Sponsored by:

Spare tire carrier delete - am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:30 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Spare tire carrier delete - am I crazy?

Hey guys, back in the game with a '95 Bronco XLT this time. I previously had a '96 Eddie Bauer and 3 other trucks this body style.

The new ride (5.8/E4OD) will be the wife's daily driver. I need to see what is up with the torsion bar on the gate (not working and loose) and also am thinking about taking off the rear tire carrier to make it easier for her to load and unload stuff from the back. The Bronc has 31x10.50-15s on it now, would one fit on an inside spare carrier? What parts would I need? She'll use it for getting groceries as well as hauling our dog, so I'm thinking the spare tire carrier will become quite the PITA

[IMG]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/joshual78/Bronco%20Reconstruction/3B733CE7-5CEA-4E7D-B1DD-CFF8363EA9B8.jpg
[/IMG]

I bought it wrecked in the front cheap from a kid on craigslist. Should be going together with it next week, although I won't have time to paint just yet, I'll be plasti-dipping the door, hood, fender and filler panel to get by until I can do a full repaint this summer.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How will a carrier that swings open with the press of a handle be a problem? Carrying a full-size spare inside will kill more cargo space than you realize and create a passenger-side blind spot. If she needs to carry groceries AND the dog she will be making YOU ride hanging onto the tailgate where that spare that is taking up all her cargo space used to be.

Yes, a 31 will fit inside since it really isn't any bigger than the OEM tire that came on the truck. But you will have to find the components for the internal carrier which don't amount to much more than a bolt and wing nut and a cut notch in the passenger side cargo area trim. You will also want to take the time to seal up the 14 holes in the body and tailgate that will be left behind by the missing carrier and latch assemblies. Yes, 14... two (2) for the bump stop near the bottom of the gate, and four (4) for each hinge and the latch plate.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 AM
jimbo285
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 31x10.5-15 fits inside on the factory hanger. It sometimes touches the vinyl floor back there and the squeeking drives me crazy, but you can put a piece of carpet scrap under it if it hangs down. Since yours is an XLT you probably have carpet anyway. Like grey says, it does take up much room. I am building a platform to put the spare under with a toolbox/storage box. It will create a nice shelf to put rifles or whatever on.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:47 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Well I started messing with it yesterday and I will be ditching the external carrier for sure. I'll throw it on craigslist, what's a good price? It has totally f-ed up the tailgate skin. There is a 5- inch section on the RH corner were the skin has torn away from the body at the seam. Will a weld repair hold up there if I ditch the external carrier? I know how to patch sheet metal with small tacks, but the damage is bad enough I might be looking for a whole good used tailgate.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:26 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
There is a "FIX" gallery that deals with this exact issue and how to rectify the problem. "Tire Carrier Torque Fix". It isn't the carrier that causes the damage. Its the oversized bumper at the bottom edge of the gate.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:29 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
How long has it been since you have done the fix? How is it holding up?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:46 PM
T2 HUFF
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll buy it off you for $50

Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
I replaced a tailgate with severe separation at the upper corners (torn and split sheet metal on the outer skin pulling away from the inner at the roll-weld edge). The gate that you see on the Bronco in my signature is a JBG aftermarket unit that replaced the damaged original. It has been on the truck for the past 7 years with no signs of deterioration since having relieved the pressures applied by a tire carrier that was actually pulling the outer sheet metal skin off the tailgate.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Looks like closer to $200 is the going rate for a complete carrier.

Still undecided.

I've looked at those JBG tailgates and that would be nice since this one is so beat up, but the shipping is killer on them. Maybe later.

If I do keep the carrier I need the rubber bumper for the bottom, it's totally gone. Any idea where to get one?

How is that Jeff's gate versus a factory one? Is it as thick and strong? I know aftermarket pickup tailgates are usually garbage.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Well if you are concerned about the price tag on an aftermarket tailgate, you had better sit down and get out the defibrillator when you start researching the OEM version.

The one I have is my second JBG gate. I also take some extra precautions when replacing them. I have the guys at the local Rhino lining shop take the nozzle off the sprayer when they do the inside of the gate and they fill the crevices along the bottom of the gate (where rust forms from the inside out anyway) so corrosion cannot start. They do leave the weep holes clear because you won't stop water from getting into it. I wish I had photos of the gate from Greystreak92. That gate sat around in the yard for several years AFTER she was torched and the only parts that even showed signs of deterioration were the surfaces that the paint burned off of in the fire.

Some of the guys who have been here long enough know the story but if you want to see what I mean check my gallery "Trial by Fire".

As for the lower bump stop, JBG, NPD, or LMC should have one. Just make certain if you decide to keep the carrier that when the carrier is closed, the lower bump stop just touches the skin of the gate. Any more pressure and you will get sheet metal separation. Any less and the carrier will rattle all the time AND you will get sheet metal separation.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:41 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Well if you are concerned about the price tag on an aftermarket tailgate, you had better sit down and get out the defibrillator when you start researching the OEM version.

The one I have is my second JBG gate. I also take some extra precautions when replacing them. I have the guys at the local Rhino lining shop take the nozzle off the sprayer when they do the inside of the gate and they fill the crevices along the bottom of the gate (where rust forms from the inside out anyway) so corrosion cannot start. They do leave the weep holes clear because you won't stop water from getting into it. I wish I had photos of the gate from Greystreak92. That gate sat around in the yard for several years AFTER she was torched and the only parts that even showed signs of deterioration were the surfaces that the paint burned off of in the fire.

Some of the guys who have been here long enough know the story but if you want to see what I mean check my gallery "Trial by Fire".

As for the lower bump stop, JBG, NPD, or LMC should have one. Just make certain if you decide to keep the carrier that when the carrier is closed, the lower bump stop just touches the skin of the gate. Any more pressure and you will get sheet metal separation. Any less and the carrier will rattle all the time AND you will get sheet metal separation.

On your advice I'm leaning towards keeping the carrier for now. This Bronco will basically see two "Builds" The one for now will be quick, to repair the crash damage, clean up the interior and get it all one color and up to snuff for Daily Driver duty. My wife will drive it until she gets to wanting another car and then it will be in my clutches for a project build. I do plan on making it a Lightning Bronco clone.

Thinking I'll repair the gate on there for now, and when I do a full build and proper paint job I'll replace it with new. The separation damage I can repair, but it also has quite a few dings and dents along the top that will be hard to get right with body work.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Grey Streak, I'm looking at the JBG tailgate again. Were they EDP Primered when you bought yours? I'm just wondering if spraying bedliner inside is really necessary. I've used EDP Primered parts with great success on restorations for rust repair and it's help up really well, much better than the primer that the factory used. I'm thinking the fix will get me by for now, but I'm gonna need a new tailgate eventually.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Yes, they were. I added the lining to prevent water from welling up in the lower seam between the skin and inner structural steel. If you take a close look at the gate, the weep holes in the bottom aren't actually IN the BOTTOM and the whole reason that the gate rusts from the inside out about a 1/2 inch ABOVE the bottom of the skin is because that is exactly where the water gets trapped in that seam. The seam is LOWER than the weep holes and so the water just doesn't go anywhere and it begins oxidizing the steel down in that seam.

The fact that I took the time to have the entire lower half of the tailgate lined was for aesthetic reasons. Sealing the seam was the functional reason.