Sponsored by:

94 bronco 5.0, exhaust ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Mwimmer804
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 bronco 5.0, exhaust ideas?

Hey guys was wondering if y'all had any ideas on what I should look into for Y pipe and such. Really don't know a thing about exhaust systems going for a even better bronco sound and some additinal savings in mileage. Any ideas would be helpful as well as if anyone can explain the whole exhaust to me I don't need a novel per se just want to know what I'm talking about when I look at some new parts and such. Thanks -Mitch.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I have the 5.0 and I completely redid my exhaust.

The exhaust system starts as follows:

Exhaust manifolds/headers - they are bolted directly off the heads of the engine
Y-pipe - Connects the two manifolds into one pipe
Catalytic Converter - after the Y-pipe, reduces emissions from the exhaust
Muffler - Reduces noise of the engine coming from the exhaust
Tail Pipe - directs the exhaust from the muffler behind the rear wheel

You will also have I believe 1 O2 sensor (mine has 3) in the "y" of the Y-pipe which gives readings to the computer about how much oxygen is in the exhaust. You may have two O2 sensors, one in the "y", and one after the catalytic converter, but I heard a lot of broncos only have 1. Mine has three because I have a 1996 which was the year of OBDII systems and more emissions requirements.

Also, before the catalytic converter in the Y-pipe, you should have a split off of a hose that goes up to the smog pump I believe (someone correct me if I"m wrong) which is part of the emissions.

That is basically the entire exhaust system. What I would recommend for your truck, because you have the 5.0 and also a Bronco with the transfer case in the way on the driver's side, is to stay with single exhaust. Do NOT do dual exhaust because 1. it will be more expensive and 2. it will be less efficient due to all the bends having to be made to wrap around the transfer case.

Here is what I bought for my Bronco:

Bassani Headers: Bassani Exhaust Headers (they don't look like the ones in the picture)
This is what they look like:

Bassani Y-Pipe with Cat: Bassani Y Pipe
Not a great picture here but this is what it looks like:

Hooker Muffler: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-21606hkr

And Magnaflow Tailpipe: 1994-1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Tail Pipe - Exhaust - Magnaflow, Right 94-96 Ram 1500 Tail Pipe - 1964-03036091 - PartsGeek

The tailpipe here is a universal one, a little cutting will be required to shorten it so it fits right, but it is an excellent option and much cheaper than having a shop weld up a pipe to fit. I did have a shop cut a small portion out of the tailpipe where it runs over the axle so they could weld it up higher to the frame, but that was not too expensive and much cheaper than having a whole tailpipe made from scratch from a shop.

I have all 3" exhaust on my Bronco, and you should go with 3" or 2.5", no bigger than that.

I installed everything myself, but it took a while. The tools I have were a hacksaw and set of sockets/wrenches. You will need to buy some exhaust clamps and hangers and find a place to mount them. I don't have a picture of where I mounted mine now unfortunately.

Anyways for a full, high quality exhaust, you are looking to spent at least 1k, but I highly recommend a setup like this if you are serious about getting exhaust.