBC and matching trans, the trans crossmember has to go. There's no going back. Personally, I think the SBC is a marginally better fit than the Windsor engines. The 700R4 is an excellent trans, AOD's not so much. What can you say?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
topmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputationtopmoo has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
That's the thing, to put in a SBC and matching trans, the trans crossmember has to go. There's no going back. Personally, I think the SBC is a marginally better fit than the Windsor engines. The 700R4 is an excellent trans, AOD's not so much. What can you say?
True, it would be almost impossible to take out the trans cross and then put it back. I suppose one could remove all the rivets and then bolt it back in, but it would never really be the same. Then the brake MC and pedal would have to either move to the firewall or an entire new bracket made. Of course it would all have to be done for a SBF too. Having the motor already would be a big incentive to use it, but the TH350 would mean that one would really want to change out the rear to a highway friendly geared one.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Most here bleed blue, but put in that SBC if you'd like, they'll get over it. My truck wears a bow tie, and I haven't been banished (yet). I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about the crossmember, I have a T-56 (5th and 6th OD) 6 speed with a 3.70 9" rear. Best of all worlds.
Brain, I don't know where you are getting narrow 9" rear ends for <100.00, but you should go into business reselling them. In most areas they go for 3-500.00 depending on condition, gear ratio, limited slip, nodular pumpkin, etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 AM
fbb1951
Brent
If I go with the 9 inch Ford rear end, will the emergency brake cables from the stock Dana 44 fit into the 9 inch? The 9 inch I am looking at has had the ebrake cables cut off. How available are new cables from the auto parts store? How much do they cost?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 PM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by fbb1951 View Post
If I go with the 9 inch Ford rear end, will the emergency brake cables from the stock Dana 44 fit into the 9 inch? The 9 inch I am looking at has had the ebrake cables cut off. How available are new cables from the auto parts store? How much do they cost?
Regarding reusing the original F-1 cables: in a word, yes. That is what I did on my 49.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1951 F1 Tear Down & Restore.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.