Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel economy improvement with synthetic oil

Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel economy improvement with synthetic oil

Thinking about maybe switching from 15w-40 conventional to 5w-40 full synthetic. I was wondering, for those of you who run full synthetic, do you have any data on whether it improved your fuel economy?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
iv got the data,but it's not going to help you.i drive different routes and with various different weights all the time and it seems iv always done other things to the truck as well,so there's no way just the oil type would show up and be noticed in my records.not that iv seen anyway,but if you find otherwise let me know lol.

1993 ford F250HD DUALLY CONVERSION Gas Mileage (chipper truck) - EcoModder.com

if you drive a lot,it sure beats changing the oil so often.just once per every 3 dino changes is what i do.saves a lot of time and is about the same price,so i figured why not.

i'll help ya a bit to find them:
2013-04-30 - amsoil 5w 30 from the mobil 1 5w 40

2011-09-10 - Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Gear Lube In Both Axles

2010-10-06 - synthetic motor oil. First tank calculation using Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.-this was from motorcract 10w 40 dino.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just go ahead and try it!

I am certain if you find any improvement with Synthetic oil and post up your positive findings people will throw stones at you until you are not breathing anymore.

Pretty much happens every time anyone post anything positive about Synthetic oil.

Javier

Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by idiabuse
I am certain if you find any improvement with Synthetic oil and post up your positive findings people will throw stones at you until you are not breathing anymore.

Pretty much happens every time anyone post anything positive about Synthetic oil.

Javier
Maybe. But then again, that's what I thought would happen when I praised Zerex G-05 ... or Diesel Rx glow plugs. And while there was a bit of noise about the latter, I didn't think it was unreasonable. It takes time to change people's minds about certain things.

But changing anyone's mind isn't my goal. I'm just curious whether it's worth experimenting with synthetic. Most people say no. Bob the Oil Guy says definitely yes.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
It should, theoretically, reduce internal friction, thereby decreasing fuel consumption. If your truck is tuned well. I like synthetics because of the thermal stability and wide temperature range they work well in (like -35 to 100+); any fuel economy advantage is just icing on the cake. One downside is the possibility of oil leaks from older seals. Oh, and the price!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 AM
idiabuse
Senior User
I have gone over 5 years and 40,000 miles on a 7.3 with no oil change and have the pics to show.
5W30 Synthetic Diesel oil did the Job and was proven by a Used Oil Analysis
resulting in oil that was still good for continued use.

Unfortunate for me I had the lower hose suck closed one day on the HWY and it caused a seized piston which scored a cylinder which made me think hey my oil consumption finally quit!

I was getting a solid 20mpg around town and 22/25 mpg hwy

I use Synthetic oil in everything all from AMSOIL

Javier

Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by idiabuse
I have gone over 5 years and 40,000 miles on a 7.3 with no oil change and have the pics to show.
5W30 Synthetic Diesel oil did the Job and was proven by a Used Oil Analysis
resulting in oil that was still good for continued use.

Unfortunate for me I had the lower hose suck closed one day on the HWY and it caused a seized piston which scored a cylinder which made me think hey my oil consumption finally quit!

I was getting a solid 20mpg around town and 22/25 mpg hwy

I use Synthetic oil in everything all from AMSOIL

Javier
That's really impressive.

Why Amsoil, though? The Turbo Diesel Register double-blind study I read from 2007 showed that while Amsoil is as good as anything else, its high price isn't justified over something like Valvoline Blue Premium. I guess, though, if you're changing it only once every five years, it doesn't really matter what it costs.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
the reason i went from mobil 1 to amsoil was because i wanted to try a 30 weight oil rather than a 40.
i know you didn't ask me specifically,but i just wanted to toss my reason out there since you asked.
i should note,that if mobil 1 did offer a 30w diesel oil,i would had went with that instead.i didn't like having to mail order engine oil.not even a little bit.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im going to start doing some oil analasys on my 92 and see how long it can go. After some light reading (read: hours if not days) the 3k or 5k interval for dyno oil is a myth, in some cases. There have been incidents of dyno oil being fine for over 20k, so out of curiosity, im going to check mine. Just changed it, 9qts valvoline premium blue and 2qts lucas oil stabilizer. Going to check it at 3k and 5k and see what i get and go from there. If it turns out i cant go over 5k then i plan on synthetic and a bypass filter or .... or.... damn. Cant remember the name of the damn thing, the "spinny thingy"

Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I ran synth in my truck for a tank, and didn't notice a difference... But my engine is wore out.

I will try again with the new engine, and post results accordingly...

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Cant remember the name of the damn thing, the "spinny thingy"
A centrifuge?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
well remember you can't just track economy for a tank and notice anything.it would take several back to back tanks running the same route with the same loads to ever notice any increases so small of a gain such as this.even then,i doubt you'd see it show up in records.
also for tracking economy on a fresh engine,this wont work,because the engine will be braking in,and any slight differences there would be the engine freeing up more than the type of oil being used.
in short,don't focus of oil type for your economy gains.with trucks,the main focus should be aerodynamic tweaks.these are where you can actually see a difference in economy records.

im one to talk.i still haven't enclosed the large gaps between my underbody tool boxes yet.this would likely yield me one of the biggest gains i could ever do to my truck (think of my current rear wheel wells as if you have two massive windows rolled down all the time causing drag) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=129227
then once this is done,bring down the front valance again to push more air to the, what would then be,smoothed out sides.always something to do.always something.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My last UOA came back and advised I should go to 5000 on my Mobil Delvac 1300. Still had plenty of additive at 3000. Only 3000 before I send in another sample before changing.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
the reason i went from mobil 1 to amsoil was because i wanted to try a 30 weight oil rather than a 40.
i know you didn't ask me specifically,but i just wanted to toss my reason out there since you asked.
i should note,that if mobil 1 did offer a 30w diesel oil,i would had went with that instead.i didn't like having to mail order engine oil.not even a little bit.
Well glad you replied! You can rest because AMSOIL along with many other lube Manufactures buy base oil directly from Mobil1 for blending.
Mobil1 is the largest manufacture of Synthetic Lubricants on the planet.

Mail ordering your oil is a whole lot better than getting quantity blended oil locally, I said Quantity not quality!

I hope you purchase at least a Mobil1 oil filter because anything less and you wont receive the protection and long life the synthetic oil will offer you.
When purchasing filters for something you pay to drive you simply want the best filtration on the market, it is a ton cheaper to own over the long haul.

Now on my 7.3 I use SAE30 10W30 AMSOIL ACD formula and the engine has around 13,000 miles since new with the same oil in it.
The first 1000 miles I used AMSOIL break in oil and a WIX filter.

It uses about 2 qts every 2500/3000 miles so far.

Javier

Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scratcher
My last UOA came back and advised I should go to 5000 on my Mobil Delvac 1300. Still had plenty of additive at 3000. Only 3000 before I send in another sample before changing.
Could you post that up for all to see? I would be able to read it, Do you have a TBN reading also? hope so...

Javier

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel economy improvement with synthetic oil