Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me '88 XLT Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
02dynadude
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me '88 XLT Lariat

Got this from a friend for free and have begun wrenching on her. It had been sitting for 3 or so years, but i am bringing her back from the grave. I replaced the radiator, hoses, thermo, and belts this weekend, as well as put a set of 35x14.5x16.5's on. I still have a bit of work left to do, but little by little she is coming together. Let me know what you think and any advice on the following would help... fuel system (she runs a little rough). Cap, rotor & coil (thinking MSD? is it worth it?). Lastly the exhaust (Thinking magnaflow cat and single in dual out flowmaster set up?). Thanks for any info/recommendations you have to get this Frankenstein running smooth!

Oh, i also need a recommendation for new shocks?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice score, and a beer for ya for saving one of these great trucks from the grave. I currently have three 86-89 trucks that I have saved from scrap, one is my daily now.

FI 460 I assume?

As for tune up parts, there are specific parts I recommend and use myself for many reasons. Let me run them down.

Cap and rotor I use MSD, for this part and this part alone it is worth it to go MSD, they are VERY well made, have features that others don't and are cost effective. Better materials, a very electrically resistant plastic and brass terminals. Internal additions that prevent crossover. But my favorite feature is the plug wire retainer. Allows you to remove all the wires as a group, held in order and always held in place retained with screws. But with a separate snap in place piece for the coil wire so it can be removed easily on it's own. For $30 bucks it's very worth it. Cap and retainer is part number 8408, 8482($29.97 on summit) is with rotor assuming your still TFI, 8450 if duraspark. 84083 is a black cap if that matters to you, but I've never yet found a black retainer but you can paint it I guess.

Coil, stock ford coils are pretty decent, money is better spent on wires but if you need to replace the coil I have suggestions.

Wires, sounds like for you money is very well spent here as part of a tune up. The important factor on plug wires is ohms per foot. Some are as high as an incredibly BAD but for some reason expensive 7000 ohms per foot ie Accel. Both MSD and a company called Taylor Cable sell great wires at a fair price at a fantastic 50 ohms per foot. I personally like the taylors better as I find they last longer, come in more colors, and are cheaper. Taylor has many kinds the best IMO are the Thundervolt 8.2 $60-75 bucks depending on what route you go.

Exhaust is all personal preference, I personally don't like flowmaster mufflers. That baffle design tends to resonate and to me makes a horrible sound. I like the dynomax type design much better, the glass tends to take out all the sharp tones, leave the deep rumble, and not resonate.

Shocks is really a budget and use choice, none are terrible.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice truck man, Even better that it was free
I'm using Skyjacker 7000 Hydro shocks, They helped smooth out the ride a little compared to the original one's

Originally Posted by BruteFord
Exhaust is all personal preference, I personally don't like flowmaster mufflers.
Exhaust is definitely personal preference, because Flowmaster has always been my favorite, and then probably Magnaflow.
I can't comment on the Dynomax since I've never used one.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:50 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastback460
Exhaust is definitely personal preference, because Flowmaster has always been my favorite, and then probably Magnaflow.
Yup, Completely agree, to me your truck with 3" true duals and series 10 flowmasters would sound HORRIBLE. To me it would sound like it's always out of tune and has a vibrator hooked to a PA, lol.

To each there own, some people do cam swaps just to get the sound of an engine running terrible at idle so they can pretend they have a powerful engine. Some try it with oversized true duals and flowmasters.

I'm just teasing man, we each do what we want with our trucks, that's what makes them our trucks. For example I hacked the living S)&* out of my front fenders cause I like big tires on a lower/stock height truck.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, Completely agree, to me your truck with 3" true duals and series 10 flowmasters would sound HORRIBLE. To me it would sound like it's always out of tune and has a vibrator hooked to a PA, lol.

To each there own, some people do cam swaps just to get the sound of an engine running terrible at idle so they can pretend they have a powerful engine. Some try it with oversized true duals and flowmasters.

I'm just teasing man, we each do what we want with our trucks, that's what makes them our trucks. For example I hacked the living S)&* out of my front fenders cause I like big tires on a lower/stock height truck.
LOL, It's all good man. The system was on the truck when I bought it, and I won't touch it. I love the way it sounds and it turns a lot of heads
Sure there are times when I wish it wasn't so loud, but that has only crossed my mind maybe twice in 3 years

I would love to run bigger tires on my truck, but there is no way I would cut the fenders to make them fit

Oh yeah, And I don't have to pretend I have a powerful engine

Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 AM
JRSutton
Senior User
Wish my friends would give me trucks.

And definitely wise to carry four spares with you at all times, good thinking.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 AM
02dynadude
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JRSutton
Wish my friends would give me trucks.

And definitely wise to carry four spares with you at all times, good thinking.
Better safe than sorry, right!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 AM
ewalt98
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice score!

I have to recommend Bilstein shocks. They are a bit more than the average shocks you get from the local parts store, but they are worth it. Excellent control of the suspension movement, both on and off road. I have them on my F350 and Porsche, and just bought a set for my E350 motorhome. I have tried others, but keep going back to the Bilsteins.

I would also second the MSD cap/rotor assembly. They seem to be well built, and aren't much more than any others.
I would recommend the coil upgrade to something with a little more output so you can do the 6ltr tuneup (search for it). After I did it to my 351, the engine felt just a tad livelier, and had a little more pull above 2500-3000 rpm.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
02dynadude
Freshman User
Ewalt98:

Thanks for the info. I am looking in to the 6ltr tune up and will probaqbly go ahead and do that soon.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
02dynadude
Freshman User

Brute,

Your PM inbox is full and not able to accept any more PM's.