Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on removing shell?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM
RBG Ford F-150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on removing shell?

I have an '86 F-150 with shell. It has been there since '86. I like it most of the time but I am finding that I really need it removed every once in awhile. I have a motorcycle, lawn tractor, and I am moving to a new house. I really need it gone for awhile. However, I have removed one in the past on a Nissan and what I was left with was a mess with the adhesive backed insulation tape buffering between the top and rails of the truck. I am not worried about the process off lifting it and removing or replacing. What I experienced before is that the tape they used when it was originally installed will separate and leave a sticky mess. What is the best way to remove the top and create an easy "on/off" situation with the top?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 AM
RBG Ford F-150
New User
Let me see if I can explain better and hopefully ya'll will give me some suggestions?

This was my grandfathers truck. He bought this new with shell. Was used to pull a camper in his early retirement. It only has about 42,000 miles on it and has been garage kept. It is very sentimental to me and I don't want to change it's appearance permanently.

I have a Harley, a lawn tractor, and most importantly I am moving our family into a new home. In order to fit the motorcycle, mower and our furniture in the truck I would need to remove the shell.

What I am looking to do is take the shell off for short periods of time when I need the room. I see a lot of Threads on how to remove the shell, store the shell. What I am asking for is suggestions or ideas of what ya'll do to the rails and shell to make it more of an "on/off" situation?

When I take the shell off should I remove the adhesive insulation from the rails and replace it. Or I was thinking about removing the insulation from the rails then put new insulation on the shell itself? And if I'm removing the insulation from the rails, what products or process do you recommend so I don't damage the rails surface? Any comments or suggestions?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:04 PM
RBG Ford F-150
New User
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 237 Likes on 103 Posts
Every cap I've had since '91, the sealing tape was installed under the mounting rail on the cap, not on the bed rails. Prior to that, in my experience, the bone heads would put the tape on the truck instead, and actually drill holes and bolt the cap down. Sure am glad that isn't done anymore. But, if that's the way it is on your truck, remove the cap, and use 3M adhesive remover on the tape residue once you've peeled off the tape. When reinstalling, do it the right way, and adhere the tape under the mounting rail.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM
RBG Ford F-150
New User
Thank You!!! See, I haven't had a truck with a cap/shell (whatever) since the 80's and it was installed with the adhesive on the truck. I'm almost certain this one is the same way. It always seemed to me that it would make more since to put the adhesive backing on the shell.

It is also drilled and bolted like you described. I'm thinking after I've taken it off and go to replace it I should use those clamps? Where do I get them and how much should they cost? Or should I just bolt it back?

Also, just want to ask and make sure that 3M adhesive remover won't damage the paint?

PS, I tried to post pics and can't get it to work? I'd be happy to share but don't know how on this forum?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 237 Likes on 103 Posts
Since the bolt holes are already there, I think I'd just rebolt it down. That way the cap will be pretty much aligned as it was originally. But I'd definitely stick the tape to the cap instead. You may need a double thickness under the front bulkhead due to the slightly larger gap between the top of the bed and the cap front rail.
That 3M adhesive remover won't hurt your paint, it's designed for automotive, as well as other uses. I've used it quite a few times on my own trucks removing stickers and logos Ford thinks we all like. LOL
One other thing I just thought of, get some of those plastic trim tools to help scrap, lightly, the goo that will be there. Harbour Freight sells them, and they're quite cheap.
A heat gun could be used as well, just don't get crazy with holding it too close and possibly hurting your paint, then use those tools I mentioned.

I wondered why I couldn't view your attachments, someone smarter than me will chime in and hopefully help you out there.

You can get that adhesive remover at any of the parts chains, and some may even have the trim tools.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM
friction
New User
wd40 also works great for an adhesive remover, wont damage the paint finish in my experience. chances are you already have a can or 3 in the garage already.