Sponsored by: Moser

Grille assemblies? Images!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM
MontanaboyDesigns
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grille assemblies? Images!

So I have been looking for an original 1973 grille assembly because for some reason when 78 hit the original owner, the only owner before myself, swapped out the grille. Apparently this was a popular move that folks made or so I've heard. I am not a part of this scene, I think the 73-77 looks better, but that's just me so feel free to grumble at me you late 70's boys. And I like the idea of original stock components. So to find this stuff online isn't so hard, but original tin that's in good shape is a different story. And I'll always go local before buying this kind of gear online. I still don't know all about what is what with these assemblies, and insert combo's(or the highboy deal), but I think I came across a helluva find. I picked up this today and was told that it is indeed an entire grille assembly off a 1973 pickup. I forgot to ask what exact model, but I'm going back there later on this month. But I have a 1973 F250 Camper Special Custom. Highboy. So if you folks could share knowledge and opinions on this assembly based on the images and we'll see if we can't figure out if this is what it is. It's in good shape! I kind of had a heartbeat going when I saw it! There still might be one in there....

Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
That shell is the same from 73-77. The XLT optioned trucks had a red badge placed on the center vertical bar/divider thing.

The inserts there are from 73-75, in 76 and 77 they went to black headlight surrounds. 77 had orange turn signal lenses.

Looks pretty clean. They were made of aluminum and had an anodized finish which cannot be polished unless you remove the anodizing and polish the aluminum underneath then you have to keep polishing it to keep it shiny. Sometimes the anodizing will fade and it will not shine up without removing it. I personally have done this and don't recommend doing it unless you like sore arms and alot of polishing.

I sold a NOS out of box one with minor blemishes from storage for $200 several months ago. I would say that one is worth that plus it has the headlight buckets and lenses you need to do the conversion.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM
LI250
Senior User
Originally Posted by orangeford
Sometimes the anodizing will fade and it will not shine up without removing it. I personally have done this and don't recommend doing it unless you like sore arms and alot of polishing.
If you ever undertake that task again use EasyOff oven cleaner. Spray it on. Wait 10 minutes. Rinse it off. Let it dry and repeat prior steps. Twice usually does the trick but you may need a third try.

Polish with mothers aluminum polish or similar. Wipe down with metal prep. Spray with clear coat.

I just finished a set of taillight trim in about an hour and a half.

The active ingredient your looking for is sodium hydroxide. It is the only thing I have found to chemically strip anodizing. You can find it in drano or just buy lye and mix up your own batch.

Dont leave it on longer than 10 minutes at a time and WEAR GLOVES.

To the OP. Good find! I have been trying to find a '73-'77 shell for my '78 but no luck locally so far.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice find. I like the '73 style inserts better than the '76 that I have but haven't made any effort to find some and/or swap them out.
too many other projects going on to worry about that.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
good find, i recently got the same stuff you did out of a yard for like 70 bucks. i like all the grilles but this one is starting to become my favorite.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
It's all junk. I'll give you $5 to be nice, or trade for my '77 Grille inserts

Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM
MontanaboyDesigns
Senior User
Well I paid 150. That's because I like the old timer that runs the yard, and the county is really coming down on him on regs and such, and it's most likely going the way of the DoDo bird soon. Along with a lot of other salvage yards. To me it was worth what I paid, and I've seen similar for double. I might try that oven cleaner deal, but I should be able to bolt this on with little irritation. So, I haven't had the chance to really figure out the radiator support, do you guys think that I might have some other issue there? Some other old timer was telling me I might run into problems there because it's a 73 that now sports a 78 grille assembly. He thought there might be an issue going back to the original because there might have been more changed than what I thought on the surface. I'm not going to bolt it on right now because of where it's sitting where I'm addressing stupid engine issues.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the only thing that 'should' have been changed is the headlight buckets but either one will bolt right up.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:27 PM
MontanaboyDesigns
Senior User
Originally Posted by Poison Oil Racing
the only thing that 'should' have been changed is the headlight buckets but either one will bolt right up.
Thanks, dude. Hopefully it will!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MontanaboyDesigns
Well I paid 150. That's because I like the old timer that runs the yard, and the county is really coming down on him on regs and such, and it's most likely going the way of the DoDo bird soon. Along with a lot of other salvage yards. To me it was worth what I paid, and I've seen similar for double. I might try that oven cleaner deal, but I should be able to bolt this on with little irritation. So, I haven't had the chance to really figure out the radiator support, do you guys think that I might have some other issue there? Some other old timer was telling me I might run into problems there because it's a 73 that now sports a 78 grille assembly. He thought there might be an issue going back to the original because there might have been more changed than what I thought on the surface. I'm not going to bolt it on right now because of where it's sitting where I'm addressing stupid engine issues.

I think it'll drop in no problems. Where are you located? He didn't happen to have any '73 grille inserts only did he? I've looked for some off and on for a while, I'd like to swap them into my '77 but all the ones I find are cracked and broken.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM
MontanaboyDesigns
Senior User
"He didn't happen to have any '73 grille inserts only did he?"

Do you mean does he have any 73 inserts? I don't think so, but I'll see when I go back. Apparently this assembly is off a 73, which is what I have, and why I was so pleasantly surprised to find it locally and not all beat to hell. I'm in Missoula, Montana.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 PM
rogue40
Posting Guru
So I have been looking for an original 1973 grille assembly because for some reason when 78 hit the original owner, the only owner before myself, swapped out the grille. Apparently this was a popular move that folks made or so I've heard.
I remember when the 78 grill came out. The general consensus around here was it was grotesque.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rock auto has the inserts for $60 a pair. national parts depot $50 a pair

Old 08-06-2013, 07:08 PM
LI250
Senior User
I might try that oven cleaner deal, but I should be able to bolt this on with little irritation.
Its not something you "try" on a grill shell. If you don't commit you will be left with two different finishes. Try it on a small piece of trim first. Don't do it to the grill shell unless its really dull.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM
MontanaboyDesigns
Senior User
Originally Posted by LI250
Its not something you "try" on a grill shell. If you don't commit you will be left with two different finishes. Try it on a small piece of trim first. Don't do it to the grill shell unless its really dull.
Heh, well alright then.

Quick Reply: Grille assemblies? Images!