1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.7 Powerstroke vs. 6.2 BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.7 Powerstroke vs. 6.2 BOSS

Currently I own an '02 F250 (details in sig) and I've racked up 275k on her. She has done me well since we ordered her new but sooner or later its going to be time for a change. In all honestly i'm a diesel guy having experience with all powerstrokes (including the 6.7) but I have a huge amount of respect for my v10 because she has done me well over the years, and I have definitely gotten every penny out of her. When I decide to move up to another truck its going to boil down to the engine choice. Powerstroke or 6.2. Im leaned toward the diesel because of how far they have came in the past decade, and how quiet and refined (might I add powerful) they are. The one thing about the powerstroke is its extra 8k price tag, and 8k will buy me a new rims/tires, leveling/lift kit, a 5 star tune, and A LOT of gas for the 6.2. However I'm just done with getting 12-13 mpg all the time, I hate it. There is nothing more irritating than having to pull in for fuel every 300/350 miles. I want good fuel economy while I am towing and unloaded in my next truck, but I want to hear from you guys out there with the 6.7 and 6.2. How its like in the real world, tell me about your setup you have and what kind of mileage and performance you are seeing. I have seen the 6.7 towing and it is an animal, and the 6.2 also puts down some impressive numbers and will pull anything you hook up to it with the correct gearing. This WILL NOT be a thread where we are bashing one another, just tell me the pros and cons about your engines and your experiences with them.

By the way, I work my trucks HARD, and it will be my daily driver. I have a utility tailer for my bikes and quads, a 5 yard hydraulic dump, a 5 ton flatbed for my front loaders and skid steers, 10k construction/cement trailer loaded with tools, 26' car hauler, and a 14k 5er. I'd these days about 40% of my driving is with a trailer behind me. A while back sometimes a trailer wouldnt come off my truck for 2 weeks and I would be commuting to job sites daily.

Keep calm, and truck on!

-Jared

Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If I was specifying a truck for the use you describe...and it had to be a pickup, then I'd opt for the diesel engine. While I have a very high opinion of the 6.2 gasoline engine...I don't think it's meant to replace the V10 for extremely heavy towing duty like you describe.

I will be interested in the comments from any owners who might be using the 6.2 liter engine to tow the type of trailers that you listed in your post.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:05 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
If I was specifying a truck for the use you describe...and it had to be a pickup, then I'd opt for the diesel engine. While I have a very high opinion of the 6.2 gasoline engine...I don't think it's meant to replace the V10 for extremely heavy towing duty like you describe.

I will be interested in the comments from any owners who might be using the 6.2 liter engine to tow the type of trailers that you listed in your post.
I know that the diesel would be probably best suited for me, but I also have a very high opinion of the 6.2 as well. Its extremely powerful for its somewhat smaller displacement as a gas v8 in the pickup market. I would just like to hear how the owners like their trucks and their opinions on not just the engine, the power-train as a whole. Its not just the engine that makes a truck, its the whole package..

Old 07-19-2013, 04:31 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I hope you're gonna wait until you get to the end of that list of "future mods", before you retire the ole gal.

If you've been happy towing with the V10, I think you'll be very happy with the 6.2 and 6 speed trans. I'm thinking maybe gas next time too, for the same financial reasons, but I think I'm going to have a hard time without the diesel torque. Not yet sure I could do it.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
I hope you're gonna wait until you get to the end of that list of "future mods", before you retire the ole gal.

If you've been happy towing with the V10, I think you'll be very happy with the 6.2 and 6 speed trans. I'm thinking maybe gas next time too, for the same financial reasons, but I think I'm going to have a hard time without the diesel torque. Not yet sure I could do it.
She will be retired at the end of that list for sure! I'm hoping to get another 50-60k out of her, maybe a little more. I think I would be happy with the 6.2, but I'm also thinking long term. The next truck I buy I will most likely have for another 10 years (like the one I have now), so I want to make sure that I will be happy with it. The first few times I started driving diesels, I caught the addiction like most of the guys here on the forum. I would like to be able to spend $600 and get a ton of extra power, and the economy on top of it. Like I said the 13 mpg has got annoying over the past 10 years, lol. Also because I own lots of heavy trailers, I don't want the engine to be screaming because I know that 6.2 revs pretty high. Even with my v10 I have plenty of pulling power between 1000-3300 rpm which is where I like to be. I don't know if the 6.2 has enough low end torque or not. It makes more sense for me to get a diesel, and I will most likely end up buying one in the future. But that 6.2 really fascinates me and I want to hear and learn more about it.

