Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Hard downshift '11 Edge

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard downshift '11 Edge

2011 Edge downshifts hard when rolling to a stop. This is an intermittent condition that happens @ around 600 rpm below 15mph and is severe. Similar to a transmission slip, only during the last downshift not during any acceleration.

I have read TSB-11-5-6 and am ready to head to the dealer for power train service. Anybody have experience with repair under this bulletin?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Found out that TSB 11-9-11 supersedes TSB 11-5-6.

There is, thankfully, a self check action provided. A valve body modification exists for transmissions originally built with MERCON LV listed on the dipstick.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 PM
fordescaped
New User
I have a escape . Prolly the same tranny but I don't have a dipstick, kinda looks capped off

Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Originally Posted by fordescaped
I have a escape . Prolly the same tranny but I don't have a dipstick, kinda looks capped off
Escape is not listed on TSB 11-9-11.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
I printed TSB 11-9-11 and brought it to the Dealer Service Department. I was told when I made the appointment that a service tech would need to drive the car and reproduce the condition in order to have corrective action taken. This didn't happen. I was pleasantly surprised when the Service Rep read the TSB and said that their tech was familiar with the bulletin, that all modifications/repairs would be made immediately and I would be called later in the day when the car was ready.

This is exactly the type of service we are all entitled to. A little homework paid off here as the Service Department was presented with a detailed problem description and service procedure written by Ford Motor Co.

I will follow up on the repair performance. I hope that communicating this experience will help others.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
TSB 11-12-10 supersedes 11-9-11 for this repair.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=176597

Old 08-24-2013, 07:30 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Downshifting problem has returned. No longer during a rolling stop, now there is a consistent bump at a higher speed.

The dealer has acknowledged the condition. The tech cleared the transmission learning tables and advised us to monitor performance. If the problem persists, they plan on replacing the transmission solenoid pack. Weird how a "plan" was listed on the service invoice instead of an actual corrective action. OK- I'll play the game.

If it has to happen, I'd rather have a problem like this appear early in the warranty period. This 2011 belongs to my 73 year old mother and it just turned over 7'100 miles. Fortunately, Ford Motor Co will own this expensive repair until it's fixed properly.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
At present, Ford warranty service has denied further repair to this vehicle. The shifting problem that persists is slight and intermittent. It was nonexistent enroute to the most recent dealership presentation and the tech reported that his test drive determined the transmission was shifting properly.

We are left hoping the problem that is now gone, stays gone. The dealer has agreed, however, to complete the repair protocol if the shifting problem can be experienced in the future by their transmission tech.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Update- No bumps or hard shifting to report. Any problems post valve body modification had to involve an adaptive learning curve. I'm not familiar enough with the technology to understand why it took as long as it did to adjust, but the Edge really drives nice now.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country
Things like this are interesting. My mom had a 2010 bought used and displayed the shift issue spoke about on the TSB. At the time she just figured that's just the way the car shifts. Never knew about the TSB. I guess you only get recall notices in the mail and not TSB's.

She traded it on her 2012 and this one shifts sweet.

Interesting to see that the TSB only covers vehicles under warranty. If you were outside your warranty and rolled in to a dealer and mentioned the shift issue that's corrected in a TSB, wouldn't you think being it's a known issue they would fix it? Maybe just me but it don't seem right. I guess if the shift issue doesn't cause any damage or premature wear than I can understand. That probably is the case.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:54 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Originally Posted by Phil-turbodiesel
...I guess if the shift issue doesn't cause any damage or premature wear than I can understand. That probably is the case.
I would be hard to imagine the hard shift isn't bad for the drivetrain. I wouldn't keep an Edge with the condition uncorrected.

I guess it's up to us as owners to monitor bulletins and recalls if we don't want to get hosed by FoMoCo. I know I will.