1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1700 mi road trip/psd was awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1700 mi road trip/psd was awesome!

Well, road trip is over. Ran a total of 1785+ mi, LI NY to Lexington Ky. My '97 PSD w/269,000 mi @ start did not even hiccup! I was really nervous about it but man, these PSD's are awesome. Got great milage too. Only got 14.5 gettin' out of town, but on the interstate got as high as 21 through PA and Maryland. Still got 18 in the mtns of West Virginia. Still something strange though. i posted last week about having down shifting issues and poor throttle response. Still so, but..... it responded real well to cruise control input???? down shifted when needed and accelerated great. Could my gas (diesel) pedal be the problem?
Thanks Vinny

Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWEET!!! The ol' 7.3 never gives up!!! Glad to hear your trip went well!!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Splatts
SWEET!!! The ol' 7.3 never gives up!!! Glad to hear your trip went well!!
Thanks man, yeah was great. I don't know if I want to say old, Can't insult her anymore, especially after it ran like that. Maybe west coast trip next year. Uh........ can I use your driveway to do an oil change for the return trip?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
7.3's are always welcome in my driveway. Hell, even the front yard

Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Ok then. I'll bring 4 extra gallons and do your's too.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Perfect!! Speaking of oil changes, I'm due. Looks like I know what I'm doin this evening

Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Thats awesome man! I dont use my truck for DD. Its either a weekend warrior for workin or for long hauls! Sadly I only saw 18.7 one time before I put the 35" tires on it.

lol If you need a halfway mark stop out in IL!
We can fillup the back field!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad your trip went well! I wouldn't think twice about going anywhere in my PSD (357K and counting) Makes me want to go road tripping! haha.

As for your throttle question, I don't know, but I'm sure someone here will chime in.

I do know that there is a position switch right on the pedal, I'm sure there may be a way to test it, but I have no clue what the specs would/should be. It would be a place to start though.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Thats awesome man! I dont use my truck for DD. Its either a weekend warrior for workin or for long hauls! Sadly I only saw 18.7 one time before I put the 35" tires on it.

lol If you need a halfway mark stop out in IL!
We can fillup the back field!
Yeah! why not. I love the midwest. As far as MPG goes..... I was pleasantly surprised but didn't buy a full size PU for economical reasons. You got 35's, I've got 305's on mine. Think they're the same diameter. 18.5 is great, I think using the cruise helped alot, kept it at 69 mph. How many mi's on your's?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Glad your trip went well! I wouldn't think twice about going anywhere in my PSD (357K and counting) Makes me want to go road tripping! haha.

As for your throttle question, I don't know, but I'm sure someone here will chime in.

I do know that there is a position switch right on the pedal, I'm sure there may be a way to test it, but I have no clue what the specs would/should be. It would be a place to start though.
Thanks Matador, gotta check that out. The difference in response/performance was ridiculous. I was just trying to tap the buttons and stay off the gas as much as possible. Have you done anything major to keep her running so long?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Buck Dharma Fan
Thanks Matador, gotta check that out. The difference in response/performance was ridiculous. I was just trying to tap the buttons and stay off the gas as much as possible. Have you done anything major to keep her running so long?
No I havent, I only got the truck about a month ago, but the PO was incredibly meticulous, and he had a whole folder full of recpits/service records. I was quite impressed. He told me he had alot of people call about it but when they found out the mileage they usually turned away. Not me though, doesn't scare me one bit. (Well no more than any of my 30+ year old cars anyways, lol) With what I know/have learned and this website I should be able to keep her going for a long long time!

I am curious though, I would think there would have had to have been some work done along the way (trans, injectors, turbo, etc.) but I only have records going back to 291k/3years so its hard to say I guess.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
also you could take an ohm meter to that pedal and check the resistance, just experiment, but there should be a way you can check the resistance and then operate the pedal to see if it increases smoothly. I would say if its choppy or all over the place then you have a bad pedal sensor. Just my thoughts while I was sitting here thinking on it.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
also you could take an ohm meter to that pedal and check the resistance, just experiment, but there should be a way you can check the resistance and then operate the pedal to see if it increases smoothly. I would say if its choppy or all over the place then you have a bad pedal sensor. Just my thoughts while I was sitting here thinking on it.
Good Idea, i may just replace the pedal sensor anyway. I'll need the pedal tonight though, gonna go run 'er on the beach. Cruise control ain't good for off roading

Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
No I havent, I only got the truck about a month ago, but the PO was incredibly meticulous, and he had a whole folder full of recpits/service records. I was quite impressed. He told me he had alot of people call about it but when they found out the mileage they usually turned away. Not me though, doesn't scare me one bit. (Well no more than any of my 30+ year old cars anyways, lol) With what I know/have learned and this website I should be able to keep her going for a long long time!

I am curious though, I would think there would have had to have been some work done along the way (trans, injectors, turbo, etc.) but I only have records going back to 291k/3years so its hard to say I guess.
Yeah thats great that the PO was a good one. I see the PO of mine routinely at the stable where my daughter rides and he was good to it. Problem is..... what happened before that? I'm convinced I got a good one now, after that trip. Good luck with your's man. Vinny