Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

Nephew In Motorcycle Accident

Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Nephew In Motorcycle Accident

Guys, my wife and I went away for a nice weekend. Just the 2 of us, kids stayed with a couple people for the weekend. 25 years of marriage. All was well until today coming home we got a call that my nephew was in a motorcycle accident yesterday evening. Just him, passing a farm tractor and somehow lost control and laid his bike down. He is in ICU right now, and he is looking a little better, but not much. It's been 24 hours since his accident, and he has shown small signs of improvement. What really gets me is, he was not wearing a helmet. His right leg is also busted up real bad. But it's the trauma to the head that has us really worried. 24 years old, and we are wondering if he'll live or die? If he lives, what kind of shape will he be in? We don't know at this point. What I do know, or at least I believe, is that had he had his helmet on, the brain damage would not have been as severe. Or at least I want to believe that. It took a near fatal accident back in 1983 before I started wearing a seatbelt. (I had the same thing, head damage from busting the passenger side door from the drivers seat with my head) Being a father, I really have a different feeling now when someone looses a child, or when one is really sick. I know some things are unavoidable, but some can be prevented, or at least the severity can be reduced. I know when you're younger you feel invincible, but that changes as you get older. The darnedest thing is, he was heading to a memorial service for a friend of his.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts and prayers, John....

FWIW, happy fathers day....

Old 06-16-2013, 10:50 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear this news, John. Hoping for the best

Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Prayers sent John. Make sure your family keeps talking to him as if he can hear and understand everything you're saying. His youth is in his favor, I hope his improvement continues and gets better yet.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 AM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear that John. I hope he can make a full recovery.

There have been a lot of studies done about benefits of wearing the helmet vs not wearing the helmet. I have had a few friends who had bike accidents, those who had helmets and more clothing seemed to fare better. I have determined that if I ever get the chance to ride, it will be with at least jeans, boots, jacket and helmet on.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
He was headed to a memorial service for a friend of his that was killed in a motorcycle accident. While at the hospital I talked to another victim of a motorcycle accident. I heard more details about my nephews accident today. Apparently the road he was on had a farm tractor driving on the median. It's wide enough to do that. The farmer said he looked back and saw no one, and pulled out into the right lane to get ready to make a left hand turn. He never saw him until he was coming around him. My nephew hit a pothole that was in the middle of those rumble strips which is what caused him to lose control.

They did a catscan on him today and swelling on his brain had gone down, and there was no more bleeding. They will operate on his right leg tomorrow. They are pretty confident they can save it. So, all and all, good news. He was moving his head today, and his arm movement increased, as did his strength. His arms are actually fine, surprisingly. He's still well sedated.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:58 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
He was headed to a memorial service for a friend of his that was killed in a motorcycle accident. While at the hospital I talked to another victim of a motorcycle accident. I heard more details about my nephews accident today. Apparently the road he was on had a farm tractor driving on the median. It's wide enough to do that. The farmer said he looked back and saw no one, and pulled out into the right lane to get ready to make a left hand turn. He never saw him until he was coming around him. My nephew hit a pothole that was in the middle of those rumble strips which is what caused him to lose control.

They did a catscan on him today and swelling on his brain had gone down, and there was no more bleeding. They will operate on his right leg tomorrow. They are pretty confident they can save it. So, all and all, good news. He was moving his head today, and his arm movement increased, as did his strength. His arms are actually fine, surprisingly. He's still well sedated.
John, I REALLY hate to hear this type of news. But I'm loving the fact that all the changes seem to be for the good!

I hope he makes a full recovery, and isn't hurt in the long term/crippled. Prayers definantly are being sent your way! And as stated before, keep talking to him and let him know he's in good hands and everyone is rooting for him. Hearing is the last thing to go usually, so even if he can't physically respond, he can at least hear you and know he isn't alone.

That alone makes a HUGE difference.

Let us know any updates, and if you need any help that I can help with or even someone to talk to, you know my number. Call any time.

Btw, happy fathers day and anniversary!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 AM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
swelling going done and bleeding stopping is definitely good news.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fingers are crossed for you brother, and your nephew..

Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
He coded several times today. They were trying to fix his leg. Apparently he had a bunch of fluid build up on his heart and lungs causing this. They are taking the leg at the knee right now. I have a lot of feelings flowing right now, and not too many of them are good. It has a lot to do with motorcycles, and riding without a helmet.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
He passed away a little while ago.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
He passed away a little while ago.
John, is really bothers me to hear, especially since he was my age.

I hope you guys can find some sort of peace and solace in this trying time. You know my number if you need me.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Thoughts and prayers. It is the same story over and over. "I didn't see him" Quote from the woman who took my son out back in 1997.
EDIT: Oh God, I just get sick when I hear these stories.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
Wow John, tremendously sorry to hear about your loss. Not much else I can say, but your family will be in my prayers.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
John. My most sincere and deepest condolences. My thoughts and prayers are sent up for your family.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nephew In Motorcycle Accident