1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Think your accel pedal position sensors bad? Think again.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Just an update.
I could push the throttle about 1/2 - 3/4" inch down before you could hear the IVS click(engine off)

And then I did it with the truck running. As soon as the switch clicked, I got an easy 400rpm jump.

I bent the tab so now you just touch the pedal and it clicks. MUCH smoother and easier to drive, ESPECIALLY with the stick

Thanks a bunch

Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's nice when something is an easy fix isn't it? It doesn't happen very often but it is nice when it does.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Just an update.
I could push the throttle about 1/2 - 3/4" inch down before you could hear the IVS click(engine off)

And then I did it with the truck running. As soon as the switch clicked, I got an easy 400rpm jump.

I bent the tab so now you just touch the pedal and it clicks. MUCH smoother and easier to drive, ESPECIALLY with the stick

Thanks a bunch
Good on ya Brad. I felt the same way when i fixed it on mine. The driveability is SOOOO much better.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
It's nice when something is an easy fix isn't it? It doesn't happen very often but it is nice when it does.
This is very true.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 PM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Update. . Still running my truck with this mod. So happy. Not 1 single problem in a year !!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Since you updated yours, I'll update mine. SOMETIMES I have a dead pedal(at initial start up), I just have to hit it a couple times and it is fine the rest of the day

Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Since you updated yours, I'll update mine. SOMETIMES I have a dead pedal(at initial start up), I just have to hit it a couple times and it is fine the rest of the day
This is pretty much where I am at with mine. I have a wiring issue somewhere between the switch and the harness on the firewall. I used to jiggle the wire until the throttle would work. But, I found out a few months ago that if I let it idle for 30-45 seconds after start-up, it works every time. So, I let it idle...every time. That is the norm for me anyways. I never get in any vehicle and just throw it in drive. That is a bad way to treat a vehicle. Drives me crazy watching others do it! I am going to resolder the wire, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I got tired of chasing such a frustrating problem.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
How many APP (accelerator pedal position) sensors have you guys went thru since I've posted this ?
I haven't had 1 single problem with this setup. No check engine lights. No stumbling whatsoever. The truck hasn't taken off Wildly on it's own. It's been very reliable.
Also it proved to be a great anti theft device. I left my keys in my bumper at work and one of the guys seen me put them there. (he loves my truck. Always talks to me about it ) anyway while I was out of the yard he texted me saying that it drives nice and blah blah blah. I asked him how far he got and he said he moved it 3 parking spaces. Because he couldn't figure out how to activate the pedal. lol

Old 04-18-2014, 11:13 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DanielT28
How many APP (accelerator pedal position) sensors have you guys went thru since I've posted this ? I haven't had 1 single problem with this setup. No check engine lights. No stumbling whatsoever. The truck hasn't taken off Wildly on it's own. It's been very reliable. Also it proved to be a great anti theft device. I left my keys in my bumper at work and one of the guys seen me put them there. (he loves my truck. Always talks to me about it ) anyway while I was out of the yard he texted me saying that it drives nice and blah blah blah. I asked him how far he got and he said he moved it 3 parking spaces. Because he couldn't figure out how to activate the pedal. lol
I still have the same one I installed last summer with no issues. The driveability is much better with the IVS out if the equation as well.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Airstreamer67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielT28
How many APP (accelerator pedal position) sensors have you guys went thru since I've posted this ?
I haven't had 1 single problem with this setup. No check engine lights. No stumbling whatsoever. The truck hasn't taken off Wildly on it's own. It's been very reliable.
Also it proved to be a great anti theft device. I left my keys in my bumper at work and one of the guys seen me put them there. (he loves my truck. Always talks to me about it ) anyway while I was out of the yard he texted me saying that it drives nice and blah blah blah. I asked him how far he got and he said he moved it 3 parking spaces. Because he couldn't figure out how to activate the pedal. lol
Daniel, if I were to cut one of the wires on the IVS and run it through a switch, would it provide the theft prevention that you have?

Since I don't have a throttle problem, I would plan to leave the IVS in place and run the cut IVS wire through a hidden switch and back to the IVS, so that when the switch is open, the IVS would not work and the truck could be started but only idle. If I close the hidden switch, the truck would operate normally. When I park the truck, I would open the switch, which would then allow the truck to only run at idle, thus helping prevent its theft.

Is this correct? If so, would it matter which of the wires to run through the switch?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ If you're gonna cut a wire and put a switch inline, the wire to the starter relay would be a better bet. If you have an automatic, there's a connector under the dash with a jumper block that carries this circuit. You could push the terminals for the two red/blue wires out of that connector, and connect a switch to those terminals.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:22 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
You know I'm not sure that I would even mess with cutting and splicing into the IVS. I just wouldn't feel comfortable tellin you to do something like that when I haven't done it at all myself.
I just took mine off the pedal assembly. Left all the wires alone. And just remounted it in a spot within where the wires could reach. It works really good. Throttle is smoother. No CEL ever since I've done it either

Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas

This is where I mounted my ivs switch. Works really we'll. no problems

Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Pretty we'll hidden. Still no engine codes. No bucks. No complaints at all

Old 07-11-2014, 05:57 PM
powerstoked!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a question for you gents about this problem that I can't find the answer to anywhere. My truck has been running just fine since I bought it in 09. Last week I took a run down to the Home Depot, all was fine driving down there (only a few miles from the house) but on the way back, as I jumped on the freeway I got a dead spot in the middle of the accelerator pedal throw. If I backed off it worked and if I pushed through it it worked, but obviously I had a real bad jump when I hit the far side of the dead spot. This reoccurred from start up the next time I drove it a few days later, or so that seems how it was happening to me.

So I found this thread, consulted my factory shop manual for testing procedures, and went out and tested both the IVS and the APP sensor. The IVS worked as it is supposed to, on/off with full switched battery power, and the APP sensor had a good 5v vref input and a smooth variable output through the pedal throw on the AP leg. All values were in spec as per the Ford workshop manual including a solid ground leg on the APP connector.

My question is this... I have a 7 year old battery in there that I suspect has gone to sleep. I don't drive the truck daily anymore and it's sitting at 10.2v. I also think it's dragging my other battery (Optima Red top 34) down because that battery is only a couple years old and it is at 11.4 at the moment. In my experience, Optima batteries just don't ever die... I drained one down to like 4v one time and it was sitting for months like that, pulled it out of my old sploder, stuck it in my truck and drove around charging it for a while, good as new. Anyway, does anyone know what the cutoff voltage is for IVS output to the PCM? If I am putting out a low voltage through the IVS into the PCM, could the PCM be thinking that 10v or whatever it may be is too low and cut the APP signal? Damn electronic throttle mumbo-jumbo. Thanks in advance for the help gents! Ol Henry (my truck) and I sure appreciate it!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:17 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Get two new batteries of the exact same type and capacity. Any time you mix batteries, the weak battery will weaken the strong battery. It may or may not have anything to do with your APPS / IVS issue, but you'll have starting problems with batteries of mixed capacity.

As for the electronic throttle "mumbo jumbo", diesels don't have throttles. More specifically, our trucks don't have any way to mechanically control fuel flow. A mechanical accelerator pedal wouldn't do any good, because there'd be nothing to tie it to.

Quick Reply: Think your accel pedal position sensors bad? Think again.