6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fuel Tank Removal - 2008 and up Superduty

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 PM
RepoMan207
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Tank Removal - 2008 and up Superduty

Has anyone dropped their fuel tank on the 08+ superduty models? Any videos, pictures, instructions, and or write ups to be had? This is on a 6.4 diesel, but from what I've read, it may very well be the same tank in both the gas, and diesel models. I found a Titan Tank install on a 6.7 model..but I think I read somewhere that those are different tanks and setups.

I've been throwing the dreaded P0088 code: High Fuel Rail Pressure. Physical symptoms, while not always present at the time of throwing the code, are similar to that of of limp mode when running low on fuel..a sputter effect almost, but not consistant if you know what I mean. This happens mostly in the lower gears, through acceleration. It's erratic at best, and is exaggerated when hauling loads....in fact it usually only happens when I'm hauling loads, or the fuel filters have over 4000 miles on them. It typically only happens when I'm running low on fuel (under a quarter of a tank), and or, right after a fuel up (rare). If I change out the filters, it's good for about 1000-2500 miles before it starts acting up again. I've only been going 5000 miles at most on fuel filters for the last 20k-25k miles, due to this issue (I put on a lot of mileage in a short period of time during the spring, and fall.). Maintenance has never been an issue on this truck. I currently have 178k on the clock.

I've read the stories about the HPFP, from my experiences, and with the randomness of it..I don't think that's the issue. I've elected to drop the tank, and clean it out. I was going to remove the HFCM, clean it out, and change out the gasket, but instead I just bought a new one.

I personally like to over analyze things, and go over things in my head a hundred times over before actually tackling a project on hand, no matter the size of it. Hence the request. Any help is appreciated - Thanks!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
did you have the TSB 12-7-7 pcm update applied...if so then I don't think it is a tank issue but rather the HPFP or the VCV...which is part of the HPFP.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 PM
RepoMan207
4wd Low
Originally Posted by senix
did you have the TSB 12-7-7 pcm update applied...if so then I don't think it is a tank issue but rather the HPFP or the VCV...which is part of the HPFP.
I don't think I have. I had one..last January..it was winter anyway. It kind of annoyed me really, they didn't even tell me until after I picked it up from an oil / fuel filter change. This truck is DPF/CAT/EGR/EGR Cooler deleted, and runs a spartan tuner...not sure if it matters.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Then it won't matter. I think you need to look at the hpfp easy enough to pull the tank. Two straps fuel inlet and lines. No different then any other

Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 PM
RepoMan207
4wd Low
Then it won't matter. I think you need to look at the hpfp easy enough to pull the tank. Two straps fuel inlet and lines. No different then any other
How do "look" at the hpfp? What kind of tests can be run? What's needed?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
remove upper fuel filter look in housing for signs of metal ands rust. if found expect a rather large repair bill do to contaminate fuel

Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
curious what your fuel rail pressure is running at. can your programer read the fuel rail pressure

Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 AM
RepoMan207
4wd Low
Originally Posted by cheezit
remove upper fuel filter look in housing for signs of metal ands rust. if found expect a rather large repair bill do to contaminate fuel
You apparently missed the part where I said it's a well maintained truck...it goes through fuel filters like a wh@re uses condoms. If there is contaminated fuel, it's not getting past the filters. And yes, the lower one does exhibit black crap now and again.

This lower filter had about 2500 miles on it. The top one was clean as a whistle. From what I've been told, a blockage and or inconsistent fuel flow will result in a P0088 code.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 AM
RepoMan207
4wd Low
This is what I drained off from the fuel water separator after a having a bad episode. The truck ran fine for about a 900 miles after that. I limped home (1300 miles), and had the filters and oil changed once again. It's sporadic, it effects it sometimes, and other times it's completely fine.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
RepoMan207
4wd Low
Originally Posted by GHeTTo JOe
curious what your fuel rail pressure is running at. can your programer read the fuel rail pressure
That's kind of a hard question to answer where it fluctuates so much. At idle it sits at just over 5k. Average pull is 14k- 16k ish, it goes up to 21k-23k under a heavy load, and hard acceleration on an incline. The highest I've seen it is 26k and it was only there for a split second on a peak.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with you putting that many miles on i would guess your not getting your fuel from one single place right? otherwise id say mayeb try another rest stop. next i dont think its as big of a deal on fuel filters but i could be wrong, are you using ford filters? lastly are you running biofuel? i know i have read when they built these engine they did not design for more than B5 i think

