Notices

Raptor or F-250?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Wizness
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're worried about gas milage..I wouldn't be looking at trucks.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM
oldnewschool
New User
agreed, you're going to need a deep wallet for either one of those trucks.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Well obviously your going to need to get a truck that suits your needs. If you want my recommendation, I would say go with the F-350, not the 250, trust me you'll want to pay the extra 700 bucks for the upped capacity, hydroboost brakes and some other things you don't get with the 250. I would also go with the diesel. You will get great mileage on the diesel. With mine I am averaging 17-18 in the city, and it jumps to 22-23 on the highway. At the end of the day, like I said above, it's all about what your gonna need the truck for. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
As of 2012, f350s have vacuum boost, unless you buy a dually. Did ford change back to hydro already?

JOB 2 ORDER GUIDE UPDATES – Effective on all vehicles built on or after Job#2 (01/03/12 – Subject to change)
• F-350 SRW w/6.7L diesel engine now have standard vacuum
boost brakes

Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Ive owned both.... I have had many many cars/ trucks. I had an 08 F150-loved it but traded it for a Mustang-couldnt stand being without a truck so I was torn between a used powerstroke and a new ecoboost. I ended up walking out of the dealer with the Raptor because it was cheaper than the new EB trucks. I loved it, it held its value and got looks. The F250 I have now gets looks but is much more to own as far as maint goes due to being diesel. I dont mind it but keep in mind, that might play a large part to some people

Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Woodward_Dreams
Freshman User
Like others have stated, it all depends on how you are going to use it. Both are fantasic trucks.

Keep in mind that you cannot get the 8 foot bed on a Raptor.

Either way, enjoy it!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I was in the same boat in the fall of 2012 and I ended up getting a Super Duty. The reason why was that I wanted a solid front axle and manual hubs. Plus a person could take a stock SD or F150 and install a lift kit and other mods and have a truck that looks and functions just as good(or better)than a Raptor but for a lot less money.

I went with the 6.2 and I've averaged around 12mpg over the 11,000 miles I've put on the truck.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:11 AM
kas83
Senior User
FWIW a tuned Raptor is capable of 17-18 mpg pretty consistently. I purchased a 5star tuner for my uncles '13 and he's been in love since. Super responsive, great in town and highway manners, all around more enjoyable to drive.

And anyone who isn't worried about mpg in this day and age is downright foolish.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
My 6.7 was usually around 18-20 stock highway, now tuned I'm 20+.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 AM
61steven
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not at all been impressed with the Ecoboost v6 that Ford put out. The turbo system only gets around 15 or 16mpg and if something were to go wrong.. $$$$ for a complex gas turbo system repair. My father gets 16mpg with his 5.4 in an 09 and it has more than enough power to tow a camper and have fun with.

The Raptors are very nice trucks, but im not so sure I would own one unless I a place like the desert to play pretty often. Ford has made a few new modifications to the truck for this year like a front and rear facing camera along with a few others I cannot remember. If you do tow or haul anything heavy I would advise against a raptor. They are set up for off road abuse and long shock travel, so the suspension will be soft.

A f250 TDI would be the best choice in my opinion. They get decent fuel economy from the factory and they respond really well to some modifications. Exhaust and turners alone will do a lot for power and economy. Towing will be best suited by an f250 for the heavy duty springs and frame.

When buying any vehicle anyone would be stupid not to consider fuel economy. Different trucks get different mileage and that should be taken into account, maybe even as an overall cost(truck+gas+mods). If cost is the number one factor, then maybe a thumping v8(or turbo v6) isn't the best option. If having a truck bed, towing capacity, and your man card come first.. A Ford truck is the only choice!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We have two F350s and two F250s and I think we need a F150 so I ordered a 14 Raptor last August. Just arrived in Vegas at Shelby for a conversion. Whipple supercharger and 575 HP and a few other mods. It will set in their warehouse for 3 months waiting its turn for the Shelby treatment. Mostly a toy, maybe a part time daily driver, but I won't tow or haul much in it. Basically a Sunday go to church hot rod.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM
C_H_M
New User
This is an interesting question. I would say that if your application is 70% offroad or more, look at the Raptor. If you will tow, or do long road trips, and still want a truck with decent off road abilities, you could get an F250 similar to the one below which has Super Lift, Bilstein upgrade, 6 IN SD spring rear, 4 IN coil spring front, ARB Lockers front and rear, 35 IN Hankook Dynapro tires, and SCT tune.

