1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1940s-50s Ford Truck Rental

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 AM
aliciamc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1940s-50s Ford Truck Rental

I was wondering if anyone rents out their truck for weddings in NY?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
I wanted to give you a bump on your posting but I also wanted to say a few words that may help you.

In the past I have allowed my trucks to be used for weddings. Most of the people have been respectful of my property. The key to your success is to have a clear understanding of what the truck is used for and have a written agreement to that fact. I had one photographer that actually placed a bride on the hood of a 66 Mustang. The bride placed a nice dent in the hood and cost me big $$$ to get it redone. Also, are you wanting to use the truck for photos or as a "getaway" car? I have no problem showing up and allowing the bridal party to use the truck as a prop but I, like most of us, wouldn't think of turning the keys over to someone unless we knew them. There are exceptions to that but it would be hard to find. Lastly, us truck nuts are happy to show off our trucks but even if we donate our time and vehicle, please consider paying the gas (and cake) for our travels. I had a lady on this forum contact me earlier this year and wasted about 2 days of my time before deciding that she didn't want a black truck in the wedding photos. I wish you the best of luck and hope you will find what you seek.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Teardropty has given you some good advise. It is also a good idea to give a better location than NY. If I still lived in Niagara Falls and you were in Buffalo, Rochester or Jamestown area, I would have no problem, BUT if it turned out that you were on Long Island I would not waste my time responding. I'm not suggesting that you post your address, or even your town (if it's a small one) but a general area or larger city close by would give you a better chance of getting a response. Also, 99% of the people that do not live in New York state automatically assume that you are in NYC if all you say NY.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You might check with the outfits that rent classic cars for movies. They have contracts that take care of a lot of the points Teardropty brings up. They also have the insurance in place to cover a rental like that (as a prop). I'd flat be amazed if anyone lets you drive a classic car yourself, it isn't at all like driving a modern car.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 AM
aliciamc
New User
Thanks so much for all of the advice. The location is in Port Jervis, NY, which is basically the corner of NY, PA, and NJ. We would actually need the car to and from the church. You bring up a good point...I understand owners not wanting to put a stranger behind the wheel. And I am assuming 3 people would not fit in the truck, if the owner would drive. I actually did come across a film car website but still waiting for response. That's very annoying about wasting your time Teardropty when the bride did not tell you which color truck she wanted. I suppose black isn't very weddingy...colors or white seem more appropriate. Thank you all for your help...and if anyone is interested in helping us out for our wedding day, please let me know.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Alicia I will put some calls out to some friends your way and let you know if I come up with anything. It may be easier to rent a truck from a prop company. I know my insurance company doesn't cover "for hire" situations and frowns upon others driving my vehicles but a rental place will overcome that issue. You could always buy a vintage truck and make it your own. Also, when is the wedding? Keep in mind most of us don't have a/c either and sitting in a tux or wedding gown in a hot truck is sure disaster. I remember attending a wedding in July where the groom rented a horse drawn carriage for the event. Nothing like the smell of sweaty horses on a 93 degree day. Not trying to rain on your day, in fact I always think it is awesome when the lucky couple shows up in a classic, I hope you find something. Have a great day.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM
aliciamc
New User
Haha I hear you on the sweaty mess that could turn into. The wedding is on May 31, 2014. I actually contacted creative film cars in NYC so hopefully I will be able to hear back from them since they would have the insurance. Thanks so much. And yes if you do hear from anyone you know who would be interested, send them my way. Thanks again, really appreciate your help.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
ill rent mine out for 18k and you get to keep it when your done

Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Alicia, you might also try nationwidepicturecars.com, they are a nationwide clearing house for vehicles all over the country. You can go to their site and search by mileage from your zipcode, you may actually find something closer than the 'city'. A quick search I located 2 55 F100's and one 53 f100 all within 79 miles of Port Jervis. Oh, and there were also two chebbys in that area too.

(Edith is listed with this company as their insurance covers her in such cases)

Old 07-19-2013, 05:33 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Two points bear repeating. Not to dampen spirits, just setting expectations.
1: Most older, manual steering/transmission vehicles take a bit of learning to drive.
2: Old trucks really don't fit three when there's a wedding dress involved.

That being said, you might try to find a "modernized" vehicle if you're set on an old truck. As well, there are some terrific old limousines left on the planet. I know of a splendid 1946 Cadillac limo in Dallas. It does happen to be for sale too.