Originally Posted by cheezit
like cheezit said tho with the code P0088 the High Pressure Fuel Injection Pump is the number 1 fix followed by have as many fixes of updating the pcm which like you know being tuned that's not the case. i guess like your original thoughts cleaning the tank might be your best shot as it runs better after new filters. if you do get it cleaned out make sure you let us know how it goes

Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Clean of that and maybe the fuel line might be a route to take and I hope it is successful but start saving your money for the HPFP is my bet.

How did the fuel bowl look?

Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM
RepoMan207
4wd Low
Originally Posted by GHeTTo JOe
with you putting that many miles on i would guess your not getting your fuel from one single place right? otherwise id say mayeb try another rest stop. next i dont think its as big of a deal on fuel filters but i could be wrong, are you using ford filters? lastly are you running biofuel? i know i have read when they built these engine they did not design for more than B5 i think

like cheezit said tho with the code P0088 the High Pressure Fuel Injection Pump is the number 1 fix followed by have as many fixes of updating the pcm which like you know being tuned that's not the case. i guess like your original thoughts cleaning the tank might be your best shot as it runs better after new filters. if you do get it cleaned out make sure you let us know how it goes
OEM filters only.

I mostly use Pilots / Flying J's when I'm on the road, I'm not sure what they run. I try to stay clear of T/A's as a principal, but I was at one a few months ago (not by choice), I used the front pump with the cars, but when I went to get the nozzle it said bio diesel on the badge..so I went around to the truck isles out back, when I went in to have them swap the credit to the new pump, she asked why, her reply was it was all bio diesel. I'm not sure if she knew what she was talking about, or not, there wasn't any badges out back displaying it, and I was on fumes, so I didn't have a choice. It didn't seem to effect it in the least. I also run octane boost, not always Ford, but it's in there.

you're spot on with the tank being the first target. I went to the dealer, they read my screen on my tuner, and then came into the waiting room with an estimate for replacing the hpfp a few minutes later...they didn't test drive it, or so much as pop the hood. I had teh damn keys in my backpack the whole dam time. I'm not going to the extreme of changing the pump because the dealer says so. Yes, it's a common issue, and yes the TSB does indicate that as being the resolution, but it's not the only thing that makes that code pop up. Just because it's more probable, doesn't make it so..this is what infuriates me about Ford..not that it should surprise me. I did order a new HPFP ( I found a steal of a deal), but hopefully I can re sell it soon! The last time I was at the dealer and my DOC pipe went, they wanted to take the cab off, and charge me $1387 for a $227 part. I happen to be on the road at the time, so I limped home with the intention of having my dealer do it when I got there. I got to looking it over once I get home...cab off...tranny out?...I don't think so. I called up Rudy's and ordered a block off plate with a welded in bung for the BP sensor. The EGR coolers were already gone. It arrived 2 days later, & me and my 15 year old son tackled it in the driveway, 2 hours later we were putting away tools and cleaning up. $23 vs $1400...yup, get right on that Mr. Dealer; lesson learned.

I'll update as things progress...and I stop procrastinating.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I use pilot/flying J just as much as I can and stay away from the others, especially BP. I have never had a problem as of yet.

I have found a few of the pilots/flying J with bio, usually the ones within IL or at the borders of IL.

I almost always use the truck pumps because of my length.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 PM
RepoMan207
4wd Low
Clean of that and maybe the fuel line might be a route to take and I hope it is successful but start saving your money for the HPFP is my bet.

How did the fuel bowl look?
The bowl up top is always clean. Like an idiot, I ran out of fuel on my last trip, I tried pushing it to a truck stop rather then stopping at a ma and pa place. Anyway, I had to purge the system, so I popped the upper one out, even sucking the crap off the bottom of the tank, the bowl and upper filter were clean. I had just changed the filters at the time, and only have about 3800 miles on them now, so I haven't' gotten around to changing them out yet. I'm pretty sure I know what I'll find in that lower housing.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Removal - 2008 and up Superduty