1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My truck hates me for moving to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Resqguy77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My truck hates me for moving to Alaska

I've owned the truck for a couple months now (2000 F350 V10 with 210k). I checked the oil when I bought it: clean and full. Doesn't leak or smoke (until today) so I never really thought to check it.

Had it shipped to Alaska from Florida (military move). Picked it up the other day and all seemed fine. Second day of driving, the oil light came on and the gauge read zero upon startup. Shut it down, checked oil...and it didn't even read on the stick...WTF...it was 3 quarts low.

Now that its full, it still does the same thing for about a 1-2 minutes after startup, then the light goes off and gauge comes up. Been like that for a couple days now. Then today, after a short drive, I let it idle for a couple minutes and it started smoking. Goes away after a minute of driving down the road. Seems to be a greyish color...not blue like oil. And it doesn't smell like oil. Checked oil and level is still good. But, also noticed a kind of buzzing noise coming from the top, passenger side of the engine. Almost sounds like its coming from an injector or that area.

I took a couple quick videos to help explain. Any tips on where to start would be nice. Maintenance I've done so far is all new COPs, new Motorcraft Plugs (with one TimeSert), new PVC hose, and new air filter.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
wow it sounds like crap out of the exhaust

Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Resqguy77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Hotpocket
wow it sounds like crap out of the exhaust
It has stock manifolds and y-pipe but someone cut out the cat and it has a long cylindrical muffler. Think it's gotta miss. That's why I started with COPs and plugs.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
I'd try and reset the computer. It might be confused due to altitude differences.
Since it was drop shipped it hasn't had time to acclimatize itself. My car requires about 50 miles of driving before it settles back in.
Hope that is all it is but doesn't sound good.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, to me the buzzing sound reminds me of a PVC valve buzz. It's the hose going into the valve cover you were filming.
Check the hose for cracks, pull the valve and start it up. Put your finger over the valve and see if the noise goes away. It will probably run like crap with the PCV valve out or plugged so don't worry about that.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
Originally Posted by Resqguy77
It has stock manifolds and y-pipe but someone cut out the cat and it has a long cylindrical muffler. Think it's gotta miss. That's why I started with COPs and plugs.
unrelated question...does your exhaust stink without a cat....im thinking of cutting mine out and leaving the stock muffler

Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Resqguy77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Well, to me the buzzing sound reminds me of a PVC valve buzz. It's the hose going into the valve cover you were filming.
Check the hose for cracks, pull the valve and start it up. Put your finger over the valve and see if the noise goes away. It will probably run like crap with the PCV valve out or plugged so don't worry about that.
Thx!! You were totally right. Removing it or plugging it really didn't have any effect on how it ran. Its always had that kind of miss/rough idle. Gonna go get a new PCV valve tomorrow. I wonder if that had anything to do with replacing the leaky PCV elbow under the throttle body.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Resqguy77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Hotpocket
unrelated question...does your exhaust stink without a cat....im thinking of cutting mine out and leaving the stock muffler
I'm not sure if its due to no cat or the current issues I'm having, but yes it does kinda stink. Hard to explain the smell, kind of like burnt fuel or soot or something. Not the greatest description...sorry.

Here's a picture of what I have.

Not sure if this is all related, but I always had an odd noise from the y-pipe too.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Did you plug the pcv with your finger did the buzz go away. I would also check the whole hose especially if it was repaired at one time, maybe they didn't get it on all the way. If the valve is bad it could have been sucking all the time which would cause some oil usage. Hope the valve cures it for you.
Just played the video, answered my one question, hope the new one cures it but I would still check that hose just for good measure. Might want to check all the hoses, one for the IAC and I think there is one more, the truck ride mught have knocked one loose or a crack might have occured.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fram oil filters are junk and sub quality. The oil issue on start-up sounds like the lack of an anti-drainback valve in the filter. The valve is to stop oil draining back into the pan and keep oil in the top end. Replace it with a Motorcraft FL820s and Im willing to bet that issue will go away!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Resqguy77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kdr358
Fram oil filters are junk and sub quality. The oil issue on start-up sounds like the lack of an anti-drainback valve in the filter. The valve is to stop oil draining back into the pan and keep oil in the top end. Replace it with a Motorcraft FL820s and Im willing to bet that issue will go away!
I bought a Napa Gold filter today. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Napa gold is a re-boxed wix, When wally-world is out of MC filters that's where I stop on my way home. I have never had issues with WIX/napa filters.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Resqguy77
Freshman User
New oil filter seems to have fixed the oil pressure issue.

New PVC valve seems to have fixed the smoke issue too. Guess it was just sucking all that oil/vapors into the intake.

Thanks for all the help. Now I just gotta get it running better......

Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Find someone with a good diagnostic tool that will tell you if you have cylinder misses, my bet is a new set of cops and maybe plugs are next.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
he said he already installed all new Ford COP's and Ford spark plugs

Quick Reply: My truck hates me for moving to Alaska