Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone out there with 4.30 or 4.56 gears?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 AM
jmcmahan21
New User
jmcmahan21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im new to this site but I just read all the posts above. I have a 2003 with a v10 and without pulling anything the best gas mileage I'm getting is 11 miles per gallon. I do have 35 inch tires and 4:56 gears does that sound about right? How much extra gas mileage would I get with a tuner?

Jerrod

Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 AM
jakgod3
Senior User
jakgod3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to FTE, from what I have heard is that any extra mileage you get from the SCT 5 star tunes gets taken away by th grin on your face every time you put your foot to the floor

And 11 mpg sounds about right, mines a little better because of my gearing but I would love to have that extra torque at takeoff!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM
jmcmahan21
New User
jmcmahan21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jakgod3 View Post
Welcome to FTE, from what I have heard is that any extra mileage you get from the SCT 5 star tunes gets taken away by th grin on your face every time you put your foot to the floor

And 11 mpg sounds about right, mines a little better because of my gearing but I would love to have that extra torque at takeoff!
Im sure if my wife dove my truck it would get 12 or 13. It's just so fun much fun to leave an F150 in the dust

Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not criticizing at all but if you insist that fine; just saying that I've owned this truck for basically 10-years and I've been there, done that, bought the Tee shirt, and had it tattooed on my @$$. Just as I said before, one mans opinion of towing good and another's can be two very different perspectives! A 3.73 geared 2002 3/4 ton 2 valve 6.8L V-10 with a 4R100 is not all that stout of a machine; 14k lbs behind it on level ground and without a wind towing good, maybe; into any wind or lightly rolling hills and it'd fall on it's face. I'm not pertending to know anything, I had your truck except a year newer and I made some significant upgrades for a reason. Furthermore, to pull that large of a camper at 75-80mph on a truck that is far below it's ratings is simply being irresponsible or more than likely there's probably some chest thumping get in the way of admitting the truth. Maybe that 14k lb camper only actually scales at 10k, who knows. My flame suit is on, but I'm stepping out on this one since you've already got it all figured out. If it pulls as good as you say, I wouldn't waste a dime on upgrades!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Well I don't tow the 5er often, probibally once or twice a year. My parents bought it and traded in thier bus for it and my truck was my dads until he passed it down to me, I grew up with it and we bought it new. My dad is buying either a 6.7 powerstroke or 6.7 cummins for a tow rig when his current lease runs up.. I won't have to worry about it too much longer. Other than that my truck is used for our construction and cement company and has been more than adequate for that. It's reliable, strong, and if you take care of it it will take care of you. Personally I'm a diesel guy, so I plan on running the wheels off of it until I have no use for it anymore and then ill trade up to a newer powerstroke. With the new Tow Ratings and GCWR's they have on these newer trucks I won't be having any issues

Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM
F350ShortBedDually
New User
F350ShortBedDually is starting off with a positive reputation.
V-10

I have a 2006 F350 Dually 6.8L 4.10 gears. 43,000 miles.
It gets 11.0 MPG highway unloaded and 7 to 8 mpg pulling a 11,000 lb
5th Wheel. Can it get any better than that?

Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 AM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
MDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by F350ShortBedDually View Post
I have a 2006 F350 Dually 6.8L 4.10 gears. 43,000 miles.
It gets 11.0 MPG highway unloaded and 7 to 8 mpg pulling a 11,000 lb
5th Wheel. Can it get any better than that?
Probably not. My 08 short bed dually (4.10) will get me just shy of 11 highway (lie-o-meter says 13), in town 6-8, short distances with a loaded dump trailer 5-7. I don't care. It sucks for sure and for those who cry diesel for mpgs a similarly equipped diesel truck would've gone for $10k more (I bought used). For ME I drive 5-7k a year on my truck. An extra $10k for better mpgs would've been a foolish mistake as it would probably take 10 years to recoup that initial cost. Put on 20k a year diesel will probably pay for itself much sooner. I'm not knocking diesels, I just wanted a newer truck with low miles and for the same price as my 08 with 24k on the clock. I would've ended up with an 06 or earlier with nearly 100k miles.

I still chuckle reading stories where someone has a newer paid off gas truck with very few miles on the truck and they are so sick of the mpgs they trade up for a few hundred $ a month payment for extra dimes in savings for mpgs (whether new gas or diesel truck). Same thing when everyone traded in their paid off cars to get incentives for a more fuel efficient vehicle. They accepted a monthly payment they didn't have to gain 4mpgs at the pump. Yea that makes total sense.

