Sponsored by:

Mojave Trail

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:43 PM
memphis88
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mojave Trail

A couple of buddies and I are trying to plan a trip for a trail ride across the Mojave. The trail is roughly 150 miles of salt flats, a little rock crawling, sand dunes, and some other stuff.

Right now my truck is completely stock with 32 mud brutes. I was watching some videos of stock suburbans and other trucks that size making the trip. I was wondering if there anything I would need to do to my truck for this trip. I've done a few other trails in my bronco up in the Seqouias and Yosemite area, and she handled it all just fine. The biggest trail I've done was a 25 mile stretch. So this is a really big jump.

Is there anything that anyone can offer as to what should be done to my truck before I make this trip? Right now it's scheduled for February/March timeframe. I'll get some more info on the trail we're planning for tonight and post it up tomorrow.

Thanks for any input!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
First off you mentioned there will be minor rock crawling. How minor is minor? Like small rocks stuck in the ground or actual boulders? Cause a stock bronco probably won't make it over some boulders on it's own...

I assume you know the normal supplies you should bring and all that jazz, I'd grab some extra parts and tools to keep around. You might consider a small lift and bigger tires? Umm, make sure all your fluids are changed and good, hoses and vacuum lines are good, no leaks etc.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Talk to rudedogii, I know he has an account here, but I dont think he is here much. I know he checks his youtube alot...He could give you some good advice also.

rudedogii - YouTube

Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Take plenty of water, and several changes of clothes. 150 miles of the trail will not be done in one day. I was going to do the Mojave trial when I got my Bronco updated, and found a link to a guy who has written books on it (wish I could find that link now) and he spent 3 days traveling 126 miles. Take your time, don't push it and the Bronco will be fine. I plan on having two spare tires on mine when I go along with a tall jack, extra water, sleeping bag, and spare parts. Of course, you never know what will break or snap off out there, and there is no cell service, so always go with a buddy or two in case one vehicle becomes immobile.

Jim

I will try and find that link for you, it is on my desktop which does not have internet access at the moment.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Some specs other than tire size would be helpful.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM
memphis88
Freshman User
the supplies i plan on taking are 2 extra tires, extra hoses, fluids, relays, fuses for the truck. supplies for myself are usual camping gear plus a gallon of water a day and we plan on doing the trail in 4-5 days, from the research we've been doing most convoys can do it in 3 but we're also going to enjoy the scenary.

As to the rock crawling, we're going out of our way to do it, its going to be whatever is on the "road' sort of crawling. A few videos we saw had some boulders in the way but from we've seen we can get around them if need be.

As to my truck its a stock 302 with E4OD and manual lock hubs.

The vehicles right now for the convoy are my truck, my buddies cherokee, an extended jeep rubicon, a GMC Jimmy.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Just noticed you are in Lemoore, not too far from me. Sounds like you have a good plan. Should be a lot of fun.

Jim

Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ouch a 302... Hope you bring a strong chain or towing strap, or have a winch.... I'm not saying it will break but I don't think it will enjoy going through that..

Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Why you speak about something you don't know? I've taken my truck which has exactly the same config as his to places way more difficult than you'll ever get yours. It might not be the best engine for torque, but believe me, it gets the job done quite well. Do a little research and you'll find out the 351M has cooling problems which the 302W doesn't, and that the Windsor is in general a way more reliable engine.

To the OP: It's very important that you make sure all the fluid levels are fine before you go on this trip, and I don't mean the ones you always check, those are a given, I mean the differentials and the transfer case. If possible also grab your grease gun and hit all the U-joints and steering parts you can. What to bring with you for basic spares? An engine belt and a replacement U-joint.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Encho
Why you speak about something you don't know? I've taken my truck which has exactly the same config as his to places way more difficult than you'll ever get yours. It might not be the best engine for torque, but believe me, it gets the job done quite well. Do a little research and you'll find out the 351M has cooling problems which the 302W doesn't, and that the Windsor is in general a way more reliable engine.
Whoa settle down a bit! I know what kind of issues my engine has and the power band it has. I also know the 302 isn't a truck motor. It's a car motor. If I can get my 4wd fixed properly it will go anywhere anyone else's bronco will go. I'm not trying to start a fire here, but I don't find a stock 302 to be a very good truck motor is all. Which is why whenever someone goes on about putting on in, most people will tell them not to bother and to upgrade to the 5.8... Either way, this isn't about one kids opinion on a Ford product. This is about OP and what supplies he needs for this long and probably awesome trip.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
I'm very "settled", but do tell us exactly what did you mean with this: "Ouch a 302... Hope you bring a strong chain or towing strap, or have a winch" since to me that's to the very least false information, you're making it sound like the engine isn't reliable, so if that wasn't the intention, which was it? have you tried a 302 in a Bronco?.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:33 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
The 302 is a pretty small engine and requires higher rpms to get the torque down that is needed. Same information that has been given on other threads. Though I have not tried one in a bronco, I've tried one in both mustangs and F150s. Mustang it did well in as it was design, the truck it didn't feel like a V8.

In the end I didn't say it to be mean or judgemental, it wasn't a serious post either, anyone who goes anywhere should have a good chain or strap and a winch no matter their engine size or what they know their truck can do. Mother Nature can be cruel when you least expect it.

As for reliability, that will depend on mileage and history of upkeep. I know for a fact that my motor is high mileage and that the oil is almost always a quart low, I also know that the 2 rear cylinders don't get cooled properly unless you have the right thermostat and they are prone to burning up. All in all I wouldn't try such a trip with my bronco. Not until I've rebuilt the motor and know that everything is fine.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All this talk of a 302 not being a truck motor is garbage. It isn't about 500 pounds of torque, it's all about gearing. You can take the baddest big block around and put too much tire with too little gear and it wont pull itself any better than a stock 4 banger Toyota. I personally owned a 72 f-100 with a 289,granny low 4 speed and single speed transfer case. It would go anywhere in the sand (which is what we have most of here in Florida) that you pointed it. All it had was 32 11.50 15 maxi trac tires on it,but it had 3.70 gears. I hooked bumpers with a Jeep Honcho with a built 401 and pulled it at least 100 yards down a dirt road. Sure if you are going to run 40" tires on your truck, torque is a big deal but it still wont matter it you arent running the gearing to take advantage of it. Look at the old military jeeps with 4 cylinders. 70 h.p and 110 ft-pds of torque , but would go just about anywhere. Its about matching the components you have to maximize what they will do together. I've been around a few years and have owned several 4x4's and have seen 4 and even 6 cylinders pull as well or better than 400+ c.i. trucks. My cousin had an 84 Bronc with a 302 HO out of a state trooper mustang w/ 38" gumbo mudders (the precursor to super swampers for those who dont know) with a c6 and 4.56 gears. It would go ANYWHERE in 2 wheel drive that 4x4 toyotas would go locked in 4 wd and would also pull a 21 foot Bullet bass boat out of any sand hills pond we put it in.
Just my 2 cents worth

Old 06-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I have heard (read actually) several threads on this site where people say the 302 is a car motor, and does not work well in trucks. I have no personal experience with this though as mine has the 5.8.

Jim

Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
It's been moving my truck and pulling Jeeps, Toyotas, boats, and so far mine has worked. Just recently I was told by the owner of a MAF 5.8 that he felt my truck was actually quicker from a stand up (he was the one that installed my rebuilt E4OD). I suspect I have better gearing than him, which just proves what gator there said... Anyway, let's get this one back on track, sorry to the OP, it was my fault this one derailed, but trust your 302, it will take you there and back without issues.

Quick Reply: Mojave Trail