Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

whats the best penetrating oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cubawashere
I used little brake fluid, ATF and the acetone altogether...Works great, somebody else mentioned it above. I first did a 50/50 with acetone & ATF but as some got used I mixed brake fluid and a bit more ATF back in July when I 1st came upon this thread.... Still smell the acetone in the mixture, but even if some is evaporated, works as well as before
Sounds good. New brake fluid or used brake fluid?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used new... if I would have had used on hand I may have added that too. I normally give my used oil to friends I know who use waste oil heaters

Old 10-29-2013, 03:13 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cubawashere
I used new... if I would have had used on hand I may have added that too. I normally give my used oil to friends I know who use waste oil heaters
Just wondering. I'd love to find a good mix that was completely free. Just using old fluids. New brake fluid is kind of expensive, as with ATF. Acetone is pretty cheap.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If any brake fluid, be sure to keep it off plastics and painted surfaces.

(not that acetone is good for these either)

I have that issue of machinist's workshop. (April 2007)
IIRC, The guy actually was pressing pins through a steel plate.
Pressure was read directly off the hydraulic ram.

http://www.sterkel.com/papers/vintag...ating_Oils.pdf

Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I can see where you are coming from... it doesn't use up that quickly, -mix soaks really well and spreads quickly. I work just about 7 days a wk on an assortment of equipment and vehicles. How often do I need to use varies, but to date I have used about 1 commercial spray bottle full, which is 32oz size. First time I mixed the 50/50 mix I only filled it half way.... then when level got to 1/4, I then topped off the rest of the bottle with ATF and brake fluid. I buy most of my fluids on bulk in gallon containers

^ that article you posted the link to states they used PSF (power steering fluid) rather than ATF, but makes sense since they are so closely related -can be pretty much substituted either way.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Actually the author grabbed the wrong bottle off the shelf to illustrate the article.

He clears it up here, on the HSM forum.
Please confirm MW article on Penetrating Oil [Archive] - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
brake fluid removes paint burns so intense you cant see flame

Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I mentioned brake fluid early in this thread . As stated early on , bad on surfaces that are finished . You can get DOT 3 cheaper in bulk , Cheep brake fluid and cheep ATF . Works great . I also save some used oil from my shop . Usually a mix of atf and oil . I use it in an old oil can for pivot points and ball sockets on my old tractors . Lubed one like that since the 80's .

Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
DEEP CREEP

I have recently tried deep creep and I'm quite impressed! First I used it to remove the spark plugs on my 97 f150 with a 4.2 v6. I got to say it sure made a differance. At the same time I have been using it for an air tool oil. I got really tired of using an air tool oil in a bottle that's very messy. Got tired of spilling some air tool oil. With or without the straw it is easy to give a few shots into an impact before I use it. Quick and easy! This actually doesn't have a bad smell to it either. I was extremely skeptical about using it to clean my guns but it works the same if not better than hoppes #9. I use reloads through my 44 magnum. There was buildup around crevices of my cylinder that are normally tough to remove. But they came right off! My girlfriend has a problem with me cleaning guns in the house do to the smell of the normal gun cleaners. But she was OK with this smell. I used it with my bore snake. Happy with the results. Again no mess! I have used it to clean the top of my oilly and greasy tool box. I tried brake clean and it didn't clean the surface. This stuff is quite a degreaser!! Its not bad for paint either. Use it after an oil change and grease job to get greasy finger prints off the body of my truck. Got to say really impressed with it. Sure does make a difference. Otherwise I find pb blaster and liquid wrench extrely good. Especially for half the price.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
^^^ I mentioned Deep Creep also . As you state it works well and has many uses . Short story long , there are many good products out there . Problem is , no one product does all well ! So , many products , many DIY concoctions . So , look for what works for what you do . Keep a few name brands on hand , try some witches brew . Just look for the best for the job at hand . That is what I do anyway .Happy Wrenching !

Old 11-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Scerb
Senior User
I like how you can buy PB blaster by the gallon with a nice metal spray can. Lasts forever.