Also with towing I find that sometimes the comparisons are apples to oranges. Take my towing for example. I tow short distances, lots of stop and go with a trailer that can have a varied load from 4k empty to fully loaded at 14k. I therefore will get really bad mpgs. Then there is the crowd who says they don't "feel" the trailer because their truck is so powerful (gas or diesel). I'll tell you this, with my type of towing I feel the trailer whether empty or full. On a highway jaunt at full speed of course the trailer doesn't feel like its there. Everything is at speed vs accelerating. Yea yea mountains I get it but even the most tuned truck will "feel" a trailer. Just look at the Ohio meet videos. And with the varying trailer weights how can any verbal comparison mean anything.

What just happened? I think I may have blacked out.....

Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM
F350ShortBedDually
New User
F350ShortBedDually is starting off with a positive reputation.
V-10

We are on the same page, you can buy a lot of gas with the $10,000 difference in the price tag. You could buy a new Dually for $65,000 and get 13 to 14 mpg with a nice payment to match. My MPG sounds to be the same as yours. I find it is best to keep it at 1900 to 2000 RPM. The MPG is better at 65 MPH than 55 MPH. Slow driving around town will drain the tank!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 AM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
MDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to behold
It just makes me laugh when people will buy a brand new loaded dually (gas or diesel), then purchase a huge fifth wheel, and proceed to talk about needing to save money. So they drop the extra $8k for a motor only to use this stuff 4-5x per year to save mpgs.
Someone just dropped near or over $100,000 on recreationalequipment and talk about saving money. What?!? If you truly wanted to travel and save money you'd buy appropriately.
Then there are those who purchase for convenience. They buy diesel for the "ease" of towing or just better overall towing experience. I wouldnt know this personally but has been reasonably accepted as true. This I can understand.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 PM
fla-gypsy
Senior User
fla-gypsy is starting off with a positive reputation.
These are my real world numbers for my 09 F-250 Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10 5r100.

Around town- 12 mpg in mixed driving

Towing 10k TT- 9 mpg tops

Old 07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Tonkabot
New User
Tonkabot is starting off with a positive reputation.
New owner, new to forum

ok, my 2008 F250 V10 177k truck with 4.30 gears is getting 11.8 in conservative city driving, and was about 15 on it's first 300 mile freeway trip. These numbers according to the dash meter. I bought it to pull my 10k 28ft enclosed car hauler that I need for this new 'racing' habit I caught. I have only just today moved my trailer around the block to juggle cars, and have no idea what it will do towing it, yet. As a side note, my mom's 2012 F150 ECO-Boost gets 20 mpg empty freeway, and got 10 mpg towing my trailer when I bought it. Later when the trailer had a 3k car in it, I got the same 10 mpg. I was looking for a 7.3 diesel, like 2003 or so, but I could not find one I liked, and when I saw this truck with no rust, I went for it. I don't know that I'll be putting enough miles on it to justify a diesel. So far I added a Bestop bumper step, likely to get the power running boards from bestop, my new bilstien 5100's will be here Tuesday along with a Curt Weight Distribution hitch.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Thanks for all the responses! I got a good idea from what kind of mileage you guys are getting.. My truck has worked for me since we bought it new, so if it aint broken dont fix it.. I might as well save the money I'll spend on gearing and spend it on a tuner and save the rest. Or put it in my new truck fund

Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
zoenemo1
Freshman User
zoenemo1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 f250 v10 4x4 4r100 trans and 4.30 gears with 35" tires city driving I get 9mpg same towing.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 PM
GTA DAVE
New User
GTA DAVE is starting off with a positive reputation.
First off. Many here stretch the mpg.
2006 F 350 dually
430 gears.
80k miles
In town 7-8
Highway 8-9
Towing 6
Done all maintenance. No issues

But I have a little sports car that gets 30
So, I average 19 between both vehicles.
Just thought real mpg should be seen.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 AM
tobyw
Senior User
tobyw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just for more data points for you, truck details in my sig...

I consistently get 11-12mpg with mixed city/hwy driving.

Just took a 500 mile round trip, with a couple mountain passes mixed in, cruise control set at 65. There were three "hefty" men in the truck, along with a full arsenal of vehicle recovery equipment. Towed my empty flatbed trailer (~1500lbs) there, loaded up and brought back a stock '94 Cherokee (~3500lbs for a total of ~5000lbs). Hand calculated 11.1mpg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone out there with 4.30 or 4.56 gears?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.