Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

R134a, how much oil in comp

Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
R134a, how much oil in comp

Okay guys, when I bought my van (E250 ClubWagon) the AC didn't work. The seller said it needed a new compressor. He had already pulled the old compressor and included the new compressor and dryer in the deal. I am now in the process of installing everything. I am leaving it unhooked and taking it to have it flushed, vacced and charged. I am going to use the variable orifice tube, but I need to know how much PAG oil to put in the compressor? Since I didn't remove the old compressor I have no way of measuring what was in it before. Thanks

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Lots of things here. Are you having it rebuilt? A good shop should pre-fill it for you with PAG, but a cheapo shop won't. If you bought new, make sure to check if they filled it with PAG or just some oil for packaging. I bought new, but it was a cheap brand so the oil had to be drained because it wasn't PAG. The ford service manual had some contradictory information about filling this with oil, and it pertained to R12 since it was pre-134a era.

Here is the documentation for the oil capacity in the FS-6 compressor section:

and...

and.... from the install section:

But in the "Air Conditioning Section" it says this:

and...

So, it's kind of confusing with all the mixed data. I think averaged the numbers and my system has worked ok.

I thought our vans had "fixed" orifice tubes? Mine was a pain to get out, and I had to fabricate a special needle nose from a small pliars and my bench grinder. It projected from a tube in the fire wall, near the inputs of the heater core.

Did you check to make sure the clutch was working? Your pump may be fine, but the clutch won't engage.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well your at it change the condensor to a parelle flow the old R-12 condensor will not work very well,You need the correct oil to mix with what might be left in the system too I am no A/C pro just did my first one last week and its kickin the cold out,I was told 7oz compressor 2oz condenser 2oz drier 1oz expansion valve no more then 12 total...Found the same info doing internet searches too.

Just be sure you know how much your compressor has when you buy one or if the one you have is new,And it will say to use easter oil,Its a big investment to try a used compressor!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
It is a new compressor and dryer. The compressor was shipped with a type of packing oil so I drained it and will be putting in the oil specifically for 134a. I am installing the compressor and dryer, but am not hooking up the lines to either. I am then taking it to a shop to have the system flushed, closed, vacced and charged. They will also also be changing the orifice tube since it it required to do the flush. From my reading I found that for 134a they recommend the red tube, or people have had good luck with the variable tube since it will adjust.

Thanks for all the info.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
myoldvan
Junior User
The FS6 compressor that I just bought (new) came with no oil in it. The directions said to put 2-3 oz in the compressor. I did this, but plan to put more in the compressor directly before adding to other components as all the other information I am reading is indicating about 6oz goes in the compressor (I am starting from scratch with all new components).

Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
recommend the red tube,
I remember i ordered and installed an orange orifice tube, as stated in the ford manual and on various websites. Worked ok for me for almost 20,000 miles so far.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM
airdale94
Tuned
I would call the shop and ask them. If they're going to flush the system there might not be any point in putting any in it. Depends I guess on how they're going to flush it.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 PM
myoldvan
Junior User
van guys - does your suction line make a 180 bend out of your evaporator going to the compressor? I'm trying to get some lines made for my system and having a heck of a time figuring out the best routing.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
I would call the shop and ask them. If they're going to flush the system there might not be any point in putting any in it. Depends I guess on how they're going to flush it.

Good point. In fact, if you are going to buy the dryer and compressor just to hand it off to the mechanic, why not just do the flush and part replacement yourself. I did it myself and took it to the shop to do the vacuum, and if it held vacuum then do the recharge. Installing the orifice tube, pump, and dryer is pretty easy.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
van guys - does your suction line make a 180 bend out of your evaporator going to the compressor? I'm trying to get some lines made for my system and having a heck of a time figuring out the best routing.
Do these images help?

and...

Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Rear Unit

Just in case you have a rear AC unit like my van, here's the diagram for that system:

Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
And i found the plan view of the front and rear unit AC system for the 7.3:

Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 AM
myoldvan
Junior User
Thanks for posting those up! Unfortunately, my '84 has a different heater/evaporator box and the lines come out a bit different. I'm also set up with an expansion valve system, so the components are different too. I just hope I can make it work once I finally get it put together!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:43 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by genscripter
Good point. In fact, if you are going to buy the dryer and compressor just to hand it off to the mechanic, why not just do the flush and part replacement yourself. I did it myself and took it to the shop to do the vacuum, and if it held vacuum then do the recharge. Installing the orifice tube, pump, and dryer is pretty easy.
I guess my first post wasn't clear. This is what I am doing minus the system flush. I am installing all the new components (which were included in my vehicle purchase deal), then I am taking it to the shop for the flush/vac and charge. I have the pump in and I will be installing the dryer this week. I don't have the equipment to do the flush so the shop is doing it. To do the flush correctly they will pull the old orifice tube, do the flush and then put in the variable one I am providing. Then attach the lines to the compressor and dryer that I already installed. Vac the system and charge it.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is awseome info, I've been trying to figure out if our generation vans had a rear evaporator or not, I coulda swore I saw the lines underneath the van but havent found any info, til today!

Thank you sir

BTW, where the heck is the low side schrader valve? I found a sticker stating mine has already been converted to 134a and I want to try a recharge, but I cant find the dang low side valve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R134a, how much oil in comp