I have had several f250's like this and until I drove the Raptor, I thought they were second to none in off road ability in a vehicle that still has many other practical uses. I am selling the f250 below after putting several hundred off road miles on a Raptor but my use is about 90% off road.

The 6.0 L diesel will get around 17 on the hwy, but only about 13 off road. The Raptor will not get that kind of milage. I can squeak 19 out of the 6.0 if I keep it at 65mph. It has all kinds of power and speed. Off road it will go a lot of places, but it is heavy, so when bad things happen they usually are really bad. Mud/snow on sidehills are tough. As heavy as the diesel is, once it starts to slide, there is little or no stopping it. However if the clearance is there, my f250 WILL absolutely make it through. The Raptor is far more nimble, and can handle much steeper ascents/descents and sidehills. It also has the off road mode and hill descent features that the F250 does not have. The Raptor only comes in a 5.5 foot bed, and there is not much room in the bed. The Raptor SCREW does have a ton or room in the back seat though.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by C_H_M; 03-31-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM
asphaltman
Senior User
I've had many diesels, and also several Raptors. I am currently in a Raptor but have a new diesel on order. I will say the Raptor is over built and handles amazing. Mileage sucks, but the motor is a beast. The one reason I like the raptors, they hold their value very well, it's one of the cheapest to drive trucks available. It's also an amazing popular truck, you'll get compliments all day long. That being said, I miss the power of the diesel, so that's why I am going back for my next truck. I also enjoy the slightly wider cab of the superdutys. So I would say if you want to drive a car cheap and can even get a raptor go for it. If your not planning to turn it in a few years and want to drive it into the ground, go with a Powerstroke.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 PM
C_H_M
New User
Originally Posted by asphaltman
I've had many diesels, and also several Raptors. I am currently in a Raptor but have a new diesel on order. I will say the Raptor is over built and handles amazing. Mileage sucks, but the motor is a beast. The one reason I like the raptors, they hold their value very well, it's one of the cheapest to drive trucks available. It's also an amazing popular truck, you'll get compliments all day long. That being said, I miss the power of the diesel, so that's why I am going back for my next truck. I also enjoy the slightly wider cab of the superdutys. So I would say if you want to drive a car cheap and can even get a raptor go for it. If your not planning to turn it in a few years and want to drive it into the ground, go with a Powerstroke.
asphaltman, I would agree with all of that, especially the part about Raptors holding their value. Amazing how much difference that makes when you go to trade in. F150's in general are holding value pretty dang good. F250 Diesels, which used to hold value well, are not doing too good right now. I was recently disappointed to find out that my F250 Lariat with 6.0 PSD had roughly the same value as my wife's F150 Lariat. The F150 is a year newer, but has twice the miles of the 250. Paid half again as much for the diesel to start with. Strange!?

Unfortunately there is no perfect truck.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TCAS007
I can't quite decide what I want to replace my Expedition. I like both the Raptor and the Superduty. I did not drive a Raptor yet. The f-250 drives well but felt heavy and the mileage showed 9 MPG.
According to the salesman it gets 19 as a diesel while the Raptor gets 15.

Is that true?

As the Raptor is heavier, is it still faster than a King Ranch with the same V8?

As for the room I hope the cabin is as roomy as the Platinum one I sat in at the dealership. It was impressing.

What are the pro and cons of the Raptor vs a SD?
Just guessing, but you said you were replacing an Expedition with the new vehicle? Which tells me you probably ain't going to need to be able to tow an astronomical amount of goods. In that case, the Raptor, but if you're using it as a "truck" F250. Also, the 2014 may not be the last SVT Raptor made, it will be the last of it's kind though. So, later down the road, it will still be worth alot of money. As far as the engine, you can't ask for better, I have the same engine in the Harley, it's intoxicating for sure! And the Raptor rides better than any other F150, IMO.

Quick Reply: Raptor or F-250?