-Jared

Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If good mpg's and low rpm's are pre-requisite's, I think you answered your own question (6.7 if it wasn't obvious).

I love my 6.2, and I think you'd be impressed with the 6.2/4.30 combo coming from your current '02 6.8/3.73 combo, but if good mileage and low rpm's while towing are what you're after, you're gonna be hard pressed to get that out of a gasser...

My .02.

You can search through the "Ohio meet" threads to see how the different trucks faired. Mine settled in close behind the 6.7 a couple of meets ago, but you gotta let that thing rev.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like silverbullet said (and he should know) your mpgs will most likely be exactly the same if not worse with the 6.2....you wont be happy if you hate getting fuel every 300 to 350 miles....granted it does have more power and torque

Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
If good mpg's and low rpm's are pre-requisite's, I think you answered your own question (6.7 if it wasn't obvious).

I love my 6.2, and I think you'd be impressed with the 6.2/4.30 combo coming from your current '02 6.8/3.73 combo, but if good mileage and low rpm's while towing are what you're after, you're gonna be hard pressed to get that out of a gasser...

My .02.

You can search through the "Ohio meet" threads to see how the different trucks faired. Mine settled in close behind the 6.7 a couple of meets ago, but you gotta let that thing rev.
I think I would be very impressed too, but I haven't drove one yet. I have driven the 6.7 and was very impressed compared to a stock 6.0 or 6.4. I've watched all the videos on YouTube from the Ohio meet truck pulls, I remember watching a video with a F350 Lariat with the 6.2 and 4.30's (yours if I'm not mistaken, not 100% though) and it pulled excellent. I was shocked that it kept up with all the other diesels. What kind of Mpg's are you getting by the way?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
lol...he gets about 8

Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hotpocket
lol...he gets about 8
I cant go back down that road again, I still like the 6.2 though.. Id like to test drive one or better yet pull a trailer with one to see in the real world how it stacks up to the 6.7.. Are the 6.2's capable of DECENT highway mileage?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cmon hotpocket, more like 8.5-9! Haha... I'm a worst case scenario. I haven't come across one person that's gotten worse mileage than me. I have fun driving my truck and am not easy on the throttle though.

There MPG threads in the 6.2 forum, they are capable of getting good mileage.....as long as I'm not driving apparently. Heh.

And yeah, that was my 6.2 singing in those view.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
my bad Matt forgot the .5 lol...i also drive mine hard ....very hard...like 4 grand shifts everytime lol....i average 16 on the highway and 12 overall

Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I've had gas and diesel trucks in the past, including a 2011 6.7L truck that I really liked. I went back to gas because of the lower cost, cheaper maintenance, and MUCH friendlier cost of repairs out of warranty. With either a 6.4L or 6.7L Powerstroke you can require a $10,000 high pressure fuel system replacement after one tank of bad fuel. These failures aren't real common, but the thought of it along with the other high-dollar repairs makes me less interested than I used to be.

We've seen a few very high dollar failures in the 6.7L forum; one member was saved by his ESP that he purchased that covered his complete engine failure after he had a valve crack. This was after 100,000 miles, and he would have been stuck with a ~$15,000+ bill had he not had this. These cases are extreme and not very common, but I think they well illustrate the potential cost of an out-of-warranty diesel repair. A 6.2L gas engine has no high pressure fuel system to fail, and complete engine failures are downright rare in comparison. When they do fail they can be repaired for about half the cost of a comparable diesel engine.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the 6.7L engine, as the overwhelming majority of owners are very happy with them. But there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a gas engine.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Cmon hotpocket, more like 8.5-9! Haha... I'm a worst case scenario. I haven't come across one person that's gotten worse mileage than me. I have fun driving my truck and am not easy on the throttle though.

There MPG threads in the 6.2 forum, they are capable of getting good mileage.....as long as I'm not driving apparently. Heh.

And yeah, that was my 6.2 singing in those view.
Lol I know what you mean as far as not being easy on the throttle goes, but hey, nobody buys a Super Duty if they are going after the best fuel mileage. I just take what I can get. I guess I'm leaning toward the 6.7 is because I just want to experience owing a diesel, and see how I like it. I will know when the time comes, I got a little while

And beautiful rig by the way!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
very well said Tom...I sleep easy knowing i can get a complete engine for about $1000

Quick Reply: 6.7 Powerstroke vs. 6.2 BOSS