6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Glad I bought the 6.2 - 1600 mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM
dthomas24
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I bought the 6.2 - 1600 mile trip

Don't want to start anything here, but my family and I just returned from a trip from southern Indiana to Pensacola Florida. 700 down 700 back and a couple of hundred in and around. Great time was had by all.

The real reason for the post was to let you all know the 2012 F250 6.2L performed outstandingly, with passing power, plenty of passenger room and cargo space. Used cruise some and sometimes not. Averaged 15.1 down and 14.9 on the way back. It is really nice to have the peace of mind. I now have a clean and wax along with oil change due.

I debated the 6.7 and looked around for used diesels but ended up going gasser. What I am about to write is only an observation and I know has many variables. But since I consistently read this 6.2 Forum, the Super Duty Forum and the 6.7 Forum and when I had my 5.4s and my Ecoboost I read most of the F150 forums - one could say I am a truck addict.

For this reason I noticed something along the trip on the way down and back. I could not help but take inventory of vehicles along side the road. Ford Super Duties were the only ones counted as far as my unscientific observation. Other Brands were pulled over but I just ignored them. All without reservation were Diesels. I do not know if they were pulled over for breakdowns, rests, or just checking the map. But I did find it interesting that every single Super Duty pulled over seemingly not running or the hoods up on some were Turbo Diesels, I made my two grandsons help me keep tally. Is there really that many spontaneous issues with the 6.0s, 6.4s, 6.7s? perhaps it is just the shear volume of diesels vs gassers on the road. We looked for the big badge on the side or the Powerstroke emblem along the bottom panel. You can tell by a fairly quick glance normally. Probably just so many more of them on the road I guess.

Again I know that there is very little basis for my observations but thought I would share one little thought that makes me glad I got the 6.2 for now anyway.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the gassers. My HD truck is a V-10 Dodge with a 5 speed. Unless your pulling heavy loads all the time diesels don't pay for themselves in savings. Since the 7.3 Power Stroke Ford diesels are questionable in my opinion.
Craig

Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is likely that there are just more SuperDuty diesels than gassers on the road. I actually 'double take' anytime I see a gasser on the road around my neck of the woods, because they are rare. All my local dealers constantly have $12K off MSRP for the 6.7 models, and you can not find a gasser on the lot within 200 miles...unless its a bare-to-the-bones fleet model.

BTW, the easiest way to determine if the SuperDuty is a diesel (6.0, 6.4, or 6.7) is just look at the tailpipe. Every one of those diesels have the double tipped exhaust pipes, and the gasser doesn't. I always found it hard to locate the diesel badge on the 6.0 and 6.4, so I just look for the exhaust instead.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 AM
mlux2008
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dthomas24
Don't want to start anything here, but my family and I just returned from a trip from southern Indiana to Pensacola Florida. 700 down 700 back and a couple of hundred in and around. Great time was had by all.

The real reason for the post was to let you all know the 2012 F250 6.2L performed outstandingly, with passing power, plenty of passenger room and cargo space. Used cruise some and sometimes not. Averaged 15.1 down and 14.9 on the way back. It is really nice to have the peace of mind. I now have a clean and wax along with oil change due.

I debated the 6.7 and looked around for used diesels but ended up going gasser. What I am about to write is only an observation and I know has many variables. But since I consistently read this 6.2 Forum, the Super Duty Forum and the 6.7 Forum and when I had my 5.4s and my Ecoboost I read most of the F150 forums - one could say I am a truck addict.

For this reason I noticed something along the trip on the way down and back. I could not help but take inventory of vehicles along side the road. Ford Super Duties were the only ones counted as far as my unscientific observation. Other Brands were pulled over but I just ignored them. All without reservation were Diesels. I do not know if they were pulled over for breakdowns, rests, or just checking the map. But I did find it interesting that every single Super Duty pulled over seemingly not running or the hoods up on some were Turbo Diesels, I made my two grandsons help me keep tally. Is there really that many spontaneous issues with the 6.0s, 6.4s, 6.7s? perhaps it is just the shear volume of diesels vs gassers on the road. We looked for the big badge on the side or the Powerstroke emblem along the bottom panel. You can tell by a fairly quick glance normally. Probably just so many more of them on the road I guess.

Again I know that there is very little basis for my observations but thought I would share one little thought that makes me glad I got the 6.2 for now anyway.

I understand you are not trying to start a battle between gas and diesel. I have a couple observations that might help with your theory. The super duty is still a top selling truck, so obviously you will have more on the road. I'm making the assumption that every truck you passed, you didn't stop and ask what is wrong to see specifically. Bc some issues are of no affect to the manufacturer. Could be a tire blow out, poor maintenance, ect.

I own a diesel. The mighty (cough) 6.0 powerstroke diesel. I'm not here to toot my own horn by any means. The 6.0 and other diesels CAN be very reliable. The problem is un or under educated owners who don't take the proper time/money to take care of there vehicles. .. There are a couple pit-falls to the 6.0, but it is not as major as most people think.

I do however LOVE the new 6.2 to be honest, that will replace my dually. I want a platinum dually with the 6.2.. Best of every freaking world ...

With ALL diesels, it is important to maintain them. The sang "you take care of it, it will take care of you".. The 6.0's are a little more **** about it, so thats why you hear so much. Glad your truck is doing so well. Hopefully that helps clear it up some.

The following users liked this post: